Corvette C8.R Spied at Road America

NEW vette.jpg

Big Changes For Corvette!!!

I was sitting here this morning reading RD over my morning coffee when I came across the photo that serves as this articles opening graphic. David DeGreef (@DucMan888) had posted it in a thread titled C8.R Spied at Road America. When I first saw the picture, my old eyes banged hard against my tri-focals. Over the past couple years there has been a lot of speculation about the next generation 'Vette, whether or not the new car would be mid-engined ... and if Chevrolet would release a car that is both road-going AND a racer, similar to the current Ford GT. The answers to these questions appear to have been answered. The new car will be mid-engined using a V8 and twin-turbocharged according to various media outlets including Road&Track (HERE). QUOTE: "New Chevrolet Corvette C8.R photos supplied to RoadandTrack.com reveal the brand’s next-generation road car and GT Le Mans racer as an interesting approach to mid-engine design."

A couple of other media outlets have articles and renderings speculating about this car.

Motor1.com (read article HERE) offered the following illustration:

Motor magazine.jpg

While Car & Driver put this car on it's cover:

Car and Driver Corvette.jpg

Apart from the scalloped coves on the sides which began in 1956 and went away in 1963, I really don't see any strong visual references to past Corvettes, but your mileage may vary. Also, I don't see anything written in stone from Chevy, so I would expect some changes ... and possibly, some curveballs.

A mid-engined layout will definitely improve a cars handling, as Porsche admitted when it changed the engine position in it's GTLM racer this past year in order to become competitive in it's class. Corvette has always been about big rumbling V8's mounted in the front driving the rear wheels. Perhaps the Bow-tie guys figured that they had pushed that layout just about as far as they could.

The same could be said about the turbos. While there have been turbo Vettes before, they were always tuner specials, like the Callaway Twin Turbo Corvette (1987 to 1991 ... as I recall) among others. GM itself never put a turbocharger in a Vette.

Some media folks are talking about a possible change to a V-6 engine. Ford did so with its GT and stunned a lot of V8 fans. There hasn't been a six cylinder in a 'Vette since 1953 and I'm not sure how hard-core Vette buyers are gonna handle that.

I am really surprised that the aero treatment of this Vette's body shape is not as ... aggressive, I guess is the right word, as the work done on the Ford GT. I'm certain that GM wind tunneled the crap out of the car, but not very much of the work is readily seen. Methinks there is more to be seen under the surface!

I'm guessing that the laws of physics (as well as environmental and fuel mileage concerns) are demanding changes. You can only push CAFE regulations just so far.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

What do you think of the changes coming to the Corvette? There's a lot here to consider, mid-engined, twin-turbos ... and a possible V-6 engine. Let us know what you think about it in the comments section below!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 231027

as a racer I think it look great almost Ferrari like tho but without that wing I can't say I like the looks of it :confused: but then again maybe the engine sound will make up for it probably not to hard knowing corvette.

I wonder if GM will be able to revolutionize the Corvette without killing its sales like FCA did with the Viper and its "upscale" from previous models. They shouldn't push the price too far from what most people are willing to pay for a Corvette.

They kinda removed everything that made it a Corvette.
Should release a new brand instead. Anyway this is going to rise the value of previous cars quite a lot. Lucky owners if you ask me

Camouflaged liveries really sometimes distort vision way too much, but I still think the front end isn't miles away from Corvette DP that raced in top IMSA category a few years back. Which is an absolutely amazing afaic!

I wonder if GM will be able to revolutionize the Corvette without killing its sales like FCA did with the Viper and its "upscale" from previous models. They shouldn't push the price too far from what most people are willing to pay for a Corvette.

When considering the consumer version, this is an important point. Many in the automotive press, including Jay Leno, call the Corvette one of the greatest automotive bargains of all time. And it's true, just compare the performance stats AND price of the Corvette against any of its competitors.

After Corvette survived its "Elvis" years of being fat, balding and dead on a toilet, over the past 20 years the consumer Corvette really turned into a world class sports car. It's performance stats compared with or even exceeded sports cars costing several thousands of dollars more.

Hopefully, this trend can continue.

Personally, I love it - the styling, the layout, the modernized power plant.

More altruistically, I'm nervous for the hardcore Vette guys, because his is not a Vette. I have not seen any pricing data, but it seems to me this has gotta push that number higher (and Vettes have already gotten kinda pricey as of late).

I think a big part of the Corvette mystique is the accessibility - outrageous performance on a blue collar budget. My fear as a non-Vette guy on behalf of the Vette guys is that whole concept would be out the window for good with this new generation.

as a racer I think it look great almost Ferrari like tho but without that wing I can't say I like the looks of it :confused: but then again maybe the engine sound will make up for it probably not to hard knowing corvette.

I agree with you, but remember we are seeing the Vette in photos with nothing to compare it to. I can't wait to see it side-by-side with other cars to get better sense of size and shape.

This red car is just beautiful. If the Corvette C8 really looks like this and has a normal Vette price, this should be a no-brainer for everyone looking for a nice car in that price bracket. Absolutely fantastic. This comes close to F-Type beauty.

As a north american i've never really cared for the vette, tho ill admit it's gotten better in the past 5yrs.

As for the above picks it looks very similar to the ferrari 488, nsx, mcleran 650s and the renualt rs.01

I prefer things that are original and stand out in a crowd.

Hmm,Corvette MR Edition :D
Jokes apart,i like it,altough i think they have should name it something diferent,a Corvette was always a RWD drive machine,and a good one :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back