Community Question | Your Favourite Shifting Method

H-shifter, heel and toe for downshifting and left foot braking when not downshifting. Sounds complicated but once it becomes familiar the driving speed and pleasure increases a lot, especially with the more "savage" cars like the F40, Ruf Yellowbird and Shelby Cobra.

I use what the car has in real life. I mean it would be weird to use a h-pattern in a modern GT car and it would also be weird using the sequential shifter or paddles in a car from the 70s.

On modern cars I use a mix between paddles and sequential stick. I upshift with either the right paddle or the sequential stick and downshift with onlt the seq stick, the left paddle is used as a handbrake (I have the DFGT). In GT cars I use the paddle+stick, in rally I would use the stick for both up and downshifts, because the DFGT has small, wheel mounted paddles, it's sometimes difficult to find them, when you need to shift mid turn.

On the other hand H-shifter is more interesting to drive and it's even more satisfying since I made the shifter myself.And there's an added bonus of realism when you lose a gear in pratice and have to "rebuld your gearbox" (resolder the switch) just befor the race. I've had that happen a few times :D But I'm improving it and it's been working better lately

A2Y9fSX.jpg

This guy's building wooden gear shifters

What have you done lately?

:roflmao:

Seriously impressed, though :)

I prefer to use the method authentic to the real car. Sometimes though, it's harder to be competitive using this method (I'm looking at you heel and toe h-shifter). H-Shifters are the most satisfying to me. I feel like I'm driving the car .

Almost everything with heal&toe + H-shifts since my real life experience in a Formula 2000 Reynard SF-84, in year 2000.
Everything with heal&toe since January 2nd 2012 when I got my Logitech G27 with clutch pad, even my lawnmover and Moccamaster.
Joke aside :D I prefer authentic driving - so If the Scuderia Ferrari SpA 640 says semi-automatic, I go with this.
However, I just love heal&toe + H-shifts driving in cars dedicated to this, therefore racing most of my time in these cars.

Last edited:
Authentic shifting for realism then go and use virtual mirrors when real racing drivers say " I never saw him '"

All engines need to model it proper first, grinding trans, clutch slip
Would be better in a universal sim engine
For decades would like 2 versions of every sim
pro version every cars shifting method would be locked along with no aids and real mirrors :p
ama version you could do what you liked

Studios would sell more sims because some drivers would go from ama to pro :sneaky:
even pro drivers buying ama version to race with friend

All controls I owned with 12" feet is not good need to buy CSP, my TM's are too small

In my real cars I liked bare feet, wrap your toes over top of clutch pedal to rip it out faster :x3:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%