Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyer_july.jpg

Servername: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM
Class: Car of the Month - Chevrolet Corvette '65
Track: Falkenberg/ Oesterreichring 79 - Zeltweg (sprint /feature)
Conditions: 17.00 in game time

Practice: 20 mins
Qualification: 10 mins
Race: 20 laps

Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note 2: This is a 2 race event. Race 1 is a sprint race - no pitstops. Race 2 has 1 pit stop as mandatory. Please read Warren's pit stop tutorial here for tips on a smooth and error free pit stop.

Entrylist:
  1. Stuart Thomson
  2. Hans Sneep
  3. Luc Frachon
  4. Amir Margalit
  5. Matt Crouch
  6. Bert Van Waes
  7. Driver
  8. Driver
  9. Driver
  10. Driver
  11. Driver
  12. Driver
  13. Driver
  14. Driver
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
  21. Driver
  22. Driver
  23. Driver
  24. Driver
  25. Driver
  26. Driver
  27. Driver
  28. Driver
  29. Driver
  30. Driver

Run a few laps on Falkenberg,very difficult with the Vette to keep it on track or on speed,we did a race with the Elite that was not easy bud the Vette is a different game .I am curios how this will turn out:pray3:

Hans

I tried to go online but it says "could not connect to the server". That's before I can access the lobby, just when your username and password are displayed.
Can anyone try and tell me if it's something wrong with my connection or if the Simbin server is down?

EDIT : OK ignore my question, just found Ramon's post about the Lobby fix.

Race 2 tonight was one of the best races I've had. These Vettes are serious fun!
I did an hour's practice this afternoon and it paid off as I was able to learn how to drive these beasts and build a good setup - although apparently it wasn't to everyone's taste :) I found that drifting seems to be the fastest way to drive them, at least for me, even though it's not natural to me as I normally try to be neat in my driving.

Race 1 :
I qualified in pole but had a poor start and Bert took 1st position. I was able to pass him when he went wide at turn 2 (the tight right-hander) and then spent the rest of the race pushing to try and build a gap. I won the race around 12 seconds ahead of Amir. I was really happy with that, as I was not entirely sure that I'd be able to keep sliding the car around for 20 laps without crashing.

Race 2 :
Again qualified in pole in the high 2.04s if my memory serves me right.
And again, terrible start and I found myself 4th after the chicane behind Bert, Amir and Matt (although not necessarily in that order). I passed Matt after a couple of laps, then Amir, Bert and I had a great battle for about 1/3 of the race. Very close with several position changes, huge fun! Eventually, I passed Bert when he went a bit too wide. A bit later he crashed at the tricky right-hander just after the left kink, and so it was just between Amir and I. I was faster but he was defending very well, until his pitstop on lap 10. I thought that now was the time to do a "Schumacher special", ie. push very hard just before pitting in order to pass Amir in the pits. Unfortunately I am not Schumacher and the in lap wasn't very good.
I refuelled and changed all four tyres - I didn't think of only changing rears tbh. Amir and Stuart did and so after everybody had pitted, I was not behind both of them : Amir with a 9 sec gap! but also 2 secs behind Stuart. I managed to pass him at the kink. Now with only 5 or 6 laps to go, I had to push very hard to catch Amir and pass him if possible.
That was another great moment. The gap kept decreasing, all the way to about 2.5 seconds, but then with 2 laps to go, I made a silly mistake and lost 3 seconds in the process. A bit further somebody had a spin at the chicane in front of me and I lost some more time avoiding him. These two incidents made me lose my concentration, not to mention that my rear tyres had seen better days (that's the drawback of drifting I guess), whereas Amir kept it under control until the finish line. My last couple of laps were quite poor and I finished 2nd 5 seconds behind him. Well done Amir, you stayed cool under pressure for the whole race, I was impressed.

A great evening again, thanks a lot Stuart for organising these and thanks to all who race tonight.

• Matt Crouch

I did an hour's practice this afternoon and it paid off as I was able to learn how to drive these beasts and build a good setup - although apparently it wasn't to everyone's taste :)

I didn't say it was bad I just said it was ridiculous :D. I used it myself in race 1 and enjoyed it immensely. Your setup and the default setup were like driving different cars though. In the default setup I was lifting off to stop myself pushing miles out wide, in yours I was lifting off to stop the oversteer. I couldn't match my times at-all when I tried either Sam's watkins setup or Stuart's setup

My races:

Race 1, I managed to get round without spinning, it was a bit close at times but I kept it on for 3rd. Interesting first half and a relatively calm second half.

