Configuring New PC

• Deleted member 197115

Can you even read? I'm saying, my screen works fine, even if it's not on the supported list. However, the version with speakers is, so that's why I made that choice.
I do, just chose not to bother with wall of text to keep up with millennials. :laugh:
Which test? I see 20W. Power draw from the site states 260 versus 250W. Recommended PSU 650 versus 600W.

https://www.nvidia.com/nl-nl/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2080-ti/
https://www.nvidia.com/nl-nl/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1080-ti/

It's actually 66 watts.
upload_2019-8-16_10-30-15.png

Awesome to see a thread about a simracing PC build end up with a fight over PSU specs, 3 pages long and starting to insult/provoke people...
That guy will probably unwatch his own thread and never come back to this forum, lol.

I jumped on the wagon too though. But imo there are the same questions about simracing PCs every second day with topics and knowledge level that should rather seek help in computer forums and not on racedepartment.

Maybe we should do a pinned thread with some major key phrasings :p

1. Single thread performance, single thread performance and single thread performance
2. At least 6 cores please
3. OC the CPU to the maxxxxx (only buy amd ryzen if you do workstation stuff too)
4. The nvidia cards suck, so do amd cards. Better wait another year, trololol
5. Get freesync/gsync or you'll never know what fluid simracing is
6. VR is glorious and sucks hugely at the same time. 45 fps are totally fine... Until they are not and you need a 3.000€ PC to maintain constant 90 fps instead of a 600€ PC to casually run 45 fps.

7. The people at RD are all nerds with too much time on their hands. Normally we don't bite but we like to flame each other in every thread there is.

• Deleted member 197115

Good one, Rasmus.
BTW, reprojection sucks. :whistling:

Glad I never got involved ...............for once :p

Hard to justify any response without a budget
Personally when I build I start with 25% CPU and 40% GPU as rough guide
So a $2,000 AU ( $1,400US) tower would be much what your mate said 9700K -GTX 1070Ti 'ish
Asus Hero or Gigabyte Master are good , you can save a bit if you don't need wifi or bluetooth
That corsair is good especially if you don't want to pay for pretty lighting
I got G.Skill F4 for same reason just not willing to blow $50 on it

As stated FPS is not the be all end of it anymore with freesync/gsync the norm
Overclocking is not free you only get as good as you give
I brought $139AU ram the best new model Neo is $500 and good mobo is $629 mine was 228 again 3 times dearer, instead I can buy a RTX 2080 and get more fps then any Overclocked RTX2070 combo

No one even mentioned cooler have they

few points maybe worth considering

Case design / layout
If you use SSD and USD DVD ( when needed) you can buy a really clean style case
with no bulky drive bays block airflow

Storage:
average system might be 250GB M2 SSD for OS and a 2TB Sata for sims/media
Here that costs $176AU where you can get a 2TB Samsung SSD for $273AU ( with $35 cashback offer extended to August 31st everywhere )
55% dearer you get 100%+ better speed and no fragmentation

Best thing for 3.5" drives in todays gaming tower is to buy a USB3.0 dual external drive bay and set any drives you use in it to Performance mode in device manager

Just my 2 cents worth and I brought a 1000w PSU purely because I got $99 off package
deal so it actually cost me $149 which is less then 750w Corsair and 5 years more warranty. https://www.pccasegear.com/products/44566/phanteks-revolt-pro-full-modular-gold-1000w-power-supply

I was willing to pay full price ( $299) for the tower in package ( $449), awesome case
the 2 glass sides would be heavier then my entire Corsair 750D ...almost lol

http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-X.html

That is 3,000AU tower not 2,000AU ;)

OK, thanks again for all of the replies.

Let me preface this by saying I’m probably in over my head talking about some of this stuff.

Regarding 1070 with 1080 monitors vs 2070 with 1440 monitors. I was under the impression that 2070/1440 was more prone to error than 1070/1080. Is this incorrect?

What about ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2070
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-Overclocked-Graphics-ROG-STRIX-RTX-2070-O8G/dp/B07JFYT2KD

Freesync vs gsync- is there much of a difference?

As for the power supply, that was recommended by my computer guy. I’ll tell him it may be overkill and see what he says.

