Community Question | Your First Sim Racing Wheel

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Us sim racers tend to quite like our toys... from rigs, to wheels, pedals, button boxes, VR headsets, apps, software, PC's and plenty of stuff in between.... and for those of us lucky enough to own a wheel, I'd love to know which one was your first...

Not everyone runs with a wheel and pedals, but of those of us that do, I'd like to know which one was your first, and what you thought of that hardware and how in impacted your experience playing racing games and simulations.

For my part, my very first wheel was the little white plastic Microsoft Xbox 360 wireless unit - I thought that was the absolute pinnacle of technology back in the day. Oh, how the hobby got serious after that!

Xbox Wheel.jpg

Although ownership of a racing wheel came late on for me, I also clearly remember playing IndyCar Racing over at my mates house using a really old, spring force PC wheel. That piece of kit brought the whole experience to an absolutely unthinkable level of immersion. The passage of time has dulled my memory of its name now, but suffice to say I was very, very envious of that bit of hardware...

Anyway, have fun reliving days gone by in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I hadn't done racing games for years, when I found LFS was like a 150mb free download back in 2008 or so.
But it was unplayable with keyboard and it was then when I started to search for a wheel. Logitech momo was almost the cheapest and so that was my first

View attachment 364452

Your black logitech momo is my second one and I still use it since many, many years until today. A few mates in the AC club section can tell you, that I'm nott too slow with it. Only downside is the very poor sensibility of the pedals, so I feel this hinders me sometimes from being closer to the top, when it comes to cars, which require very fine inputs to the brakes or under acceleration.

My first one was the Thrustmaster T2...

Upvote 0
Bought a Logitech G25 cheapo back in 2001 or something for around 120,- €´s.

1587296517585.png

Still going strong today and I am using it on a regular basis. Pedals gave up on me 2 years ago, replaced it with Fanatec´s CSP v3´s ... another great investment. But the G25 wheel is just indestructable, on some occasions I thought it has come to it´s final usage, but only to figure out that it wasn´t the wheels fault but bad FFB settings :confused:.
Couldn´t be more happier with the G25 through all these years :)

Upvote 0
I gamed on a pad for years, then I took the plunge and bought a driving force pro. I initially hated it, I was so much slower and have serious thought to returning it. However after sticking with it for a week I began to smash my lap times and it was plain sailing from that point on. Best £65 I ever spent probably, wheel lasted me about 12 years and never missed a beat. I now have a Logitech G27 which was a small step Up in terms of refinement but I’m aware it’s still classed as a basic wheel.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I gamed on a pad for years, then I took the plunge and bought a driving force pro. I initially hated it, I was so much slower and have serious thought to returning it. However after sticking with it for a week I began to smash my lap times and it was plain sailing from that point on. Best £65 I ever spent probably, wheel lasted me about 12 years and never missed a beat. I now have a Logitech G27 which was a small step Up in terms of refinement but I’m aware it’s still classed as a basic wheel.

When you have money for next upgrade, it should be load cell pedals. G27 is good enough, but LC pedals will give you massive gains.
Only downside of G27 is the size of rim. I don't have my own car, so after playing sims with G27 for months and sitting behind a wheel of a real car felt like driving a bus. 32-33cm rim would be perfect.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back