Content Manager compress textures option

blackcelica

1000RPM
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Hi all,
Within Content Manager under content, tools is a compress texture option that compresses all DDS and KN5 files for quicker loading and saving disk space. Has anyone tried this yet? and with what results? I don't want to ruin my collection of skins with great textures to a bunch of lego. I am backed up and might run it tomorrow. I was just enquiring if anyone else had already done it and to please share their findings.

DarXtreme

75RPM
Jun 21, 2017
Hi all,
Within Content Manager under content, tools is a compress texture option that compresses all DDS and KN5 files for quicker loading and saving disk space. Has anyone tried this yet? and with what results? I don't want to ruin my collection of skins with great textures to a bunch of lego. I am backed up and might run it tomorrow. I was just enquiring if anyone else had already done it and to please share their findings.
Hi! The compressionctool is an awesome feature! I use it sometimes to compress downloaded mods. If you use the suggested algorithm you will be able to compress your AC folder to 1/3 of the original space. Since i started to use this tool, i had no problem with corrupt or damaged files.

Reactions: miguelbaptista

CreamyCornCob

500RPM
Oct 23, 2018
It works fine. It uses W10 file compression (use the recommended CM setting). It changes nothing in terms of access to files, moving, deleting etc. The compression does take a bit of time, depending how big your AC footprint is.

Close everything (except CM), well I did, and dont use the pc while compression, just to give the OS all of its resources to compress. It saves a big chunk of space (if I remember correctly, it saved 40-50% of space by compressing.

And load times are much snappier.

AlleyViper

500RPM
Oct 29, 2015
It's compression at file system level, not content (md5s will be the same, so no texture detail is lost ingame). It differs a bit to NTFS compression (it uses compact /exe instead) as it's a compress-once operation per file (this is only supported under W10). Because AC loads everything into memory before going into track, the only extra cpu load that will happen is during race loading, so it won't result in extra cpu usage when it matters. In some cases, loading and decompressing into memory a small file can be quicker than loading a larger file from the same storage.

For this reason, just keep LZX selected for AC, because it offers max compression. OTH on a game that streams assets from your storage and cpu usage must be reduced, a lighter xpress4-16K algorithm is preferable.

If you're doing this to game content on a hdd, then do a defrag once after its done, because the process can cause file fragmentation. No need to worry on a SSD.

Last edited:

blackcelica

1000RPM
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Thanks for the replies, I'm on a SSD a 256gb one just for AC. I've just ran the compression tool and gone from 109GB down to 52GB. Amazing. Under folder properties it shows the textures are still the same but space on disk significantly lower. I take it that means it decompresses as it's loaded in to memory?

AERO_yt

1RPM
Dec 9, 2018
Hey, it shows here that some of the files will increased in size if compressed, is that wrong? Do I run it anyway? I only have 30Gb left.
2019-04-19 22_00_45-Greenshot.png

AlleyViper

500RPM
Oct 29, 2015
That's just a small (rounding?) ui bug. It just means that those files aren't compressed, so original and compressed columns will match (hence no ratio is reported). It's not meant to preview compression results, just report the actual state.
After pressing "compress" the sizes reported on compressed column will be much smaller.

AERO_yt

1RPM
Dec 9, 2018
So I should expect a 40-50ish% decrease in file size based on what I read above, correct?

oh and if I add new cars that I just downloaded after de compression process, can I run it again?
can files be compressed multiple times?

Last edited:

Rogerbee

500RPM
May 2, 2018
After a nightmare with Doublespace that necessitated me wiping my entire computer back in the 90's, any form of file compression scares the hell out of me! I have a 1TB SSD anyway and it's not half full yet. That's with 778 cars and 221 tracks!

Juergen Lung

50RPM
Premium
Jul 19, 2015
I also start the compression because my 1TB SSD was full completely with assetto corsa.
After compressing i have more than 50% free space. Not big deal for the performance.
After adding new cars / tracks you can run compress again and it will only compress the new files which still uncompressed.

AlleyViper

500RPM
Oct 29, 2015
Nothing, that is separate from your dds/kn5 game files. You'll still be able to compress/uncompress when you wish with newer versions, as long as that menu option remains.