Confession - my critique of new physics was wrong.

After intensive use of the FR90xx cars for about a month I have to say that my own critique that the behaviour of the FR90xx because of the new physics/TM was almost retarded to some boring arcade level - was wrong.:whistling:
My oppinion that the cars with the new tire model suddenly was much easier to drive/control was right - but this is only part of the story.
Because if you really does "push the envelope" of the car it is now possible to control and often save even some overdriving errors.
This was mostly not possible with the old tire model.:mad:

Now comes an explanation that is based on viewing both the old and new LB of the FR90xx.
I have allways considered it a problem that it was almost mandatory that there was a huge gap of several seconds (often 5-10 sec) between the few drivers in top and "the rest".
The problem with my critique (and 2 other experienced/fast drivers) was that because we to the contrary of "the rest" had found a way to get maximum out of the old unforgiving(!) TM - then we suddenly felt that this new much more forgiving TM was pure arcade.
:rolleyes:
But now after a month I have realised that if you does really "push the envelope" with the new TM then the behaviour going slightly "over the edge" is probably both more realistic and by any means more fun and satisfying.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: This revelation:geek: came to me because while optimizing my Raceroom LB setups I suddenly asked myself: If iRacings TM behaved like this would you still have been a member there? And you can probably guess my own answer.:sneaky:

After some intensive LB racing on Nordschleife, Silverstone and Spa in the 3x FR90 cars I have a further pretty positive new experience.:thumbsup:

I have allways tried to be fast on these 3 tracks - but at the same time hated these tracks because there were some places where you just had to go by your instincts and a good part of luck to be able to complete a real flying lap - that was able to position you among (or sometimes in front :)) of the top guys on the LB.

Why I hated it was because of the coincidence(luck) part of the outcome.
Because if you made a slight error on one of these urgent places it was impossible to either save the car or maybe regain the time lost in the slight error.

And now I come to my point!:roflmao:
With the new more forgiving TM in the FR90xx your driving skills can often make up for a slight error - because its now (often) possible to save the car in situations where you with the old TM would just crash.:sleep:

Hehe so now Im both faster on these 3 tracks but its also much more fun and challenging to complete fast laps - because coincidence/luck dont play so much a part of your success.;)

Eventhough I recieve no sponsor money from AlexH and the Raceroom team I will add to the positive things above that while Im working my way through the FR90xx leaderboards (againAgain :roflmao:) I just feel like Raceroom with the new physics/TM is a complete new sim.:p

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Without playing (too much) asshole then the only problem with the new more foregiving TM is that at least considering the FR90 LB the competition could be a bit harder.
So come on guys:laugh:

Bruno ;)
It didn't quite go that way for the rest of us so just speak for yourself. I personally said after the huge R3E upgrade that the car feels different and too easy to drive compared to the previous one.

Then others commented that the R3E change log did not mention any changes to the FR90 car. Later, Sector3 Developer told us that there were changes to the tire modeling and we experienced drivers immediately noticed that change, the inexperienced didn't notice any difference. That is what I meant then and I still feel this way.

I still think that the car is now too easy for me to run and does not provide the challenge which it offered previously. The F1 car should be harder to drive, thougth. Current FR90 it is nice to drive of course but easier and different than before the upgrade. I didn't ask for any changes to the car, so of course I was disappointed when they changed it.

The car was perfect for me before the upgrade, it was so hard and challenging to drive fast and tight corners, that's all :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I still think that the car is now too easy for me to run and does not provide the challenge which it offered previously. The F1 car should be harder to drive, thougth. Current FR90 it is nice to drive of course but easier and different than before the upgrade.
As you can see for yourself in my posts we does agree that the new FR90´s are easier to drive.:thumbsup:
But its also obvious that we disagree on the point that a F1 car has to be difficult to drive exactly the way the FR90´s was before.:cool:
My oppinion is that the difficulty before was that the cars behaved completely unrealistic driving on the edge(of adhesion).

As I mentioned in my posts a few of us was able to control this unrealistic "binary" behaviour and we therefore often ended on top of Racerooms FR90`s LB´s.:)
Definition: Binary=(abrubt on/off grip).

The reason I like the new FR90´s much better than the old is that now you can drive both faster and (what is urgent to me) if you can keep the car on the new edge then it is suddenly possible to "play with the throttle" going slightly over the edge - and often bring the car (somewhat :whistling:) safely back to car control still on the edge without sliding out into the picnick area.:roflmao:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Its obvious that we disagree on the point that I mean that there are way more challenging advances with the new physics/TM than the old - and you mean that the old was better because it was more difficult.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back