Content Manager won't open: says "acs.exe is missing"

Billy Pilgrim

1000RPM
Premium
Mar 25, 2014
I can't start Content Manager up. I click on my usual CM icon to start it up and get a dialogue box that says (where it gives the path to my AC (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa) ) that "acs.exe is missing". And it gives me the opportunity to "Change" the root folder, but the root folder is already the right one.

Nothing's changed since I last used AC or CM.

And I tried to play AC from the Kunos launcher: I can open up the Kunos AC launcher but cannot actually start a race. It just puts me back to the AC launcher.

Oh dear!

Can anyone advise what I should do?

Billy Pilgrim

1000RPM
Premium
Mar 25, 2014
Maybe do a "verify integrity" of the files with Steam?
Thanks. I’ll try that.
Will that have an impact on my very-modified AC that may take time to fix? Will it affect modded sound files (or modded tyres, say) within car/track folders? CSP?

Billy Pilgrim

1000RPM
Premium
Mar 25, 2014
all kunos content/files will be reset to its original state
Thanks for the info
So the best way to do this would be to copy all my tracks and cars before verifying and then copy them back in, I suppose.
Does it take a long time to do a "verify integrity" with Steam?

Neilski

2000RPM
Staff
Premium
Jan 7, 2017
Actually I'm pretty certain that it will not remove any mod cars or tracks.
What @Please Stop This said above isn't actually incompatible with this, if you read it a particular way...
(Not sure how long it will take - it'll need to checksum all files and then download any broken ones, so if you're on an SSD and don't have much missing/broken, maybe not very long at all.)

Reactions: Billy Pilgrim
Nov 18, 2013
it doesnt take long, as most of the big files are the same, i guess
sound mods for kunos cars will be broken after that
additional mods (non-kunos cars or tracks) will not be touched
copy cars and tracks away and back will work as you said

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy Pilgrim

Billy Pilgrim

1000RPM
Premium
Mar 25, 2014
I did the verify game files integrity via Steam. It worked :) AC now works again.

There's something I don't understand though: I did the verify via Steam, then deleted all my cars and tracks to copy back in all my cars and tracks that I had backed up / copied just before verifying AC files via Steam. But to paste them back in, there wasn't enough space on my C drive.

This doesn't make sense as I had had enough space for all my cars and tracks after the verify via Steam.

Any idea?

manc0ntr0

250RPM
Jul 23, 2009
If you deleted cars and tracks, they must be in the recycle bin and s.o. doesn't marked this space as free.
Anyway, you didn't need to do that. Only original files are overwriten and only if they were modified, like sounds for example. If you install this kind of mods as mods in CM, you only need to deactivate them before doing the integrity check.

Billy Pilgrim

1000RPM
Premium
Mar 25, 2014
If you deleted cars and tracks, they must be in the recycle bin and s.o. doesn't marked this space as free.
Anyway, you didn't need to do that. Only original files are overwriten and only if they were modified, like sounds for example. If you install this kind of mods as mods in CM, you only need to deactivate them before doing the integrity check.
Thanks for the reply.
I don't use CM to install mods; I do it manually.
I needed to delete the newly installed Cars and Tracks folders as a lot of rubbishy Kunos original car skins (that I had deleted) were reinstalled (Sounds too, tyres... ), and to some extent this is true for the tracks too.

On my Windows 10, when you delete huge amounts of data (like 100Gbs or something), a warning comes up to say that it is too big for the recycle bin. Also, I deleted the recycle bin contents after the integrity check - there wasn't much in there.

Denis Betty

The older I get, the better I was.
Staff
Premium
Jun 18, 2013
Where was the back up saved?
Maybe the clipboard is on the C drive?
Perhaps you had 2 copies on C drive somehow?

Billy Pilgrim

1000RPM
Premium
Mar 25, 2014
Where was the back up saved?
Maybe the clipboard is on the C drive?
Perhaps you had 2 copies on C drive somehow?
Hey, thanks for the idea. The back up was all on another hard disk (in the same computer). I have a solid state hard disk and a classic (dunno what you call it) hard disk on my PC.

manc0ntr0

250RPM
Jul 23, 2009
Thanks for the reply.
I don't use CM to install mods; I do it manually.
I needed to delete the newly installed Cars and Tracks folders as a lot of rubbishy Kunos original car skins (that I had deleted) were reinstalled (Sounds too, tyres... ), and to some extent this is true for the tracks too.

On my Windows 10, when you delete huge amounts of data (like 100Gbs or something), a warning comes up to say that it is too big for the recycle bin. Also, I deleted the recycle bin contents after the integrity check - there wasn't much in there.
You should use something like CM or JGSME to manage the mods wich make modifications over original files, like sounds. This way, you can revert the modification when you want and turn the original file back.

Billy Pilgrim

1000RPM
Premium
Mar 25, 2014
You should use something like CM or JGSME to manage the mods wich make modifications over original files, like sounds. This way, you can revert the modification when you want and turn the original file back.
Thanks for the tip. I do use JGSME for some mods. But I tend to do the vast majority of them manually.