F1 2011 Corrupt savegame

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi,

Been playing this game for 2 days now and this bug where after the "press start to begin.." loading the game will crash. The workaround is to delete the savegame so that I can play again.

The problem is that if I delete my savegame I'm going to start all over again in my career which is a game breaker.

Is there another way to fix this bug and revive my old game progress?

Thanks!

If you have applied this fix be sure to check that the game actually saves your progress after that. I did this fix today and then played some MP games and did a little TT and a short GP. When I started the game later that evening I realized that it had not saved anything from today after applying the fix.

Did a manual save (My F1 - save) and after that it seems that the autosave has kicked in again...

The save game file issue is definitely bugged to hell. All the various solutions seem to only work short term before it eventually crashes again. However.... I managed to play for 4 hours, loading game, quitting game randomly throughout without a single crash. What I've done is delete save as you all know about to get back into the game, reset up all my altered settings to how I want it, then after it auto saves go to MyF1 and manual save. I did a manual save after every race even if it appeared to auto save ok. I've done 7 career races without crash or failure to re-load. I quit out of the game after every completed race after the auto save and after doing the final manual save. I've had no further problems and I think the manual save overrides the auto save even if corrupted. Think this may have solved it. Still needs sorting out properly Codemasters.

Same rig, same account, same privilages and I never once had a corrupt 2010 savegame in over 500hrs play, yet already had one with 2011.

If you have applied this fix be sure to check that the game actually saves your progress after that. I did this fix today and then played some MP games and did a little TT and a short GP. When I started the game later that evening I realized that it had not saved anything from today after applying the fix.

Did a manual save (My F1 - save) and after that it seems that the autosave has kicked in again...

After the failure with 2011, and I DIDNT copy and rename the corrupted file, I simply removed it and it appears although I lost all my Settings and Stats and car setups (although GFWL / Leaderboards still show my times) it seems to be auto saving ok things unlike Jans experience where he did copy and rename the other file.

As Administrator, I still haven't had a single corrupt savegame (a full week with the game now).

I have always been running my accounts as admin, both local and in my domain (running a 2003 Server as local domain/login/file server) so that is not the problem.

The save game file issue is definitely bugged to hell. All the various solutions seem to only work short term before it eventually crashes again. However.... I managed to play for 4 hours, loading game, quitting game randomly throughout without a single crash. What I've done is delete save as you all know about to get back into the game, reset up all my altered settings to how I want it, then after it auto saves go to MyF1 and manual save. I did a manual save after every race even if it appeared to auto save ok. I've done 7 career races without crash or failure to re-load. I quit out of the game after every completed race after the auto save and after doing the final manual save. I've had no further problems and I think the manual save overrides the auto save even if corrupted. Think this may have solved it. Still needs sorting out properly Codemasters.

Think I'll start doing a manual save before exiting to see if that that helps from getting any more of this bugs...

My savegame became corrupted and I deleted the folder. No loss I thought since I hadn't actually started career but I then realised that my online racing stats had been wiped too. I assumed these were saved on a GFWL cloud or something.

My savegame became corrupted and I deleted the folder. No loss I thought since I hadn't actually started career but I then realised that my online racing stats had been wiped too. I assumed these were saved on a GFWL cloud or something.

The leaderboard times are still in GFWL, but setups, ghost cars, your Rank and various other attributes are lost forever :(

Hi,
i have the same problem (like many other players). did not have this error in F1 2010 on the same pc. so i deleted my savegame-folder, started a new career and deactivated the autosave-mode. since i am saving manually, it works.

Sorry if this has been posted earlier, but heres a copy and paste from another post i made...

If you get a corrupt save simply go into the save game directory

documents/mygames/formulaone2011/savegame/autosave

and delete the file GTEHXOSJZ_0...Then make a copy of the file GTEHXOSJZ_1 and rename it GTEHXOSJZ_0 then place it back in the autosave folder...

Restart the game and the only thing youve lost after corruption is your wheel custom changes...Your career and everything else is fine...

Going back to the OP's initial post, and crashing on loading, just after you have clicked the START button, and the screen says 'Checking Storage Devices' ......

I have had this twice so far, the first time I fixed it myself (pot luck :tongue: ), and the second time using the 'official' fix from Codemasters. I have not lost any data in these 2 events, just wheel settings (linearity etc.), and button mapping, FFB settings were unaffected.

Problem: Whenever I try to start F1 2011 the game just crashes on the "Checking Device Storage Screen" before I get to the main menu.

Solution: If you have a steering wheel connected (or any other controller than the keyboard) try the following steps - Thanks to Krischaaan and Mr Omega Alpha

Disconnect the Wheel
Start the game. No crash should occur and the controller will be automatically set to "keyboard" (because of the missing wheel)
Save the game manually (It seems that the corrupted autosave file is overwritten by a new one without corruption)
Exit the game
Connect the wheel
Started the game once again - This time it shouldn't crash when loading
Set up the controller as required
Save the game

Source: F1 2011 Ultimate Troubleshooting Thread

Going back to the OP's initial post, and crashing on loading, just after you have clicked the START button, and the screen says 'Checking Storage Devices' ......

I have had this twice so far, the first time I fixed it myself (pot luck :tongue: ), and the second time using the 'official' fix from Codemasters. I have not lost any data in these 2 events, just wheel settings (linearity etc.), and button mapping, FFB settings were unaffected.

Problem: Whenever I try to start F1 2011 the game just crashes on the "Checking Device Storage Screen" before I get to the main menu.

Solution: If you have a steering wheel connected (or any other controller than the keyboard) try the following steps - Thanks to Krischaaan and Mr Omega Alpha

Disconnect the Wheel
Start the game. No crash should occur and the controller will be automatically set to "keyboard" (because of the missing wheel)
Save the game manually (It seems that the corrupted autosave file is overwritten by a new one without corruption)
Exit the game
Connect the wheel
Started the game once again - This time it shouldn't crash when loading
Set up the controller as required
Save the game

Source: F1 2011 Ultimate Troubleshooting Thread

Conveniently, I just suffered another crash when checking storage devices.... so I followed this guide - except I didnt bother disconnecting my wheel.

I made sure it was definitely corrupted using the wheel to start the game a couple more times - executable error and game crashed again. So, I restarted the game, pushed 'return' on the keyboard, and it loaded fine! Went in and selected the default G27 controller, changed my 2 buttons on the wheel in custom, saved profile, exited game, restarted game, pushed wheel to start and it loaded fine, with all my data, and stats still intact.

Cheers for the heads up Gnu - guess the wheel removal is not important. Excellent.

So really the workaround for a corrupted data crash is now a few steps less -

Corrupted save game WORKAROUND

1. Start the game using the keyboard
2. Reconfigure your wheel ingame
3. Save the game manually (It seems that the corrupted autosave file is overwritten by a new one without corruption)
4. Exit the game
5. Start the game once again using your wheel button
6. Start racing.

Well, I take back some of what I said .....

I did a long gruelling very wet Shanghai Grand Prix earlier today, I have just started my game and it crashed again at startup. I did the fix above, but this time I HAVE lost data. I was just about to do my next race, and now I find I am back in PRACTICE at the Shanghai Grand Prix .... dammit!

Now I am annoyed to say the least!

Right, now I am off to look and see if I can find that thread about, deleting an autosave and renaming another one ...... Grrrr !!

EDIT: No fix this time .... I just zipped through everything, set a 3 lap GP and put traction control & ABS on, bombed off at a frantic pace and let them pass me at the finish line to give me the same result as my original full GP.

I've also set Acronis to backup the save folder every 2 hours ......

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back