could use a teacher!

Pritch

Pritch
Hi all , i was wondering now i have my new PC, up and running if anyone would like to teach me how to setup FWD cars in race 07 (any add on i have them all) either 1 to 1 or run a setup class. Its about time i learnt how to set up a car .
thanks in advance .....

This should get you started.

TuningSetups.jpg

One thing to keep in mind is that on front wheel drive cars you need to keep the weight on the front wheels. If you are having issues with understeer when exiting corners and the other setup information in the image isn't working, try and adjust your dampers by raising the value of the front slow rebound and lowering the value of the rear slow bump. If this makes it worse, do the opposite, lower the front rebound and raise the rear bump.

The other option is to try some of the faster drivers setups on the same car ... when you find one that you like... compare it to the default setup... then change for example the tyres pressures back to default and see the difference... do this for all and try to work out what each bit does or a combination of them do... it wont give you a setup but it may help you understand... it works for me.. and quite soon i realised i liked RWD cars alot more than i used to... I even use the BMW in WTCC. I would even go as far to say its easyer to get a RWD car working for you than a FWD... Wtcc bmw is not very good example of RWD fun...

Thanks for the advice guys but im one of these people that really needs to be shown how to do something before i actually pick it up. So if anyone would like to show me how to basically setup a car , that would be great.

Setting up a car isn't really something you can "show", it is something you have to learn. You need to learn why you change settings in order to understand when to change them. I have shown you in the chart what to change in order to resolve issues listed but if you don't understand how things work or how to tell if your car is pushing or if you are suffering from power oversteer then you are not going to be able to setup a car without help.

Wish you all the best on learning to setup a car.
Jim

If you have learned to upshift and downshift, steer left and right, then you have begun the setup process. You only need to make similar adjustments to other parts of the car. Start with one car, one track. After your laptimes have stabilised look for improvements thru laptime, corner speed, decreased tire scrub sounds and driving ease.

There is an alternative!
I have noticed that some individuals can drive a default car, or any other setup virtually as fast as their own. Natural talent or gaming ability, develop it!

@ Jim , I going to ask what chunking is...I think its skipping,,, when i turn in the car takes 2 or 3 bites/skipps to move...
I do realise that at the age of 5 the whole of North America knows this ( @ Yves:)) and im proberly totatly wrong with my thoughts.. But this is how we learn , by asking when we dont know.... :thumbsup:

All about practice and experience, when I started here at RD it hadn't been that long since I even started using manual gears. Take it one thing at a time so as not to overwhelm yourself. Gears, steering, and brake bias are probably a reasonable place to start, before moving onto suspension and differentials which are a bit more complex.

More importantly though is making sure you are aware how to drive an FWD car. So many people try to drive them like single seaters when they don't have the power to weight ratios to make that kind of approach pay off.

EDIT: That last paragraph seems very condescending but that's not how it was meant. Trying to be helpful :)

Tire chunking is something that you won't experience in this game. The information is real life information and tires can lose small chunks of rubber at times if there are issues with the setups. Even though my chart deals with real cars, the information is still valid for this sim. That being said that is one troubleshooting step you can ignore. The point to the tire chunking statement is to let you know that you can set the tire pressures too low which will result in undesirable handling or excess tire wear.

More importantly though is making sure you are aware how to drive an FWD car. So many people try to drive them like single seaters when they don't have the power to weight ratios to make that kind of approach pay off.

EDIT: That last paragraph seems very condescending but that's not how it was meant. Trying to be helpful :)

I don't think is condescending. I have precisely that problem...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back