Considering RF2

Veteran simracer reporting in, veteran doesnt make me fast however but i do enjoy my simracing :)

Lately i seem to be mostly racing against the AI and im hearing great things about the AI of RF2 hence my curiousity,

I have all the current sims, i enjoy them all with the exception of pcars2 it feels like a plastic sim to me.
I cant seem to find info on base content of RF2 but i enjoy GT cars, V8 supercars,LMP,touring cars etc mostly but also some open wheel stuff so with mods i hope im covered.

How is the FFB and physics compared to the likes of AC,raceroom, iracing and AMS?

The best track by far, is S397 Sebring. Unfortunately, it's paid DLC. Take any suitable race car around there and that's about as good as rF2 gets IMO. :)

Last edited:
rF2 is one of the major Sims to me, it’s a must have.
I can concur with most things being said here, but I must stress that the total lack of drivetrain simulation really stands against the notion of being the sim gold standard. You can easily cheat your way through a race flatshifting every manual gearbox!
And the tiremodel... I don’t think you should be able to drift a GT3/2 or LMP in that fashion.
Still, definitely worth buying to me.

Yes, I have had all the contenders for some time now. I have tried to compare them as equally as I can but I just can´t spot the "thing" with rf2. I mean what it could better than the others.

I'm new to rf2 to the point I only got it running last night.

i'm using lime rock park (no chicanes) using the C6.R that's in the game. My issue is that I can't seem to feel the back end. The front end feel is good but there's nothing going on with the back of the car that's being translated by the wheel.

I have an OSW 20nm using the OSW preloaded config. I lowered the FFB rate from 1.0 to .4 to save my arms. Any settings to try out?

My issue is that I can't seem to feel the back end. The front end feel is good but there's nothing going on with the back of the car that's being translated by the wheel.
Why do you expect to feel the back end in the wheel when the wheel is only connect to the front wheels? The front goes light or loads up and that's the only thing you should feel in the wheel. More accurate and immediate is whether the car is yawing or not.

For instance, when I'm autocrossing, I sure as hell can't feel when that inside rear wheel goes airborne or comes back down!
Pepper at 2019 SSSCC 2 wheel lift.jpg

Why do you expect to feel the back end in the wheel when the wheel is only connect to the front wheels? The front goes light or loads up and that's the only thing you should feel in the wheel. More accurate and immediate is whether the car is yawing or not.

For instance, when I'm autocrossing, I sure as hell can't feel when that inside rear wheel goes airborne or comes back down!
View attachment 302497
OMG, you really! did this?
Knowing best we all feel what the car does on all four wheels if the sim/car combo is good?

Come on dude!

I wouldn't recomend rF2 to anyone personally. I just attempted to play it again for the first time in a long while.

It went a little something like this.

Waited for an age for the game to start, annoyed right away by having to navigate menus using VR. Selected a car and track, got on track (after another very long wait) driver not centred properly in the car, oh well I'll brave it for a lap or 2 then google how to recentre VR in rF2. Sounds all playing through my TV rather than Rift thanks to Steam VR not allowing more than one audio device and overly wobbly head movement. Back to pits to fix the head movement, ok I really cant deal with sitting in the footwell so time to google how to recentre... oh yeah, you cant alt tab out of rF2. Exited the game and I think I will leave it another 6 months until I forget how frustrating rF2 is before I attempt it again.

I wouldn't recomend rF2 to anyone personally. I just attempted to play it again for the first time in a long while.

It went a little something like this.

Waited for an age for the game to start, annoyed right away by having to navigate menus using VR. Selected a car and track, got on track (after another very long wait) driver not centred properly in the car, oh well I'll brave it for a lap or 2 then google how to recentre VR in rF2. Sounds all playing through my TV rather than Rift thanks to Steam VR not allowing more than one audio device and overly wobbly head movement. Back to pits to fix the head movement, ok I really cant deal with sitting in the footwell so time to google how to recentre... oh yeah, you cant alt tab out of rF2. Exited the game and I think I will leave it another 6 months until I forget how frustrating rF2 is before I attempt it again.
1 - Centre headset key can be assigned.
2 - Alt tab works if in Window as opposed to Fullscreen
3 - Sounds like RF2 ain't for you :)

Ive raced Mid Ohio several times. So having Mid Ohio in RF2 is utterly fantastic. And getting to go around this track was like second nature even in RF2. Every little detail was there, I knew what was gonna happen when I git this bump on turn 3, I knew how to handle this corner, and lo and behold, I can drive almost exactly how I drive it in real life.

As a new rfactor driver, *something* in the way this thing drives and handles is what makes this shine. I have AC, AMS, and have tried Raceroom.

AMS is as close to RF2 as it gets.
AC handling feels *weird*
Raceroom, naw.. feels like project cars 2.

1 - Centre headset key can be assigned.
2 - Alt tab works if in Window as opposed to Fullscreen
3 - Sounds like RF2 ain't for you :)

Windowed alt-tabbing isn't really alt-tabbing, it's just switching between applications that are already not running in fullscreen.
oh yeah, you cant alt tab out of rF2.

You can, but I noticed a long time ago that alt-tabbing in rF2 gets broken if you click on any other window during loading of the game (after you launch the game). If you don't move out of focus from the game loading stage, then alt-tabbing will work perfectly fine after that, once you are in the main game.

Windowed alt-tabbing isn't really alt-tabbing, it's just switching between applications that are already not running in fullscreen.

You can, but I noticed a long time ago that alt-tabbing in rF2 gets broken if you click on any other window during loading of the game (after you launch the game). If you don't move out of focus from the game loading stage, then alt-tabbing will work perfectly fine after that, once you are in the main game.
Alt tab followed by Windows key D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 282 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years