Content Manager: ballast or restrictor for custom series?

Uff

Premium
I downloaded some F1 2004 skins in order to create a full 2004 roster to go with Kunos' Ferrari F2004. Content Manager lets us set ballast or restrictor for each car and this would be perfect in order to create a preset of cars that replicate a proper F1 seasons.
Which solution would work better in your opinion? Maybe a mix of the two, where restrictor removes power from the car and ballast let you set which is the fastest driver in the team?

I downloaded some F1 2004 skins in order to create a full 2004 roster to go with Kunos' Ferrari F2004. Content Manager lets us set ballast or restrictor for each car and this would be perfect in order to create a preset of cars that replicate a proper F1 seasons.
Which solution would work better in your opinion? Maybe a mix of the two, where restrictor removes power from the car and ballast let you set which is the fastest driver in the team?
I'd mix it up between the 2. If you know which cars were generally faster on the straights be sure to give them ballast not restrictor.

Generally I give ballast to cars that need slowing down but don't have a straight line speed advantage and restrictor to cars which mainly have an advantage on the straights.

Restrictor will slow cars down during accel/top speed. Ballast will slow them down a bit everywhere.

Reactions: Uff
I'll do some tests, thanks. Even a few restrictor points can definitely have a big impact on these cars, as they start from a very high HP number.

I imagine it will do on those cars, I have to use quite high numbers on some of the cars I like. If all those cars are the same other than skins I guess 5-10% or maybe even less.

I imagine it will do on those cars, I have to use quite high numbers on some of the cars I like. If all those cars are the same other than skins I guess 5-10% or maybe even less.

Yes, the base is the F2004 from Kunos, only skins are different. Being cars with around 900 HP, 10% would be 90 HP less which is quite a lot for a F1 car. :)

Yes, the base is the F2004 from Kunos, only skins are different. Being cars with around 900 HP, 10% would be 90 HP less which is quite a lot for a F1 car. :)
It doesn't work like that, don't ask me how it does but the percentage is probably how closed the restrictor is. Still 10% could have quite an impact on that car all the same, I haven't really restricted any high end modern race cars.

It doesn't work like that, don't ask me how it does but the percentage is probably how closed the restrictor is. Still 10% could have quite an impact on that car all the same, I haven't really restricted any high end modern race cars.
I gave a better read to what reported here and you are correct. I'll check if I can figure out those two informations (total/minimum power) in CM, so to get a better idea of how much power each car is going to lose.

If you're going to do tests, also make sure you run the same test in multiple different sessions. AC's AI have a massive random variance in pace session to session even when there is no AI skill variance specified. I've seen the same car, at the same %, in the same conditions change over 2 seconds per lap when loading up the track again. You'll have to do several tests to get your baseline data correct

I didnt understand it,can you explain?Im trying to restrict a car that is 700hp and want to make it go at 120kmh(Like a traffic ai)How can I do that?For example,If I write 10 to the restriction in CM,does It cut %10 of the power(meaning 70 hp is gone)?and can I restrict the AI s separately?(restricting one by %10,another one by %27)
Little late to the party, but this is the equation for restrictors in AC:

Torque_Final = Torque_Original*(1-rpm*(restrictor/400))

Torque and power are interchangeable.

Little late to the party, but this is the equation for restrictors in AC:

Torque_Final = Torque_Original*(1-rpm*(restrictor/400))

Torque and power are interchangeable.

You need to show a calculation as this makes invalid results when I put values into this formula
rpm*(restrictor/400) does not equal less than 1 in my calculations (it needs be less than 1 to reduce power/torque in this formula)

Last edited:
I'm upping this old thread because I would like to ask some additional informations to @mclarenf1papa and @PhilS13 .
When using the formula provided in the previous message, I get a result similar to 0.925 when using a 15% restrictor for a 350Nm of torque.
Taking as an example the RSS 2000, which Content Manager reports to have 805 bhp, is the following calculation correct?
BHP/Torque => 805/350 = 2.3
Torque with 15% restrictor: 350*0.925 = 323.75
Final BHP: 323.73*2.3 = 744.625 bhp

Does the BHP/Torque can be applied like this to get the final bhp from the calculated torque with restrictor applied?

I'm upping this old thread because I would like to ask some additional informations to @mclarenf1papa and @PhilS13 .
When using the formula provided in the previous message, I get a result similar to 0.925 when using a 15% restrictor for a 350Nm of torque.
Taking as an example the RSS 2000, which Content Manager reports to have 805 bhp, is the following calculation correct?
BHP/Torque => 805/350 = 2.3
Torque with 15% restrictor: 350*0.925 = 323.75
Final BHP: 323.73*2.3 = 744.625 bhp

Does the BHP/Torque can be applied like this to get the final bhp from the calculated torque with restrictor applied?
No. Peak torque and peak HP are not at the same rpm.

Just use this

HP_Final = HP_Original*(1-rpm*(restrictor_in_percent/4000000))

Use it at peak hp rpm to figure out the new peak hp.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back