Cortina vs Mini Challenge @ Warwick Farm - 29th June 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren Dawes

Premium
The FWD vs RWD battle resumes again at RaceDepartment.
Another GTL event, this time lets make it a challenge match. Which was superior in the classic cars? The quick and lively Lotus Cortina, or the nimble handling Mini Cooper S?
A little while ago, Andy planned a race at Warwick Farm, a classic Aussie raceway that has since been closed. It is new to GTL but is a very scenic and well made track. Many of you got a chance to try it before the event was changed, and requested we schedule an event there.
So here it is. The track is tight and suits the smaller cars so we will run TC-65's, but let's make a challenge match out of it.

The two most popular cars racing at Warwick Farm back then were Lotus Cortina's and Mini's.

racingcortina4400cd0.jpg

Cortina vs Mini Challenge

Event details
Game: GT Legends
Date: Sunday 29th of June 2008
Server: RaceDepartment.com
Car: Lotus Cortina, Austin Cooper S
Skins: Default only
Circuit: Warwick Farm (Here)
Password: Here

Event schedule (GMT time)
Practice: 19:30, 30 mins
Qualifying: 20:00, 30 mins
Race: 20:30, 28 lap race

Server settings
Allowed driving aids: Auto clutch/auto gears
Weather: Dry
Failures: Normal
Pitstops: No compulsory pitstops
In-game start time: 1100

Which team do you want to drive for, RWD Cortina or FWD Mini. Please sign up for your favourite team below.
***Please note: We want an equal number of each car if possible, so try to keep the numbers similar.

Signups

Cortina

1 Simon Bacon
2 Dave Gardner
3 Traumatic
4 Gaynall Hudgins
5 Leeroy998

Mini

1 Warren Dawes
2 Andy Marsden
3 Hans Sneep
4 David Cuthill
5 Broxman
6 Boss X

Reserves

My lack of knowledge of the track really showed, I qualified reasonably well in 6th or 7th but then made far too many mistakes. It took be a few laps to find a good rythm but finally managed to maintain a good consistent pace (high 1.46s to low 1.47s) but soon started making errors again when my tyres started to get worn.
7th in the end after a solitary race. The Minis are good fun as always though, and this track too.

RACE
...Stayed there up until lap 23 when I passed someone after they fell off the track only to have the same driver ram past me at turn on the next lap. Not too happy, yes I was quite defensive on my line but when we touched this someone didnt back off and even said 'Thanks!' afterwards we is rude.
Anyway after this incident I couldn't find anymore pace and stayed 10th until the finish.

Thanx Warren for the replay.:thumb:

After I went of track, I fell in behind you and got a run going into the front straight. As I was coming up inside, you weaved down at me, then back up and I moved further towards the inside then you cut down on me and we made contact. To me, that's not "quite defensive", that's blocking. I locked up trying not to hit you and slid into you. It was not on purpose. I don't ram anyone. This is racing. Things happen and no one is just going to "back off" because you don't want to get passed.

If I said "Thanks", I am sorry for that. I have my shortcuts mapped to a joystick and hit the wrong button. You chatted something about the contact and I missed the sacasm in it and was trying to say "no problem".

Blasting off in chat and in the forum is not the way RD works. Check the RD Rules and Regs.

Other than that, was OK race. Where's the next race?:)

EDIT: Thanks for the PM Andy. Everything's cool! Contact will happen sometime. Looking forward to the next race!:)

• Andy Marsden

Hi Gaynall,

Yeah apologies for that mate as I said in PM, wont happen again.
Was my fault as I got a tad aggressive, still learning as I said and I don't always realise how close people are behind me as I use in-car mirrors.
I edited my post, could you please possibly do the same so we can put this incident behind us and look forward to future races on equal terms :)

Andy

• Andy Marsden

Hey guys, just compiled a results list using Autosim Analyzer. Open the index file in the attached .zip and refresh (and accept ActiveX) if appropriate.
Looks like there was a lag spike mid race!

NOTE: If anyone knows how to add this as a complete file like the guys on NoGrip do let me know so everyone doesn't have to download a .zip everytime :thumb:

Attachments

• RD Warwick Farm 290608.rar
    270.9 KB · Views: 178
My misfortune.

Good not get under 1.50 and started on 12 spot, as always I am a little nervous at the start,when driving away I thought my pitlimmeter was on so I hit the button and yes the limmeter was one now, so hit it again and was past by the rest.My speed was not good and make some mistakes hear and there so I get lapt halve way the race.
About lap 22-23 I slipt of and went over the fence and good not go back on track so end of the race.

I learn every race a little bit more but its not enough to keep up with the rest of
the guys
My question to Warren, if you have the time will you look at the replay of the race and give me some hints to improve my times? I will appreciate that very much.

Thanks Hans
GTGCS_GTL_008 copy.jpg

GTGCS_GTL_010 copy.jpg

GTGCS_GTL_011 copy.jpg

as always I am a little nervous at the start,when driving away I thought my pitlimmeter was on so I hit the button and yes the limmeter was one now, so hit it again and was past by the rest.

LOOL, I have had some classic "start" moments myself, but not managed that one yet. :D:p

My question to Warren, if you have the time will you look at the replay of the race and give me some hints to improve my times? I will appreciate that very much.

I'll have a look Hans but I am far from an expert at this stuff. I do feel pretty good in the Mini though and seem pretty competitive. I have a pretty radical setup too (which I found on another forum) which seems to work well for the Mini. You have to drive the Mini very differently to the other cars, very aggressively and keep speed up all the time (especially the bends) because once you lose speed it takes forever to get it back again. You can go into bends very aggressively though, much faster than you think, but always try to keep some throttle on all through the turns, and floor it as early as possible as soon as you have turned into a bend.

I'll PM you some more comments later.

EDIT: I have posted my setup for you here:
http://forum.racedepartment.com/gtl-setups/5120-mini-cooer-s-warwick-farm.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 407 16.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 278 11.2%
  • < 3 years