Last edited:
few points maybe worth considering

Case design / layout
If you use SSD and USD DVD ( when needed) you can buy a really clean style case
with no bulky drive bays block airflow

Storage:
average system might be 250GB M2 SSD for OS and a 2TB Sata for sims/media
Here that costs $176AU where you can get a 2TB Samsung SSD for $273AU ( with $35 cashback offer extended to August 31st everywhere )
55% dearer you get 100%+ better speed and no fragmentation

Best thing for 3.5" drives in todays gaming tower is to buy a USB3.0 dual external drive bay and set any drives you use in it to Performance mode in device manager

Just my 2 cents worth and I brought a 1000w PSU purely because I got $99 off package
deal so it actually cost me $149 which is less then 750w Corsair and 5 years more warranty. https://www.pccasegear.com/products/44566/phanteks-revolt-pro-full-modular-gold-1000w-power-supply

I was willing to pay full price ( $299) for the tower in package ( $449), awesome case
the 2 glass sides would be heavier then my entire Corsair 750D ...almost lol

http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-X.html

That is 3,000AU tower not 2,000AU ;)

The case he recommended is the Carbide Series Air 540.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...40-High-Airflow-ATX-Cube-Case/p/CC-9011030-WW

The drive is NVMe, not sure which one.

The difference is that freesync is amd and gsync is nvidia. Freesync monitors aren't more expensive than normal gaming monitors whereas gsync monitors are a lot more expensive!
Since 2019 you can run freesync monitors with nvidia gpus in "gsync compatible mode" but sometimes it might not work well. Flickering, blanking etc.

So you can do one of these things:

1. Freesync monitors with amd gpu
2. Listed or recommended as gsync compatible freesync monitors with nvidia gpu
3. Gsync monitor with nvidia gpu

Overall from my experience (2 friends with gsync, 2 with freesync) gsync mostly works more stable and is easy to check whether it's active or not.
Freesync is more a thing of setting it up and then checking with your eyes whether or not it's active.
Sometimes you can't judge it during the first minutes and think "yeah it's on" and then it stutters...

I like to know exactly if something is running like intended or not without guessing...

• Deleted member 197115

Freesync IS G-Sync compatible on NVidia cards.
May be you were talking AMD cards?

Freesync IS G-Sync compatible on NVidia cards.
May be you were talking AMD cards?
I listed 3 cases of using vrr. It's simple to differentiate them by calling them simply freesync, gsync and gsync compatible.
But yeah, if you want to be a pita over little things then yes, of course gsync compatible mode does the same "freesync" with the freesync monitor as the module of freesync monitors doesn't get patched for another way of operating.

Anyway I'm sorry that you're that bothered by this useful inaccuracy I've made to keep things clear and simple.
I still won't always state whether I mean freesync on amd cards or nvidia cards in the future and will continue to call "freesync on nvidia cards" simply "gsync compatible".

I have enough of this stuff though and unwatched the thread. Be happy of getting rid of a participant of this discussion who tried to be helpful.

• Deleted member 197115

Sorry Rasmus if that upset you, it's hard to get what you meant in original or even in the last response.
It sounded like Freesync on NVidia cards does not provide any sort of indication of whether it's active or not, which is not accurate.
If you meant case of FreeSync on AMD card, it wasn't that clear to me.
My apologies if my best intention correction triggered you.
These days everyone is so easily offended, it's crazy.

OK, thanks again for all of the replies.

Let me preface this by saying I’m probably in over my head talking about some of this stuff.

Regarding 1070 with 1080 monitors vs 2070 with 1440 monitors. I was under the impression that 2070/1440 was more prone to error than 1070/1080. Is this incorrect?

What about ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2070
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-Overclocked-Graphics-ROG-STRIX-RTX-2070-O8G/dp/B07JFYT2KD

As for the power supply, that was recommended by my computer guy. I’ll tell him it may be overkill and see what he says.
2070 is about 1.5 times faster than 1070. 1440p is almost twice as many pixels as 1080p. So I'd say 2070 is not going to be enough for that unless you're OK to sacrifice graphics settings. Otherwise you will need 2080 super or even 2080ti. Also, 2070 makes no sense now (unless discounted down to $400). You better go with 2070 super.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back