Controller profiles driving me crazy

Seriously, how hard can it be... I've unplugged a controller that i'm not using atm and now i can't get rid of it from the controller profile. I just keep getting the message that a controller is missing.

Surely i could just configure a new profile, but that's a bit lame cause the profile is otherwise just fine.

I'm sure there's an easy way to do this, but i'm lost here. Any help would be great. Thanks!

I have been getting the message device is missing and have ignored it. Not sure what the deal is but it seems to work fine regardless.

If it's a whole profile that you are not longer using, you can delete the controller file from My Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet. If the profile you are using contains bindings for a controller that is no longer plugged in, you will need to find those bindings and remove them.

Yes i’ve noticed. Now i don't know exactly how setting up a racing car in real life works, but wouldn't it make sense to have included the steering lock setting in the saved setup?
Depends.
I'm by no means an expert on real-life racing (or anything else for that matter), but as far as I know, if you look at production-car racing (i.e. GT1-GT4) you're not allowed to change the steering lock in the first place. You certainly can't in Cup cars, since the whole purpose of them is to be equal for all drivers.

In specialized series such as DTM, WTCC and single-seaters, you probably can.
Whether or not they do so outside extreme tracks such as Monaco or Macau, I have no idea.
I wouldn't think so, but that's pure guesswork.

In sim-racing I think it's more a question of having to take into account that not all wheels have the same degree of rotation available in the first place, so you may need some leeway.
Once I've found a setting I'm happy with, I rarely change it between tracks anyway.

Depends.
I'm by no means an expert on real-life racing (or anything else for that matter), but as far as I know, if you look at production-car racing (i.e. GT1-GT4) you're not allowed to change the steering lock in the first place. You certainly can't in Cup cars, since the whole purpose of them is to be equal for all drivers.

In specialized series such as DTM, WTCC and single-seaters, you probably can.
Whether or not they do so outside extreme tracks such as Monaco or Macau, I have no idea.
I wouldn't think so, but that's pure guesswork.

In sim-racing I think it's more a question of having to take into account that not all wheels have the same degree of rotation available in the first place, so you may need some leeway.
Once I've found a setting I'm happy with, I rarely change it between tracks anyway.

Thanks, learned something new there :thumbsup:

I haven't touched the steering lock until recently after reading a bit about it. Imo the steering felt a bit less jerky and more to my taste on the Merc 190E with steering lock at 27 as opposed to the default 30 (while keeping the wheel rotation at 900). Tested just a few laps at Road America, so It might as well be placebo :)

OK first, it's a necro and I apologise, but it was also the first RaceDepartment post that came up when I searched this issue; so I'm piggy-backing on this one for when someone else googles the problem.

I've posted a possible fix on the RR3 forums for the 'Device Missing' problem, hope this helps.

"Ok I think I've found the fix, specifically for the CSL Pedals issue, but the principle should carry over.

Go to \My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet, (make a backup of your control set) then open the original control set with Notepad++ or something; in my case my control set was 'ffs'.

You must make sure that the pedals you WILL be using are configured; in my case they are HE Sprints.

Run a search for 'DeviceName[' (no quotes) until you find the entry for the "Fanatec pedals", it will look similar to the following:

DeviceName[01]="FANATEC CSL Elite Pedals LC"
DeviceId[01]="(1644433079, -1, -1, 0)"
Axis [01, 00] Dead Zone="0.0"
Axis [01, 00] Sensitivity="0.5"
Axis [01, 00] Center="0.5"
Axis [01, 00] Range="1.0"

Now run the same search until you find your pedals, eg;

DeviceName[02]="HE Sprints"
DeviceId[02]="(268513463, -1, -1, 0)"
Axis [02, 00] Dead Zone="0.0"
Axis [02, 00] Sensitivity="0.5"
Axis [02, 00] Center="0.5"
Axis [02, 00] Range="1.0"

In the following,
DeviceName[01]="FANATEC CSL Elite Pedals LC" replace
"FANATEC CSL Elite Pedals LC" with "anything you want" - do NOT change DeviceName[01]=, leave that part alone.

Now do the same with DeviceId, so
DeviceId[01]="(1644433079, -1, -1, 0)" (the Fanatec pedal setting), becomes

DeviceId[01]="(268513463, -1, -1, 0)" (the HE Sprint setting).

My before and after is:

Before:
DeviceName[01]="FANATEC CSL Elite Pedals LC"
DeviceId[01]="(1644433079, -1, -1, 0)"

After:
DeviceName[01]="HE Sprints"

DeviceId[01]="(268513463, -1, -1, 0)"

Save the file then load the game; you'll likely have to setup gas/brake/clutch but that's it, you should be good to go."

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back