Community Question | Your Favourite Mod

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Hello again folks - another question for you!

As I'm sure the vast majority of us here well know, sim racing is lucky enough to benefit from a wide range of community created modifications. From new content the likes of cars and tracks, to weather addons, apps, overlays and pretty much everything in between.

Some of our beloved racing sims past and present offer support for the talented members of our community who mod, with modern simulations the likes of the original Assetto Corsa, Automobilista and rFactor 1&2 enjoying a tremendous amount of community support over the years.

Going back further in time, older games like Richard Burns Rally and NR2003 still enjoy a huge following today, thanks in large part to the work undertaken by the community to keep these games fresh and exciting many years after the developers moved on to new projects.

With such a wide variety of choice, seemingly expanding in size on a daily basis, we would love to know your favourite mods, and share suggestions with others who may have overlooked them first time around.

Happy chatting!

Fav mod.jpg

Fav mod 2.jpg

Last edited:
I may or may not be in a slim minority here, but mods aren't really on my radar in 2020. I don't have enough time to play the pay content I already own, let alone the time to go sifting through dozens of mods to find one or two that are up to pay content standards. Mid 2000s, early 2010s...sure. Without the work of modders during those days, we might not have sim racing as it exists today. But today with increasingly sophisticated physics and graphics engines, I think it's harder to find mods that hold up under close examination. Just my 2 cents. If you are a mod creator or a devotee of playing mods, don't let this old curmudgeon slow you down one bit, it's just not my thing. I know good mods are out there.

To actually answer the question though...I'll always have a soft spot for the WSC 1970 mod for rFactor. That was my first real online racing experience and, gawd, how I sucked! I still periodically fire it up just for nostalgia. It's also got a really cool intro movie set to the theme song from The Persuaders.

I also have to give a nod to both HistorX and Power & Glory, but calling those "mods" is almost an insult, because they are more like total conversions in terms of look/feel/scope.

IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 Ultrapack.

But for racing sims, anything people can mod for AMS2 and ACC will automatically become my favorite.

IL-2! Oh man, before the sim racing bug bit hard, I was an IL-2 junkie! Mission4Today...it was a gold mine! I was a big fan of custom campaigns, which were more like creative writing exercises than proper mods but, wow, the imaginations possessed by some of the creators - it was mind blowing! Some people would put them out in parts and you would be left on a cliffhanger like "but what's going to happen now!". On paper, it's hard to imagine the experience being particularly engaging - most of them were just stock content (planes, maps), spawn a few Messerschmitts over here and away you go - but the back stories really made it fun. Your wingman had too much to drink the night before, that kind of stuff. That would be cool to see a sim racing mod take on the same shape for offline experience.

Another vote for Power & Glory! A very large number of cars from two decades of sports car racing including historic skins, great physics (including a lot of work by a certain Aris), greats sounds, versions of the cars that cover unique performance differences from the teams and regions where they raced, text about the history of each car and driver(s), UI overhaul, track updates, and so much more that gives it an engrossing in-period feel similar to GPL
(Don't mind me, I'm just a fanboy for this old mod and wish we could look forward to a future game with similar historic focus)

SRS - Sim racing system for AC. Cant go back to a random pub server ever again. The racing is clean enough most of the time, always changing tracks and cars keeps it interesting. Competing in a scheduled series over the month totally changed my sim racing approach. Now I only drive to practice the upcoming tracks or cars for an SRS race. They keep track of overall points, leader boards, rankings for splits etc. 4 splits sometimes too so its growing in popularity and to top it all off I believe they will soon be running on ACC.

Too many outstanding work out there to choose from, cars and tracks mods for AC, it would not be fair to choose one.
The only one that is so enormous it changed my favorite SIM to something so immersive and so complete, made it into something that was said was not possible, it is mind boggling, we probably will never see anything like it ever again for any SIM, the one and only CUSTOM SHADER PATCH. Thank you @x4fab and the legion of amazing people working with him relentlessly at modding for our pleasure and entertainment.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 107 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 199 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 381 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 520 38.5%