Cost effective Formula style rim for Simucube 2 - Does it exist?

Hello, I have recently made the jump from a T500rs to a Simucube 2.

I have a Thrustmaster 599xx Evo rim that I am able to still use after purchasing an adapter from Sim Racing Coach.

However, it's not compatible with the Ferrari F1 Rim, so I need to source one as I do enjoy using a formula rim.

The prices seem really expensive though, so just wanted to ask if there are any options out there that aren't in the £600/£700 range?

I play in VR so don't need displays. It's the form factor more than anything I'm after.

Thanks in advance.

USB only but:
SRM Fanatec wheel converted:

Upvote 0
As @Andrew_WOT stated, Martin Ascher’s F28 is the most cost effective formula wheel if you want SC wireless. It’s also the best built, even better quality than Cube’s Formula Pro. If you get on the wait list, or Auto Notify from SRB, you can maybe get in on a purchase when he restocks later this month.
I wouldn’t wait long though, Ascher Racing’s wheels and button plates division is being taken over by KW Automotive and no idea how production will be after that. It’s highly possible nothing will change but why take chances? Or you could be crazy like I am and build your own using the SC2 button module, a 3D printer and an aluminum machining shop in your local area. But no warranty that route, or guarantees on quality. Lol

Upvote 0
A $349 wheel from PSP Studio in New Jersey
s-l200.jpg

Upvote 0
I make 3D printed wheels. That looks... Questionable for rigidity. Those are definitely 10 for $10 momentary push buttons. They will fail. Those are EC11 rotary encoders. With aluminum knobs, their indentations feel super soft and hard to differentiate single clicks when racing. I'm assuming Arduino Pro Micro board with a matrix bread board. We're talking $80 in components here. Also those 3D printed layers are super time saving. The lines should be barely visible if using 0.2mm layers, especially with black PLA or ABS. And it's not using aluminum spacers or thread inserts, so there's plastic x metal contact. Don't use these for 10+ Nm of torque.

You can make a 3D printed wheel that will hold up to up to 30 Nm of torque, but it requires thought out structural components (front and back plate are aluminum, with aluminum spacers between them so the 3D printed parts aren't used for structural integrity.

Those take a while to solder and build so I commend them for spending the time... But even Polsimer would be a better option IMO.

Upvote 0
"Suede" appears to be glued, not stitched, and only on outer grip surfaces:
131080740_4125259940824176_1379210767755458438_n.jpg

I'm assuming Arduino Pro Micro board with a matrix bread board.
Magnetic shifters with 4 MM aluminum paddles and Bodnar BBI-32 USB board are advertised.
I have read a couple of positive reviews; no notion of their veracity.
Based on other images, screws go thru to nuts on the back, reducing need for inserts.
A braided, not coiled, USB cable is concerning. It's also listed on eBay..

even Polsimer would be a better option IMO
I would personally prefer F74N grips and layout over this,
but have already opted for Fanatec's McLaren GT3 V2 because clutch paddles
and had not seen the PSP Studio wheel referenced here.
Here is an image of its internals:
132366114_10157360409037163_2260439516102631019_o.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I bought a 3Drap wheel adapter with shifters and used it heavily the last month.

Today the microswitch in the left shifter paddle died on me.
It was during practice, during a race I would have been "very disappointed" :mad:

Accidently I had a spare lying around ( canibalised it from another unfinished project) so I was up and running within the hour.

Failures happen, still miffed.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back