Converting cars from GTR2 & Assetto Corsa

Hi guys,

I'm looking at starting to get into some modding and there are championships I desperately want to race that aren't available in AMS. I only race privately on a server with my brother, but of course should I release anything I would never do so without the express permission on the original creator(s). I'm well aware of the scandal caused by Sim Dream Developments.

I have a tutorial that shows how to get a model from GTR2 into rFactor (and then very easily into AMS) via 3DSimed which I'm slowly trying to learn, but I can't find anything helping me with physics. I can't find anything at all on converting models from Assetto Corsa ready for use in AMS - but there must be a way for this to be done. I can't find anything, is anyone aware of any guides I can use or would be willing to walk me through the process? Eventually I may build towards making series from scratch, but I want to cut my teeth on conversions before I do so to see if this is something I'm actually capable of.

Any help is appreciated!

I'm looking at starting to get into some modding and there are championships I desperately want to race that aren't available in AMS. I only race privately on a server with my brother, but of course should I release anything I would never do so without the express permission on the original creator(s).
Fantastic, that's the right attitude :thumbsup:

I have a tutorial that shows how to get a model from GTR2 into rFactor (and then very easily into AMS) via 3DSimed which I'm slowly trying to learn, but I can't find anything helping me with physics. I can't find anything at all on converting models from Assetto Corsa ready for use in AMS - but there must be a way for this to be done. I can't find anything, is anyone aware of any guides I can use or would be willing to walk me through the process? Eventually I may build towards making series from scratch, but I want to cut my teeth on conversions before I do so to see if this is something I'm actually capable of.

Any help is appreciated!
I would suggest reading up on rFactor physics modding – there is almost certainly reading material out there from years ago about the file formats and tricks used. Somewhere in the depths of the interwebs. At worst, you can look up threads with advice from NoGripRacing (a now-dead forum with massive info about rFactor and GTR2) on the Internet Archive. AMS adds great additional physics features like turbo modelling but it basically, at its core, is rFactor.

Small note – despite the fact they are based on the same core game engine (ISImotor), physics for SimBin titles (GTR2, RACE 07) and rFactor and its derivatives (Game Stock Car, Automobilista) are not at all identical. See this thread here I started a while ago for more information.

I might also suggest looking up the AMS Unofficial and Classic Motorsport Hub Discords, where some experienced AMS modders hang out and might answer your questions. These people, as well as modders here like Richard Wilks, know a lot about the ins and outs of AMS physics. If you have existing physics modding experience for other games, you could also message Niels Heusinkveld, the AMS physics guru himself, about any questions you have (Niels_at_home here on RaceDepartment) – he's answered them before.

Last edited:
I would suggest reading up on rFactor physics modding – there is almost certainly reading material out there from years ago about the file formats and tricks used. Somewhere in the depths of the interwebs. At worst, you can look up threads with advice from NoGripRacing (a now-dead forum with massive info about rFactor and GTR2) on the Internet Archive. AMS adds great additional physics features like turbo modelling but it basically, at its core, is rFactor.
Alrighty, I just found some of the "belly of the Internet" documents I was mentioning about rFactor file formats and parameter settings :roflmao: so I thought I'd share here, in case it's useful to someone.

Vehicle creation and file structure

Track creation tips

Physics parameter setting explanations

Cameras

I'd advise saving these as PDFs, because pages like these will eventually, inevitably disappear from the Internet :(

Alrighty, I just found some of the "belly of the Internet" documents I was mentioning about rFactor file formats and parameter settings :roflmao: so I thought I'd share here, in case it's useful to someone.

Vehicle creation and file structure

Track creation tips

Physics parameter setting explanations

Cameras

I'd advise saving these as PDFs, because pages like these will eventually, inevitably disappear from the Internet :(
This is all incredibly useful, thank you so much for your help!

I did include this as legacy documentation in my rF2 Modding Handbook (WIP). You can access the legacy documentation here and its source can be found here. I also tried to update/correct wherever needed, but cannot guarantee it's 100% correct (if you find anything, let me know on github if you like).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back