Considering OLED + G9 for simracing

Am close to finalizing the new system and trying to decide which monitor set-up would serve me best. The new 32" 4K monitors are tempting, but the price for the mini-LED versions will be around $3k USD. Would much rather avoid the bleeding edge, so am considering the following. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

Use Case: Photo Editing, Sim Racing, General Gaming

1. LG C1/CX for a general desktop monitor and a G9 for the simrig. Willing to wait a little bit to see when the 2021 G9 will be released/price. Would purchase from BestBuy to obtain extended warranty with burn-in protection.

2. LG 38GN950 for desktop and simracing ("budget" option).

3. Triple LG 27GN950's on an adjustable VESA arm so I can easily move into place for either desk or rig.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Do you have separate rig for sim racing?
If it's single desktop setup for all activities I'd recommend to stick with LG 38GN950 as it's more versatile and just a better panel in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a separate SimLab rig but will run productivity and racing off the same PC. Will eventually mount a G9 or Triples to the rig but figured the 38GN950 could do double duty in the short run. OLED and/or 4K would be nice for content and editing photos. C1 would also be able to run HD content via the integrated apps (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) vs. having to run it through Windows HD implementation. At the end of the day, my Ideal desktop display would be a microLED/OLED 40" 5k2k @144 but such a beast does not exist (yet).

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

G9 works great on integrated P1X monitor mount.
I have one PC shared between desktop with LG 38GN950 and sim rig with bolted G9, and just switching between active monitors in Windows when moving from one setup to another.
I've also seen setup on this forum with one monitor on articulated arm shared between desk and rig, but they should be very close to each other to make this work.

I can imagine something like Amazon Firestick can bypass Windows HDR too, 16:9 does not work that well in large sizes on desks, been there, ultrawide format is much better.

At the time, did you have a choice between the 38GN and the 38GL? Not sure which is preferable, the G-Sync module @ HDR400 or Freesync @ HDR600.

My concern with getting both the 38GN950 and a G9 is that I am basically doubling up on tightly curved ultrawide monitors at the expense of a true 4k or 5k2k display for productivity.

Also, just saw OptimumTech's review of the PG32UQX... TL;DR: Not worth the $$$ over an LG 27GN950 or C1/CX. That said, perhaps the PG32UQ, Viewsonic XG320U, or Acer XB323QK will fit the bill when released in a couple of weeks (hopefully). All of those are non mini-led and should be more inline with the IQ of the 27GN950 (32" version of which should be this winter). https://www.displayninja.com/new-monitors/

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

At the time, did you have a choice between the 38GN and the 38GL? Not sure which is preferable, the G-Sync module @ HDR400 or Freesync @ HDR600.

My concern with getting both the 38GN950 and a G9 is that I am basically doubling up on tightly curved ultrawide monitors at the expense of a true 4k or 5k2k display for productivity.

Also, just saw OptimumTech's review of the PG32UQX... TL;DR: Not worth the $$$ over an LG 27GN950 or C1/CX. That said, perhaps the PG32UQ, Viewsonic XG320U, or Acer XB323QK will fit the bill when released in a couple of weeks (hopefully). All of those are non mini-led and should be more inline with the IQ of the 27GN950 (32" version of which should be this winter). https://www.displayninja.com/new-monitors/

GN is better. GL GSync module is super noisy, plus you get better HDR.

Ordered the 38gn950 from Costco for delivery later this week (only place I could find it in-stock at non-scalper pricing). 90 day no-questions return policy if I don't like it, so will give it a try and see how it profiles.. Concern with it for production is the somewhat restricted gamut - would like to get to 99%+ aRGB.

• Deleted member 197115

For others having problem sourcing one, there is a business model of the same monitor, which is exactly the same with better warranty. I got mine from Provantage too, and seems like they have them in stock at the moment.

Received my 38GN850 this afternoon and just got it set up. Unfortunately, some issues were revealed after calibrating with an iRite Display1Pro and do not think I am going to keep it. Color calibration is great, but there are significant problems with luminosity. The lower middle and lower right sectors are noticeably brighter and are off by over 10% compared to the rest of the panel across the spectrum. Cannot rely on this for production work and will need to return if it does not even out after a bit of use.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 12.17.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 12.17.59 AM.png
    246.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 12.17.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 12.17.45 AM.png
    242.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 12.17.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 12.17.34 AM.png
    246.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Latest News