Configuring New PC

And 1070ti is clearly not enough for 3x144Hz screens even if 1080p. That's 75% of 4K resolution, mind you. You need at least 2080 or 2070 super level of performance to get high fps on 3 screens.

• Deleted member 197115

2080Ti consumed about 50W more during tests comparing to 1080Ti. Nvidia also had higher system wattage requirement for that card vs 1080Ti.
May be things change in the bright, distant future, to better OR worse.

The 2080Ti used an absolutely HUGE chip which made yields low and increased costs dramatically.

It is a bad scenario where everyone loses because they couldn't get the process lower than 12nm in time for their release.

@Andrew_WOT

That is not a sponsored video. Take a look at this sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ej9mOe5NamLldpfyFfXrqvLMZP-aG2Zi1su7QzPRNJY/edit#gid=0

There are enough Freesync monitors which are not able to support G-Sync at all, or with artifacts like flickering, ghosting, stuttering and so on.

I myself got into this quite a while ago, since I've heard about the Adaptive Sync merge. After that, I decided to get out there and take a look for a few monitors for my triple setup. I also don't own a certified monitor, however, it's sister model is the one with speakers, mine is lacking those. So not a real worry since there won't be a different panel or something like that.

Besides that, the use of a 1000W PSU what you are recommending, what is the real argumentation on that?

Future proof? A good 750W unit will suffice for everything a SIM PC needs.
Overclocking? Overclocked, a 9700K will draw 30-40W during gaming. At stress tests, it's something different, but still.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-9700k-9th-gen-cpu,5876-2.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i7-9700k/16.html

During that gaming test, the 9700K (OC) with a 1080 Ti will take 380W, whilst a 1080 Ti takes 260-270 alone.

An overclocked 2070 will take as much power, ish, than the 1080 Ti.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-2070-super-strix-oc/30.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti/28.html

USB power draw, audio card power draw (Who is using those nowadays anyway?) and stuff like keyboards, mice, SSD's, won't take a 100W in total.

• Deleted member 197115

Your point? In theory power consumption drops but in practice...

Your point? In theory power consumption drops but in practice...

I'm showing you practice results. You're not helping anyone with childish reactions about sponsored video's, and recommending things you can't really clarify.

Here are some references of newer and older GPU's and CPU's.

power-maximum.png
power-gaming-peak.png
power-gaming.png
power-stress.png

Last edited:
An overclocked (~5GHz all core) 9700K will draw more like 60-70 during gaming, and up to 220 during torture tests (Prime95 with AVX, small FFT set) if you remove power limits in the BIOS. But 750w PSU is enough for such a build, even if you go with 2080ti

I have a 8 yr old 850w PSU. It's so old the company is out of business (OCZ). It powers a highly OC'd 9900k with oc'd ram and oc'd 2080ti just fine (I have nothing left to OC :(). I'd expect 2019 PSU's to have less ripple, better transient response and cleaner power delivery. In my setup a 750w would be more than fine. If anything, I'd go for a high quality PSU like platinum over a higher wattage and lower quality.

Unless you're XOC, you don't need an over the top PSU and if you were doing XOC, this thread wouldn't exist.

Run realbench with hwinfo and you can approximate your usage.

USB power draw, audio card power draw (Who is using those nowadays anyway?)

Really?

The audio card on my motherboard drives my 4 channel transducer amplifier.
The 2nd audio card is a 7.1 card. It's optical out drives my 5.1 surround system for mirroring audio in VR when I have friends over.

Other people will run Crew Chief over their headset and use a second card to drive speakers for everything else.

If I connected it to my high end stereo, I use async USB to the DAC.

Really?

The audio card on my motherboard drives my 4 channel transducer amplifier.
The 2nd audio card is a 7.1 card. It's optical out drives my 5.1 surround system for mirroring audio in VR when I have friends over.

Other people will run Crew Chief over their headset and use a second card to drive speakers for everything else.

Yes, really. I don't drive an transducer amplifier. If I would rock that, I would use an audio card as well. However, there are more people not running an audio card, than the other way around.

I get your point however.

To throw a wrench into this, the current USB 3.2 specification for power has the potential for a computer to deliver quite a bit of power to external USB devices. My laptop has a portable secondary monitor that gets power and signal off a single USB-C connector. Not that it uses much, but that is coming.

As an example, my Valve Index has an external power supply. Eventually VR headsets will pull power directly from the computer at least that is the thought behind the new USB-C connector in the back of the RTX video cards that no one is using yet. And yes I realize that the Rift and many other headsets currently run off of the computer. That is something else to factor in.

The 3.1 USB-C connector allows for up to 100W of power to be pulled.
However the VirtualLink USB 3.1 gen 2 only allows for 27W.

Last edited:
By the way. Why no Ryzen 7 or Ryzen 9?

Sims aren't very multicore and prefer max IPC on a couple of cores. Ryzen can't hang. If you're making a gaming/sim machine, intel i9 still wins esp if you put some time into OC'ing the chip. The Ryzen chips have no headroom. So while they have great IPC now, they can't keep up in raw frequency.

If you're doing a lot of productivity in tandem with gaming; code compiling, HQ streaming, rendering, encoding, then the Ryzen chips are a better buy.

Incidentally, 2020 = NVidia 30XX release with 7nm
https://wccftech.com/nvidias-ampere-gpu-launching-in-2020-will-be-based-on-samsungs-7nm-euv-process/

Intel has started to release samples of their 10nm laptop CPU's and should have more substantial offerings in 2020. In 2021 Intel "claims" they will have 7nm process going but it will mostly be for their server based graphics cards. We will see... their 10nm is only 4-5 years behind schedule.

My question is whether the Intel server graphics cards are for distributed gaming as a service or for use in rendering farms etc. since they are referring to them as server cards.

• Deleted member 197115

@Jacco van der Zaag, that was a response to a different user, not sure why you quoted it.
On Freeesync, I posted the list of NVidia certified monitors, those should work 100%. If your monitor is not on the list, there is community supported spreadsheet with what works and what not.
On my WM UHD420 (4k, 42"), that is not on NVidia list, Freesync works flawlessly with EVGA 1080Ti.
Sorry to hear your experience was different, but that does not mean that NVidia support for FreeSync sucks in general, they wouldn't be certifying G-Sync compatible monitors otherwise, or have many happy users like myself. :p

@Jacco van der Zaag, that was a response to a different user, not sure why you quoted it.
On Freeesync, I posted the list of NVidia certified monitors, those should work 100%. If your monitor is not on the list, there is community supported spreadsheet with what works and what not.
On my WM UHD420 (4k, 42"), that is not on NVidia list, Freesync works flawlessly with EVGA 1080Ti.
Sorry to hear your experience was different, but that does not mean that NVidia support for FreeSync sucks in general, they wouldn't be certifying G-Sync compatible monitors otherwise, or have many happy users like myself. :p

Can you even read? I'm saying, my screen works fine, even if it's not on the supported list. However, the version with speakers is, so that's why I made that choice.

• Deleted member 197115

The audio card you're using requires such little power that it's effectively a rounding error.
Perhaps, not with what ROG packages in. This baby can drive high impedance headphones without breaking a sweat.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 337 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 171 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 292 13.4%