Community Question | Your Favourite Type of (Sim) Circuit

Circuits come in all shapes and sizes, from slow and twisty to fast and long - with some incredibly varied styles in between - but which type is your favourite?

Just like cars, tracks are very much a personal preference depending on the type of layout that suits your individual driving style. Drivers like Mark Webber always seemed to excel at the 'old school' layouts in Formula One, while conversely Felipe Massa never quite gelled with the twisty characteristics of Monaco (ironic seeing as he's in Formula E now..) - but which type of tracks suits you best? More importantly, what style do you enjoy the most?

Let us know your thoughts and opinions in the poll and comments section below - and if I've missed a style, don't forget to let us know!

View attachment 370326
76-99 varriant of Monza (inspite of 98 F1 apparently already having the unsightly chicane where variente del Rettifilo ) used to be, 2 variants of the track in the era but i am kinda unable to remember the 76 onwards varriant so i lump them together.

There are so many good tracks created now for Assetto Corsa for the different styles of racing which I like. So I am not tied to one particular track style. I like doing US Indycar which does Ovals(big and small), street, and road courses, so that covers allot of different style tracks they raced on over the past years.

I prefer what I would call 90's F1 tracks. So Imola, Suzuka, Spa, Monza. Basically anything that is a permanent track with a bit of history to it. Bathurst, Zolder etc all get a look in.

I would rather drive on historic tracks. Especially if they are narrow, twisty, and have a lot of elevation changes. For some reason though, I am a lot faster driver on temporary street circuits. I would like modern tracks better if they were all built similar to Blister Burg.

Since starting sim racing I can learn to like just about any track. anything I don't like about a track sort of becomes a challenge, because if I don't like it, it's often because I'm not doing well at it.

I personally seem to do well at tracks that have lots of turns and elevation changes. Tracks like Monza/Silverstone require so much accuracy that I find it hard to match good times.

When it comes to sim racing I think laser scanned tracks are best, they just seem to have extra details that just aren't in tracks that aren't laser scanned.

When it comes to driving road cars I much prefer driving on roads, like a back road you'd find in a country like Ireland or the UK, narrow, twisty and lots of up's and down. Road cars kind of suck on a race track.

Personally, I enjoy any track with elevation-changes.

Well exactly this is the point. In the past, the layouts were adapted to the topography. Today it is exactly the opposite, everything is perfectly flat. Tilke-Tracks, consisting of a series of known sections ... mostly without character.

My favorite circuits in any order (exept Top 3)

01. Clermont-Ferrand 1965 (Charade)
02. Clermont-Ferrand 1965 (Charade)
03. Clermont-Ferrand 1965 (Charade)

Crystal Palace
Warwick Farm
Oulton Park
Long Beach 79
Monza
Symmonds Plain
Surfers Paradise (the old one)
Silverstone (all older layouts, not the modern rubbish)
Bremgarten
IOM
Nemuno Ziedas
Brno (the old one)
Fuji Speedway 1968
Knockhill
Ledenon
The Glen
Linas Montlhery
Manfeild Park
Croft
Montjuic
NS
Riverside
Kyalami (the old one)
Elkhart Lake
Spa
Winton
Cadwell Park
Interlagos 1979

I like "organic" tracks, the ones that follows the terrain around it, that has grown, changed, has imperfections and signs of usage. Maybe a a strip of new tarmac in one corner, some of the old layout being seen in the background etc. If the terrain around it flat then the track should be flat, like Hockenheim or Anderstorp, and if the terrain is uneven and has lots of hills, so should the track, like Bathurst or Brands Hatch.

I like "classic" tracks (i.e. standard tracks which are often used in multiplayer) like Imola, Monza, Spa, Brands Hatch and Nürburgring GP for example.
But I also like special tracks like Anderstorp, Road Atlanta,, Bathurst or Bilsterberg.
And I'm fallen in love with tracks like Felbergring, Deutschlandring or the historic layouts of Monza and Spa.
And, of course, I love the Nordschleife.

So, it's really hard for me to pick one certain type of circuit ...
Often it's like that: I don't like a certain track until I drove a couple of laps and find some really nice touches like corners or a combo of corners which require a totally different approach.

Ok now I have to find that Guadalope track, looks interesting to drive and I like the atmosphere...any version you can recommend? I would really like to find a historic version of Long Beach in a modern sim (AMS1/AC and later)...everytime I see this video, I wish I could race there:

Zolder is another great one and thought about putting it on my list, but it's relatively new to me and I've bonded with the others a little more...otherwise I'd be listing all day, there are too many great tracks: VIR, Macau, Hockenheimring (old and new), Spa, Zandvoort, Twin Ring Motegi....I could go on and on.

All I know is it's a great time to be a sim racer :D

That's the tricky bit about Guadalope, there isn't a properly good version of it. The (almost) only version that exists is for rF1 and, while the layout is OK (with some bumpy issues) the environment is not realistic.

Then @philrob improved that version (also for rF1), which is the current best for Guadalope street circuit, and I think he's working on a further improved version for rF2 that I'm really looking forward to see when ready :)

For me it's a matter of the car AND track. I certainly would not get in a 67 Ferrari F1 car at Nurburgring sprint. As one example. I love many different tracks for specific reasons. A lovely tintop from the 60's at Goodwood always puts a smile on my face. But in general anything Fat-Alfie makes is fine with me in a lovely 60's Ferrari of any kind, race or street car. Bathurst is my new go to with most all cars. Next month I am getting into 70's Can Am cars so it may change again....and again.....and so on. This is why I love Assetto Corsa so much, the community is very active in keeping this sim moving forward.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 301 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 151 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.7%