Couple of questions on the newest update + car list

I'm trying to figure out if my AC is updating properly.

I've got it saying 0.21.2 and I have the DOF effect and I can certainly see the visuals in game have changed too.

But I'm missing a whole bunch of cars that are described on the AC cars list.

Ie, no Ferrari F458 GT2, no Mercedes SLS, no Ferrari La... and I've seen a really nice AC Cobra that I can't seem to find anywhere.
But then I do have the latest Lotus for this latest update present which baffled me further.

I've also got a bug where all the automatic clutch cars won't use auto-clutch unless you turn it on as a driving aid, but it seems that this is just common to me.

For now I'm thinking a full delete and re-install is probably the safest bet, unless all this is normal behaviour?

Thanks for any help

Dave

edit: OK just gone via Steam to see if they were DLC, but the car list on Steam is different.
They do have pictures of an SLS and F458 GT2 in the media banner at the top of the page, but they are not in the car list.

Then the La Ferrari is obviously one coming soon as it's on the official website as a car.

So this Cobra then? Is that a modded car?

Perhaps my game is updating ok then. Mystery solved. Nothing to see here...

First off, the Ferrari 458 gt2, SLS, La Ferrari and many other models have not yet been released. They are scheduled for either version 1.0 or later DLC's. The cobra you have seen is a free mod. You can find many of these in the Mods section or the official forum.

http://www.racedepartment.com/forums/assetto-corsa-mods.36/

As for the auto clutch problem, can you provide more information? Which cars, what happens on shift, ect.

Hey Ryan,

That's great, saves me a 12gig re-download to get everything!

As for the clutch. I just load AC, pick say the F458, pro mode, go to drive at say Silverstone.

Car in pits, click steering wheel, enter cockpit. Car sat idling in neutral, hit the right hand paddle to shift to 1st and the car just stalls.

If I choose auto-clutch in the menu then it works ok but I don't have to do that for the ABS and blipping to work, they work fine.

I'm not sure if I have to turn it on manually in the menu but if I do it reverts to custom realism and doesn't remain in 'pro' mode.

All the auto cars like Huayra, 12C and F458 do this.

I wouldn't mind so much but then when I fire up a manual gearbox car I keep forgetting and I end up having to go back out to the menu and turn the auto-clutch back off then reload back to the car hehe.

Is there a keyboard short-cut for it? Maybe I turned it off without knowing it and it's defaulting off for all cars or something?

Thanks

Dave

Ah, I believe your problem here is just a misunderstanding aswell. The "autoclutch" these cars are equiped with isn't really an autoclutch in the sense of an aid. It's more like a semi-automatic manual. When you pull the paddle to shift into first gear if you do not provide throttle the car will stall, just as it would with a foot operated clutch and h-shifter.

Just provide a small amout of throttle as you pull the paddle to get the car rolling, if you come to a stop go all the way down into neutral just as if it is another gear.

Ah ok that clarifies what I'm seeing now.

It's a shame though that the behaviour we'd need for these cars to be as per real life is already there if we enable the auto-clutch aid, but if we do it throws us out of pro mode... while the other driving aids like abs and blipping work ok in pro mode.

Perhaps it's just a simple tweak for KS devs to make for these types of cars at some stage :)

Cheers

Dave

Actually for most models this is a real life effect. Cars like this have a manual gearbox, which is controlled by the computer. In auto the computer does all the work. In economy or sport the computer does most of the work, with you deciding when to shift. But in race mode, which is what we are using in Assetto Corsa, it acts as a manual transmission.

Production cars with semi-automatic / sequential gearbox in AC behave "fine" if you omit the fact that they stall at zero speed. Kunos says it is like this because AC is a racing simulator and implementing stuff like this (as well as low speed physics) would be too much of a hassle compared to what it really adds to racing (i.e. not much).

It's a pity for sure but we need to understand that they have limited personel and they need to focus on the most important stuff only.

Ah ok that clarifies what I'm seeing now.

It's a shame though that the behaviour we'd need for these cars to be as per real life is already there if we enable the auto-clutch aid, but if we do it throws us out of pro mode... while the other driving aids like abs and blipping work ok in pro mode.

Perhaps it's just a simple tweak for KS devs to make for these types of cars at some stage :)

Cheers

Dave

I've wondered about what benefit there would be to choosing "pro" mode rather than "custom" and setting the parameters I want - ABS, blip, and auto clutch. Is there some other factor to "pro" mode that's hidden that I should be wanting?

I've wondered about what benefit there would be to choosing "pro" mode rather than "custom" and setting the parameters I want - ABS, blip, and auto clutch. Is there some other factor to "pro" mode that's hidden that I should be wanting?

I think mainly on league/lap time boards the times will be split, or even when joining a multi-player game it may be locked to Pro settings only.

It's generally ok but it's just the lack of attention to detail that frustrates me for a high end car simulator.

To have automatic cars stalling themselves instead of clutching in at idle makes you wonder what other corners are being cut that you can't see.

Dave

Okay, I'll start a list:
- you cannot drive slower than 3.6 km/h, the car just stops.
- there is no throttle cut if you leave your foot on the gas during a downshift
- cockpit shiftlights don't behave like real shift lights (ie they are just a basic function of engine rpm)
- speedometer in cockpits shows "GPS" speed and not speed measured at the wheels like it should
- you can start the car in 6th gear without disengaging the clutch by just pushing the gas pedal until the car moves
- gearboxes will let you downshift at any time even though its real counterpart is supposed to be protected against over revving (ie in a real GT3 cars, the gear won't shift if you are over revving)

the list of small details that are not 100% spot on is actually quite long... but the core characteristics of the game are so much superior to any other sim that you forget about those imperfections pretty quickly, well, at least for me.

this list applies to any realism setting. It's small detail features that are not 100% properly implemented in Assetto Corsa (yet). I'm optimistic it might change in the near future and after the first release.

Anyway when racing, you hardly pay attention to any of these details.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 279 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 189 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 191 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 139 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 248 13.5%