CPU bottleneck maybe?

Hello simmers,

I bought the Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X video card, should receive it in the next few days.
I did not really give any thought to my cpu with this upgrade.

My cpu is a AMD X6 1100t processor with Corsair vengeance memory of 8 gigs.
Does someone see trouble for me? i use a triple 22 inch screen setup with a AMD 6950 graphics card now.

I used to have a HD6870 a few years ago, with an 1100T overclocked and than it was already a bottleneck, so yes it is. It is already bottlenecking your 6950 :). I upgraded to a 3570k and my framerates increased by quite big amounts, even more so when I than upgraded to a 7950.

Of course this is all depending on the games you play, but overall most simracing games do require some CPU juice.

Oke that is a crystal clear answer!
is the Sapphire R9 290 still good upgrade if i switch to Intel i?
AMD videocards perform just as well on an Intel and AMD got some good things in the pipeline for their videocards. Is it a 290 or a 290X? Cause for €330 you have a 290X which is quite a bit better than a 290. Also AMD will be coming with their new generation within a few months, but than again, the top models will be double that price ;-).

I am still living in the age that we bought amd cpu's and allway's amd gpu's with it ;-)

I will have a look at the 290X model, i can still change the order so that must be no problem.
Thanks for the quick reply's and help

I only can confirm that the X6 bottleneck the R2x series cards. But it depends a bit of the games. My is "only" a R9 280x and since I've upgraded to Intel Xeon the fps increased dramatically. Especially the min. lowest framerate what is important in my opinion. Was a big step forward.
With an X6 and full grid in racing sims like R3E or AC you'll go completely under with it.
Never mind if you overclock the X6 till smokin ...

Oke, i received my new videocard.
Upon updating the drivers and got it running smoothly.

Assetto corsa run's settings maxed out super smooth with no lag, my Processor run's a small 30% load my memory 35%.

Project cars (wich did not run smoothly before) also run's maxed out settings triple screen no lag, processor 50-60% load, memory 45%.

So i am not upgrading my processor, i see no need for that, i will oc it to 6x4,0Ghz if needed.
My Athlon II X6 1100t does his work well.

Oke, i received my new videocard.
Upon updating the drivers and got it running smoothly.

Assetto corsa run's settings maxed out super smooth with no lag, my Processor run's a small 30% load my memory 35%.

Project cars (wich did not run smoothly before) also run's maxed out settings triple screen no lag, processor 50-60% load, memory 45%.

So i am not upgrading my processor, i see no need for that, i will oc it to 6x4,0Ghz if needed.
My Athlon II X6 1100t does his work well.

I can barely believe that, a phenom X6 1100t is stock clocked not capable of that, I worked with dozens of them. Mine ran at 4.2 GHz, liquid cooled and did worse. Side note, it never ran at 100%, it was just that inefficient.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 164 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 309 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 444 39.6%