Cooling Mods

After reviewing the responses here, I went 'digging' a bit further.
All the points were valid....so why not?
What I found, was that the MSI X470 Gaming Plus motherboard...at the Auto setting...with even the latest BIOS was ramping the core voltage up as high as 1.425 in some cases.
That's never a good thing for Ryzen CPUs over a long term period.
I had to manually set voltages to 1.382 volts as a hard limit.
That one setting has further dropped temps a few degrees.
Just a heads-up...."check those voltages."
Just because they're set to auto doesn't mean they're regulated within specification.

So I FINALLY decided to delid my 8700K...was nervous the whole time, but I spent the day working slowly and logging temps in Excel to avoid confirmation bias...man, liquid metal is a pain, especially trying to spread it on the IHS...but it was definitely worth it.

Living in the tropics with no A/C, at stock it would hit high 80’s/low 90’s in Prime95 non AVX @ 4.8Ghz...Forget about 5Ghz, even at 1.31v...99 C instantly. Now after delid I’m getting sustained low to mid 70’s @ 5 GHz with 1.335v...at first I thought Prime95 wasn’t working because my fans were relaxing most of the time LOL.

Running P95 for 12 hours now to confirm stability. I didn’t think I’d see 15- 20 degrees improvement with my hot humid climate but it’s really working out nicely so far. :thumbsup:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back