Concerns over the upcoming copyright laws in EU

Depending on where Race Department servers are hosted depends if there is any effect if this law does get passed as the law ends fair use on main land Europe with fines going to website owners that ignore the law.

To break this down a little more, what this law could prevent on Race Department ( i would say on the more extreme end ) as Race Department would have to scan every upload and remove anything that has been trademarked or copyrighted

Track Mods that use the original track name ( only if the track owners have not given permission ).
Car Skins based on real cars ( same as above and this also effects copyright logo's )
Car Mods. ( all cars are subject to copyright laws to prevent competition for copying their design features )
Posting of images of any race car even if the person has taken the photo themselves.
Quoting any news website with out permission as there would be no fair use.

Youtube will be hit the hardest as we should see a massive purge of video's that currently fall under the fair use laws and a massive amount of Video's will be blocked in Europe

If this Law does get passed i can an increase of Europeans using servers in the UK or else where to get round the fines as different laws will apply.

I would ask everyone in Europe to contact your local MEP and tell them this is a bad idea and fair use should not be made illegal as this would be the only way they listen

Thank you for the response. Some of the comments I saw were also related to mods and some people expressed the fear that it could be very damaging to the Mod community.

• Deleted member 13397

even if it is completely off topic ( and i must admit that i rather think loopholes will closed with time going on)
i am more concern over JEFTA (as a EU citizen) then over if i can upload or download a mod

The only answer i have is, if its 100% your creation then it would never be an issue but if you base it on a real world car and use logo's then you might have issues. The best thing you could do is contact your MEP and tell them that this change in law could end up stopping your creativity ( explain what you do ) and ask them not to support the change in law. The more people that contact their MEP the greater the chance of them voting against it as MEP's and the Euro Parliament are out of touch of what happens in the real world.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 295 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 262 13.6%