Corvette C8.R @ Road America

Yes, that horrible, raspy engine noise is for real - the result of the C8.R's 'flat-plane' crankshaft. This is another re-visit of a GT3 setup posted previously. The C8.R's modder, CSR2, has done the right thing and slowed the car down (the earlier ver was untruthfully fast); now it's more in line with the other 2021 GT3s (altho it still cheats a bit WRT tire compounds and gear ratios). Both old and new vers are mercifully free of leading-throttle oversteer exiting slow corners and neither ver gets sloppy when pushed hard. My only complaint: too few skins. Ten-lap race setup.

Why I test at Elkhart Lake. 1. It doesn't have any stupidly slow hairpins or chicanes, which interfere with repeatability...at least the way I drive. Spa would be ideal for testing if it weren't for that ugly, contorted chicane at the end of the lap. 2. The Carousel. Unlike the Nordschleife's Karusel (tight and lumpy), RA's Carousel is the closest thing you'll find to a high-speed, steady-state skid pad (or 'pan' as they call it in Blighty). It will give you an indication of absolute grip, with numbers you can compare, car-to-car and setup-to-setup (anything under 100 mph = pokey; anything over = speedy). 3. The Kink. The scariest turn in North America. Little cars will barely notice it, but big cars will make or break a decent lap-time depending on whether your setup will allow you to take it flat out. Or not.

Attachments

• Elkhart_02-16-2021.ini
    1.7 KB · Views: 95

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 366 15.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.6%
  • < 4 years