Connection between PC and monitor: HDMI or DVI?

It shouldn't make and difference except that HDMI also has sound.
But when I used a second monitor connected with DVI I notice that the colours where warmer and my Sims looked better.
Now I use only DVI.

Upvote 0
latest HDMI's have higher data rate than DVI, let alone HDMI is capable of higher Resolutions on proper Framerates, DVI is capable of sound tho this is meant for DVB Receivers that have Radeon Onboard Graphics etc. So you can have Sound for Youtube without the HDMI but only a few DVI formats have this and not common for PC.
I'd say if you want to stay on crossplatforming for example use your TV as the PC I'd take the HDMI but I agree that the DVI has the better colours.
I use DVI on my "22 Monitor for PC but using HDMI for TV that is linked to my PC so I can play a few games on a "50. I have to use Component for my Xbox360 as I run out of HDMI so I have to loose a bit of quality there but still the resolution is the same just not as fluent.
HDMI is the new standard so I recommend this on anything at 1080p or above as 4K will become the new standard soon this will then again be worthwhile until something new comes up.
For anything not more than "22 or 1920*1080 I recommend DVI still, for multi screen I'm not sure I haven't had a go at triple screening, as I seek for a stereoscoping curved screen so I don't have borders but this damn thing is quite expensive.

Upvote 0
My previous TV (32" LCD) The DVI gave me a much better picture but I now have a 32" LED 1080P TV and now it makes no difference at all. So I guess it really depends on the monitor/TV you are using.

Upvote 0
I use a 27" monitor, 120 Hz
I received other comments on an other forum saying, that it is absolutly better for me to use DVI with 120 Hz monitor because HDMI can't go up to 60 Hz.
Moreover, I have a logitech sound system, so I don't need the HDMI with sound +video signal.

Upvote 0
I use a 27" monitor, 120 Hz
I received other comments on an other forum saying, that it is absolutly better for me to use DVI with 120 Hz monitor because HDMI can't go up to 60 Hz.
Moreover, I have a logitech sound system, so I don't need the HDMI with sound +video signal.
If the monitor has a display port your fine with that to use 120Hz.
Or dual-link DVI.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If the monitor has a display port your fine with that to use 120Hz.
Or dual-link DVI.

Yes the monitor has a DVI-D (Dual Link)
original

Upvote 0
I too just built my first PC, and also chose a GTX 780. I originally had a 27" 120Hz BenQ 1080p monitor (connected via DVI-D), but swapped it for a 27" 60Hz 1440p Monoprice panel (HDMI).

For me, with the monitor so close (Obutto R3volution), 1440p just looked better, but it seems a little laggy. The GTG response time is 8ms (compared to 1 or 2 ms for the 1080p 120Hz). I'm not hopeful, but do you guys think DVI-D or DisplayPort would reduce lag (which may be in my head anyway)?

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 362 15.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years