Community Question | Win With Ease, Or Fight For Last?

One in six of the votes has gone to "win with ease" - that's far more than I expected.
On the rare occasions when I've won with ease, I simply haven't enjoyed it.
Probably depends how people define 'with ease'. If you win with ease, the opponents werent on top of their game and therefore there is no challenge. That would be boring indeed.

But if one is practicing, improving and on race day has a perfect day: Focus, concentration and therefore beating strong competition with quite a gap, then that is incredibly rewarding and fun, too.

I love clean battles, even more if its for a steong position.

Fight for last place with a somewhat level playing field sure. But fight for last place after a race of unfortunate events or mistakes, hell no.

Winning with a confortable margin is not always easy anyway. Managing the gap behind while still pushing, exploring where the limit of grip is and how it changes over time, dealing with back barkers... I think that is still fun and you still can learn so much so that you can be faster and fight with more ease next time you're in the pack.

Although I like a good fight and politically correctness tells me that fighting for last is ”right answer”, winning with ease may indicate several things: you got the skill, you got the right setup, you master the circuit, you got this. It may also indicate you are racing against the wrong crowd (sims without matching, racing category etc) and should ignite you to look for new challenges (and I bet no matter how good you are, there will be plenty out there).

I am still waiting for that day though...

“You either commit yourself as a professional racing driver that's designed to win races or you come second or you come third or fifth and I am not design to come third, fourth or fifth, I race to win” A. Senna

I love all those who really believe they'd rather come last if it means a fight :)

The question should have been to fight tooth and nail for a top 10 or something.
Who wants to fight that hard and get last place? Really? Just because you know you fought hard then last place is good?
I'd rather win with ease but if a fight came, to relish it. Besides you can't win with ease at every race no matter what.

One in six of the votes has gone to "win with ease" - that's far more than I expected.
On the rare occasions when I've won with ease, I simply haven't enjoyed it.

Maybe people have a varying definition of "with ease"? if you pull a 3s gap & have to fight a whole race to hold it & win, is that "with ease"? to an observer it might seem like it and to the P2 driver it'd be frustrating as hell, but in that P1 car it's far from easy...

I haven't voted, I'm not going to pick polarised options like that.

This is truly a simracer poll. No offense.
When I watch real race driver interviews they all seem to want to be at P1 after Qualifying, defend P1 at T1 and then control the race to the chequered flag.
Because winning gets you paid by the best teams. Not sure they care much for good fights mid pack when all they do is loose time to the front which is hard to make up again.
This is true, but I've also heard drivers talk about "their race" and "who they're racing against." There have been races where one of the McLaren drivers had a combination of qualifying really well and an opponent (usually Albon) not qualifying as well as he should. So they end up a bit out of place at the start. They usually concede a place after a few laps if they know that they can't sustain the pace on their tires.

I try to understand my limits. I know that in most online races I'm not going to be battling for a podium. I can remember one where I actually was near the leader for the first few laps, but I deliberately slowed myself down because I knew that even if I pushed my absolute hardest I probably wouldn't catch him and I'd more than likely spin and end up finishing way down in the order. I finished 2nd in that race and was very happy with that.

Perhaps that makes me a loser (first of the losers, right?). But I think that if more online racers understood their own abilities and tried to race according to them (while working to improve outside of the formal events), we'd all have better experiences. I suppose I learned this from running in road races. I know my pace for a 5k and it's foolish to try to keep up with the guys who show up wearing their university track uniforms.

I guarantee the poll result will be to fight for last, but in reality that's not the case. Ride 4 is an uncompromising game and there is no way to bypass the challenges. You're either going to win, win eventually or complain.
The Ride 4 threads are overflowing with complaints it's too difficult. It isn't by the way. Happily there is enough people who embraced the game for what it is.
Ride 4 is really the first very challenging motorcycle game, in MGP20 I win by 15 seconds on 120 AI, while here its harder to win even on 100 AI

Last edited:
This is true, but I've also heard drivers talk about "their race" and "who they're racing against." There have been races where one of the McLaren drivers had a combination of qualifying really well and an opponent (usually Albon) not qualifying as well as he should. So they end up a bit out of place at the start. They usually concede a place after a few laps if they know that they can't sustain the pace on their tires.

I try to understand my limits. I know that in most online races I'm not going to be battling for a podium. I can remember one where I actually was near the leader for the first few laps, but I deliberately slowed myself down because I knew that even if I pushed my absolute hardest I probably wouldn't catch him and I'd more than likely spin and end up finishing way down in the order. I finished 2nd in that race and was very happy with that.

Perhaps that makes me a loser (first of the losers, right?). But I think that if more online racers understood their own abilities and tried to race according to them (while working to improve outside of the formal events), we'd all have better experiences. I suppose I learned this from running in road races. I know my pace for a 5k and it's foolish to try to keep up with the guys who show up wearing their university track uniforms.
Ok, you're talking about F1 drivers. Yeah, you might be right. They seem to be the most self-centric lot.
Sorry I should've been more specific as I watch mostly customer racing, GTs and stuff.
Sometimes they just refer to their opponents as "the 88 Mercedes" or "the Land Audi" in interviews. I think there is less mano-a-mano rivalry there. In F1 it seems to hinge basically on that (at least this is what the press makes of it).

Couldn't agree more on the notion to understand ones limits. My aim in online leagues is to be Top 10, but I'd like to be Top 5. Works quite well so far. I had one good win in an enduro league race. As I am not used to winning such races against tough opposition I was really happy that day.
You know, If I gain places by others spinning out or if I have some 2-3 secs to the front and rear, I can still be happy with my race and am not immediately looking for my next close battle on track.
On that note I kind of stopped watching Jardiers YT channel because he was rambling on and on about close battles being the best and stuff. :roflmao:

All ever want from a race is for it to be clean. I love to come P1, but if I happen to come last having had a great battle, then I still get the post-race buzz. You all know that feeling when you cross the line and automatically shout YES !

Last edited:
Showing my age here....but in 1997 I think it was, the best ever AI race i ever had was in IndyCar Racing 2.

500 laps at Michigan, full damage, 100% as real as I could get it.

For the first 300 miles I was in the top 15 to 10.

Toward the end of the race, I got into the top 5 and raced Al Unser Jr to the end. Never got past him. Pitted when he pitted, tried as much as I could but finished about 5 seconds behind in 2nd.

I have not yet been in a 100% distance race as fun as that except GTR2 maybe.

Today it is all about graphics, frame rate and so on....but for me the real imersion is in how well the opposition work in AI.

I may try this again but in RF2 and the late 90s Indycars and of course Michigan.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing