Community Question | Your Favourite Shifting Method

It's a shame there is no option for "whatever is realistic as per the car". E.g. an old Group C car like the C9 has an h-pattern, early 2000's GT1 has sequential stick shift and GT3 have paddle shifts. So I don't have a favourite and automatic is never an option for me.

Having a Fanatec v1.5 shifter and advanced paddle module on my wheel, I’m set to use whatever the real car uses. But most of the time I’m in modern GT3 so using the flappy paddles.

I think the poll question if fine - I also play as realistic as possible and use what the car should have, but I seem to enjoy sequential stick shifter most, I just enjoy slamming the gears with that.

I voted H-shift with h/t because that's probably the most fun but there should be an option 'whatever is realistic for a car I drive' because I really don't have a clear favourite. Realism is my favourite method.

Last edited:
Personally I love use the H shifter, even if I'm so slow with it hahahha! Don't know, I can feel more the car than with 2 paddles. But obviously I use it only with the cars that originally have it

I use H pattern heel and toe whenever possible but I agree with many here that I choose whatever the real car would have. It's not a simulation if you use paddles on a classic GT, right ?

For sim racing it is clearly paddle shifting. I prefer to virtually race modern race cars.

If I would switch to older machinery I'd look into getting a clutch pedal and a good shifter.
I still have my TH8A, but I doubt it will go on my rig again.

I prefer to go with whatever the car is supposed to use. My favorite is sequential stick shift but that maybe down to riding motorcycles in the real world.

H-Pattern is probably my favourite experience. But as other have said drive with what the real car has.
Older sequential cars like the RSS GT pack without auto blip are also pretty fun to drive though

It depends on car or its category. Thanks to Content manager's developer i can use car-specific settings.
In general I love sequential, and use it for R5s, paddles for modern WRCs, H-shifter for GrA or grB cars, paddles for circuit racing, sequential for RX and for ETS2 too (semi-automatic mode)

I have to admit I feel more comfortable with paddle-shifting, but i really like clutch + H pattern manual when it's on the original car.

And also despite owning a Fanatec CS Shifter Sq - which is great btw (once repaired and upgraded to the latest version... ahah) - I rarely use the sequential even on GT2 cars or the Tatuus in AC for example...

I like the idea of using whatever the real world car has, But I don't have the skill to employ that many variables and still enjoy the thrill of the track/race.

Last time I had an H pattern shifter installed I barely used it, So I haven't incorporated one in this build, but I did price one up a couple of weeks ago.

I have always liked the GT1 cars of the beginning of the 2000s. They had sequentiël gearboxes back then and I use it a lot.
Always really liked the feeling of slaming the car in the next gear with a sequential shifter.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back