Complete upgrade of pedals + wheel + VR on a budget

Hey guys

I've come back to sim racing after a 5 year break. I didn't take long to get to where I was when I first stopped but now I feel that an upgrade of my hardware would greatly help me. I've been using an old Fanatec CSR kit that is starting to fail on me, even after some DIY repairs. So the first part of my question is what's the best racing wheel + pedals that I can get for 1000€? Is my budget too unrealistic (suggestions welcome)? F1 style racing wheel is almost a must as I use a lot of wheel buttons and dials to navigate in race menus, as well as I hate round wheels.

The second part relates to VR. I'm really into IRacing and Assetto Corsa and I was looking to improve the immersiveness. I usually run 1h to "endurance" races and I like smooth gameplay. Which VR set would you recommend? I see that a lot of people like the Rift S. Moreover, do these sets get too hot for endurance racing? I have a 8700k @5GHz and an overclocked 1080ti, which I hope is enough for VR.

Thanks in advance

I just went through the same thing with my CSR setup. The pots in the pedals, and the solder points to them all just started to implode at once. I did a bunch of price comparison that might not be as relevant to you because you're more F1 centric, but I found that at the 1000 ($/E) pricepoint if you factor in an H shifter and ebrake desire then the Fanatec CSL actually comes in cheaper than e.g. the Thrustmaster and the Fanatec H shifter and ebrake are really good.

My one thing against fanatec is that their support is bad. Support ticket responses are slow and there's a push for return / service with all of the delays involved even in situations where it feels like any other company would replace ASAP with apologies. I've seen on forums where that's the approach with day 1 DOA equipment, or in my case where stuff broke a few days in. Having said that, if I were to do it again I'd probably buy the entry level Fanatec stuff over the higher end Thrustmaster / Logitech stuff.

K

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.3%