Race 2, I decided to go with a more sedate setup for this one and used Sam's watkins setup.
I don't know what happened at the start but I got a blinder to come from 4th or 5th into the lead after the chicane. It was never really going to stay like that and I dropped back to 4th for a lap or two before taking too much of the yellow black stuff on the inside of that vaguely uphill corner. I just lost all grip and got stuck on the ridge for about 15 seconds. Hans got past and I started to slowly catch up. Hans spun, then I decided to wait to pit to see where everyone else came out after pitting. I figured we might be close with about 30-35 seconds to the front.
Turned out the pit stops took quite a long time and I was about 30 seconds in the lead for a lap while our pit stops were out of sync. Went for my stop, but despite two practice entrances I still spun it by slowing down for the pits too late. Stop took about 55 seconds in total and put me back behind in 4th place until the end. Dropped quite a lot of time in general in that one and came off / spun a couple of times as well

• Bert Van Waes

yeah indeed guys.
It was a wow for me too.

The first race i had a great start and qualify. But in the race i had a big spin pretty early and i think Hans couldn't see me through the smoke as he blasted into me. The rest of the race i tried to keep it going without going to pit and that worked a bit, but i had damage left rear and the back end loved to wing around in turns to the right.

Second one was huge fun indeed Luc and Amir. Awesome close racing and battles. Loved every second off it. But a sudden spin/little crash in lap 9 made me go in early, only to find out that the car seemed to be stuck again just infront off the guy, and buggy away it was... Shame. I need to fix the thing you always post Stuart about the pitsstop. I'm afraid i would miss the pit stop place alot but it's probably better anyway because this is not working at all with non-default tracks.

Great races guys. Very quick car but indeed needs to slide around sometimes.:)
And Luc, it seems i was the only one then who used the setup on both tracks, on the second one it was great!
Ran the fastest lap off the race with it. Great setup mate!

Tx Stuart and my excuses for the falling asleep eventually while watching the race and waking up whell, just around now:s

Greets

very good racing .race 2 was awsome.
i didn't have a good set up for the races so i downloaded stuart's and luc's setups. luc's set up was way too agressive for me .as for stuart's set up, well as stu said it was a bit soft for my taste.
looking at stuart's set up i found out that he chose to set the power to 10% and the coast to 30%.. i then went back to my own set up which was basicly good but the power was set to 80% and the coast to 50%. changed the values to stuart's settings and bam i was 2 seconds faster. :drool:
as for the 1st race luc was in a class of his own and was drifting all over, i was sure that his tyres will be worn out after a couple of laps which didn't happen in race 1. great driving there luc . i was sorry that everyone else got troubles which meant that there wasn't real racing at the 1st race.
2nd race a totaly diffrent story.
i have to admit that i didn't think that the vettes could be so much fun and that the race would be that close.
in race start had a very good start and matt .bert. luc and i had a very good battle while stu is watching from behind waiting for my mistakes. i wanted to win this one badly. got into my own rythem and tried not to do stupid mistakes. at 2 times i ran too wide in t1 'cutting it and was afraid to get a stop and go. both times luc and bert were all over me . for the entire 5 or 6 laps the battle went on while i was leading and defendidng the best i could. then bert made a mistake and it was luc and i. at lap 10 i
made my pit stop only changing rear tyres. luc kept on racing and the next lap came into the pits changing all tyres which meant more time in pita. i managed to regain 1st place after the pit stop with stu coming out of the pits followed by luc. wow i was looking fwd to the battkl but this guys weren't catching me.
at the last 5 lap luc passed stu and was gainig time on me. i tried to stay calm and not to make foolish mistakes especialy in t1 . finally luc made a little mistake and i won.
:that:
really wanted this one.:hug-left:
luc and bert you should join more racers it was some good racing and enjoyed the battles a lot.
btw: can someone upload the replay for race 2 and maybe some pictures? this 1 i have to watch again .
thx stu for this event and hope too see all of you and many more for the mini race on tuesday.

Again qualified in pole in the high 2.04s if my memory serves me right.

Well actually my memory didn't serve me right... I now remember that high 2.04s is the best time I managed when practising in the afternoon but in quali, didn't manage a 100% clean lap so it was more like mid-2.05s.

luc and bert you should join more racers it was some good racing and enjoyed the battles a lot.
I'd love to race more but busy job + wife + 2 kids (3 in a few months' time!) mean little time available. This week I should be able to race a bit more as my wife and kids are on holiday at my in-laws'!
But yeah Amir, it seems that every time we race together, we get into great battles!

Ran the fastest lap off the race with it. Great setup mate!

Tx Stuart and my excuses for the falling asleep eventually while watching the race and waking up whell, just around now:s
:bump2:No I managed to beat that after you fell asleep :biggrin1: but only by a tenth or so.

EDIT :
I uploaded both replay files there :
race 1 http://rapidshare.com/files/260164222/Falkenberg_090725_2131.Vcr.html

race 2 http://rapidshare.com/files/260164224/Oesterreichring_1979_090725_2227.Vcr.html

Now as Amir says, if someone feels like posting some pictures too, we'd love to see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%