Computer Oculus Rift viable ?

Hi Guys,
im really interested to buy oculus rift for assetto corsa, im just not sure if my computer can handle it
FPS @ high/ultra settings on 1080p in assetto corsa without oculus rift is around 100-120 stable.

Computer :
i5-4690k @ 3,5ghz
AS-Rock Z97 Pro4
8 gb DDR3-1600
msi geforce 970 4GB

Do you think it will be enough to run assetto corsa smooth with oculus rift ?
Or is it better to wait 1-2 years and buy the OR as soon as I have a new computer?

Thank you!

The 970 is, from my point of view, really the total minimum for VR. Actually, I don't advise on buying a VR headset with it. I personally have a GTX980 and it works ok most of the time. However, as soon as I enable post processing, the problems are starting.

So while you might be able to use the Rift with AC, you might have to reduce the details too much to make it an enjoyable experience.

Maybe try to get a cheap GTX1060, it's better than the 970. Else, you can wait for 1-2 years and get even newer hardware then.

I had a 970 when I first got my Rift, and as Shma points out you pretty much have to disable PP filters to get a decent framerate; and I had 16GB RAM at the time, and an i7 4790K @ 4GHz.

I've since upgraded to a 1080, and I still can't run it with as many AI at a high detail as I'd like to. Or, rather, I get stuttering in large fields, anyways.

I don't know if you're already doing it, but what you should definitelly do is to cut back on those reflection settings.

For now, I'm quite happy (performance wise) with the settings on attached screenshot. I'd really like to up Reflections and Shadows though, but it does not seem possible without constantly getting down to 45 or even lower FSP. And VR is really only enjoyable at higher rates.

As for @sfef, he'd have to go with even lower settings... I think a maximum of 4x AF and no modification on the LOD Bias would be required as well as going for even lower shadow resolution.

/Edit: I'm on an i7-5930K btw

Attachments

• videosettings.PNG
    videosettings.PNG
    486.3 KB · Views: 186
Okay, thats what i thought, thank you.
So I´ll better wait 1-2 years and get one as soon as I have a new computer
I wouldn't go that far.
I had a Windforce GTX970 initially with my Rift.
It was not a bad experience, but I knew I was going to a GTX1070 in a few weeks.
Sell the 970 add the difference and go to a 1070 or better and get that headset.
You will not regret it.
All the other components are more than capable of running it.
I run on an I7-3820@ 3.8GHz...(that's only 200 MHz OC from stock...very little) on an X79 motherboard from 2011 with high to ultra settings, PP enabled and 1.5 PPD.
The game runs extremely smooth.
Go look at any of my videos here or on YT.
You can certainly do it with what you have.

I don't know if you're already doing it, but what you should definitelly do is to cut back on those reflection settings.

For now, I'm quite happy (performance wise) with the settings on attached screenshot. I'd really like to up Reflections and Shadows though, but it does not seem possible without constantly getting down to 45 or even lower FSP. And VR is really only enjoyable at higher rates.

As for @sfef, he'd have to go with even lower settings... I think a maximum of 4x AF and no modification on the LOD Bias would be required as well as going for even lower shadow resolution.

/Edit: I'm on an i7-5930K btw

I had turned reflections down at one point, I'll have to double check they still are. I run with PP enabled, though, because I want to see my opponents' brake lights and on some cars you really need it on to see, unfortunately.

I run with PP enabled, though, because I want to see my opponents' brake lights and on some cars you really need it on to see, unfortunately.
As I practiced for a race I noticed that too and took a look at those PP settings. Made a PP preset for me with only tone mapping enabled. FPS wise looks it looks fine and it seems to be enough to get visible backlights.

I don't know if such a simple PP preset is already available in the download section. I'll check and may upload it later.

So, I did not find one in the download section. However, I want you to check if you really want something like this.

Top picture shows cars in the distance with no post processing enabled, currently slamming the brakes. The lights are really not all that visible on that BMW. The bottom one is the PP filter with only the tone mapping enabled. The light are much more visible.

Let me know if you want something like this, then I will do a quick upload.

Attachments

• comparison.PNG
    comparison.PNG
    347.4 KB · Views: 186
So, I did not find one in the download section. However, I want you to check if you really want something like this.

Top picture shows cars in the distance with no post processing enabled, currently slamming the brakes. The lights are really not all that visible on that BMW. The bottom one is the PP filter with only the tone mapping enabled. The light are much more visible.

Let me know if you want something like this, then I will do a quick upload.

I'd love to have it, if you don't mind uploading :)

Currently running a i5 3570k oc to 4.5 ghz evga 970 ssc with a dk2 and it runs pretty solid at 75 fps on med settings x4aa and 20 ai
Cpu avg 80%+ mid 90's at race start
Gpu avg 60-85%

Would love to see some of the dev teams take advantage of nvidia sli for vr which would help out those with older systems and short on funds.....much rather put $3k into my rl car than upgrading my pc to play vr :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back