Compact Steering Wheel Concept

Tox Laximus

@Simberia
Clamps onto any desk and no need for pedals, combines accuracy of a wheel with ease of use of a controller for people who have limited space and want a better driving experience.

Has been submitted to logitech R&D, gotta wait for them to reply :p

WHEEL1.jpg
WHEEL2.jpg

Nice design! There is a deffinate need for a high quality, small, pedal-less unit like this. Apart from being great for those with limited space etc, it would be ideal for some disabled drivers too. Nice job!

Upvote 0
Raced with a compact (relatively) TM GP1 for years and really liked it. Manual shifting proved a coordination problem while trying to carefully modulate acceleration and/or braking. My best solution was to upshift with the left red button and downshift with the right red button. Not sure how to shift with your design.

Upvote 0
The idea was to use auto gears but there are other options, either add pedals and use the triggers to shift or add buttons on the front which are opposite the triggers, personally I wouldn't bother with shifting manually but on the other hand lots of people do and a couple of extra buttons on the front would be a equivalent of bumpers on a gaming controller and no big deal to add.

The design would be friendly to disabled gamers but the intention was for hassle free controller with all the accuracy of a very expensive setup and would deliver if this was made with decent components, and if this got of the drawing board it would be properly designed so that your hands are comfortably in contact with the control switches.

When I was yts course back in the late 80's one of my friends there was disabled and used hand controls in his car, one hand to steer and the other hand on a lever which when pulled accelerated and pushed to brake, this setup was just as good if not better than the traditional method of driving.

Upvote 0
This looks like a very good design, afew of my friends love to sim race but because they have small kids and hetic lives, they just dont have the time or room for a dedicated sim setup/cockpit etc so im sure something like this would be ideal for them.
I can see a hugh market for this, well done.

Upvote 0
Another thought: The GP1 came with a single axis for braking and acceleration (as you described your disabled friends setup). I modded mine to allow a split axis (brakes independent from gas) which was important, at least in the GPL days, for car stability under braking and faster lap times.

Upvote 0
thats a pretty neat idea, although I personally would add a couple of small paddles to the back, they could take the input slot of the other 2 shoulder buttons you would use on a standard 8btn pad.

Upvote 0
Very nice work there tox, like the sleek design of the steering wheel and also yeah it would help out disabled people a lot. Something I would change to it would be maybe adding gold buttons instead of silver, but it still looks great :p

Upvote 0
Gold is ok, I just thought making it shiny would get more attention from logitech (ooo shiny)

I hope they don't plastic everything up or at least use nice plastic :p

Going off logitecs G25/G27's, if you push that your idea should be on a par with the hardware they are made from, then they SHOULD, or would be stupid not to, manufacture your design with that brushed alu style with black handles...... .you never know :)

Good luck with it all anyways :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 99 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.0%