Controller assists survey

Discussion in 'TT Isle of Man - The Game' started by pk500, Apr 2, 2018.

1. pk500

pk500

Ratings:
    +20
    What assists are everyone using on console? I'm using low for everything but anti-wheelie. Combined brakes and racing line on, manual gears.

This setup feels good, but I'm still equivocating.

Medium traction control seems to overcome the wonky rear wheel traction physics in this game. But it also causes the bike to lose feel and also gives me a sense that I'm using a bit of a cheat code. At times I'm patient enough to wrap my head around the odd rear wheel physics and ride with low traction control. Other times I just want to stay on the bike and not worry about losing the rear end for inexplicable reasons.

What's a fella to do? What assists are you running on Xbox or PS4 with a controller?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Storris

Storris

Ratings:
    +3
    Assists? "Git gud".

I'm on PC with a PS4 controller. Having tested all of the assists, I can say for certain that you're much better off in sim mode. Assists make you slower and more likely to crash. TC causes more problems with the rear wheel than it fixes, especially when shifting down gears, while all wheelies can be prevented by moving your weight forward and/or accelerating less agressively (see bottom paragraph))

The rear end losing grip for no apparent reason is often the TC readjusting the bike to conditions after being in the air on a bump/jump. Not having any tactile feedback about grip levels is also a problem, although separate from the assists.

What does make a positive difference is the control sensitivity levels. Brake & Acceleration set to 0%, while steering set somewhere comfortable for you, mine is at 50%. Deadzones also at 0%. I'm currently at 18:02 for lap of the TT course.

• Like Like x 2
  3. s00zster

s00zster

Ratings:
    +11
    PC version, PS3 controller. No assists except for combined braking, helmet cam, dynamic view set to "off". Controller settings all set to 0% except steering sensitivity to 5%.

I found with dynamic view on in any way, I felt almost pulled into the corners, which would sometimes result in the back kicking out as it was affecting my turning angle and braking. Been making much fewer mistakes since turning it off, I'd recommend people to give it a try.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stig Bidstrup

Stig Bidstrup
    Jarek says " 900 degrees of rotation " Premium

Ratings:
    +1,056
    Pc version I use 2 assists ABS brakes and combined braking, the rest is off.

5. Peter Hooper

Peter Hooper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +8,877
    Unfortunately for us console users there are no adjustments that we can make to the controller so we are stuck with it as is. That's something that I am sure would make a big difference for a pad newbie like me as I find it way too sensitive and I think is the main reason that I tend to overdo things when turning. I am slowly adjusting to it but like I say I am new to using a pad (only play racing games with a wheel) so it's a tough adjustment.

6. Peter Hooper

Peter Hooper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +8,877
    Like the op I am on low assists for all except anti-wheelie which when switched to low I really struggled with. Another week and I'll drop that too.

Combined brakes, auto gears and racing line on at the moment. Next to be dropped will be manual gears but with my limited pad skills I know that is going to be a big step up.

7. Andy_J

Andy_J
    PC Veteran Gamer and Biker. Premium

Ratings:
    +3,485
    Low wheelie and auto gears does not work well. The game changes down too much making you have more wheelies. Better on manual and keep higher gears hooked. :thumbsup:
    I now only use:
    cockpit view only
    No guides, no race lines
    No corner markers etc
    low ABS
    medium Traction Control
    anti wheelie off (just love the way the bikes come up over small bumps,rises in the road.)
    anti stoppie off
    Manual gears (auto gears is just not working right in this game if you have anti wheelie off or low)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  8. DucFreak

DucFreak

Ratings:
    +225
    FWIW, I only like to ride the Supersports (love each for different reasons), currently with the following assistances:
    • ABS ---------------------- 'Low'
    • Traction-Control ---- 'Off'.
    • Anti-wheelie ---------- 'Medium' (if on a CBR600RR I tend to set it at 'Low')
    • Anti-stoppie ---------- 'Low'
    • Race line --------------- 'Off'
    • Brake method ------- 'Split' (hardly use the rear though, which serves also as clutch)
    • Transmission -------- 'Manual'

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ChickenBoy18

ChickenBoy18

Ratings:
    +49
    These are the assists I’m currently using:
    • ABS ---------------------- 'Off'
    • Traction-Control ---- 'Off'.
    • Anti-wheelie ---------- 'Low'
    • Anti-stoppie ---------- 'Low'
    • Race line --------------- 'Off'
    • Brake method ------- 'Combined'
    • Transmission -------- 'Manual'

10. Andy_J

Andy_J

Ratings:
    +3,485
    What view are you guys using?

11. pk500

pk500

Ratings:
    +20
    Helmet (first-person)

The only way to fly. I'll sacrifice time for immersion eight days per week.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. DucFreak

DucFreak

Ratings:
    +225
    Ditto. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Damage Inc

Damage Inc

Ratings:
    +303
    Yup I'm "onboard" view now (I don't think it should be called helmet as it's a camera on the tank!), done 2 one lap TT races v medium Ai and exhilerating just does not do it justice!! Slowly building up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
  14. ChickenBoy18

ChickenBoy18

Ratings:
    +49
    Have previously been using close chase (as I mentioned elsewhere on the forum) but have switched to helmet in the last week or so.

Now, I’m sure plenty of people will disagree, but I honestly think helmet is easier than chase view. I feel a lot more confident on the throttle as I don’t see the rear getting loose, and I run a lot closer to the apexes of corners as it’s easier to judge the distances to objects and spot your peel in point. Am I on my own on this, or does anybody else agree?

Perhaps chase is easier to learn the course, but once you know whether you’re going left or right and roughly what gear you need to be in for each corner, I’d say helmet makes things easier to hone your speed, particularly through sections like Glen Helen and the Mountain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Andy_J

Andy_J

Ratings:
    +3,485
    Nice one. Helmet view is so much better. I have tried going to 3rd person but it feels so wrong and so slow and too easy. :thumbsup:

16. Damage Inc

Damage Inc

Ratings:
    +303
    I'm opposite, onboard cam so much harder. Also 3rd person allows you to see the bike and how it's reacting to road surface etc. But onboard is so much more immersive (obvioulsy!) Now I want to see a proper helmet cam like MS games do. Skimming the walls like at Macau will be awesome!

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. ChickenBoy18

ChickenBoy18

Ratings:
    +49
    When I see the bike reacting in third person I seem to overcorrect and lose more speed as a result. Whereas in helmet I just power through.

18. Damage Inc

Damage Inc

Ratings:
    +303
    Once again weird I tend to overcorrect onboard, horses for courses isn't it?!! On a typical Ride 2 track I'm anywhere from 3-5 seconds a lap slower. So far 1 minute or so slower in TTIOM. But it's the best view no doubt.

19. svenvangent

svenvangent

Ratings:
    +6
    • ABS ---------------------- Off
    • Traction-Control ---- Off'
    • Anti-wheelie ---------- Off
    • Anti-stoppie ---------- Off
    • Race line --------------- Off'
    • Brake method ------- Combined
    • Transmission -------- Manual
    • View ----------------- onboard cam best way to drive the bike .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.