Community Question | Win With Ease, Or Fight For Last?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
More questions for you all! I'd like to know your preference when racing online - are you someone that needs the big result, or do you prefer a hard fight lower down the order?

It's an obvious choice in real world professional motorsport - the whole aim of the game is to come out at the front of the pack by the chequered flag - but in online virtual motorsport, at least not in big Esport events anyway, the end result isn't always the end goal... or is it?

Are you a driver who takes all your pleasure from achieving the maximum result possible, or do you get your kicks from a good clean fight, even if it ends up well down the finishing order?

If you had to choose just one, which would it be? Win at a canter, or hard and fair fight for last place?

Let us know in the comments and poll!

Community Question Footer.jpg

Last edited:
Technically, wouldn't it be a fight for 2nd to last place? :whistling:

Honestly I'd be personally frustrated if, after all this time, last is the best I could do (assuming I practiced)...but overall, I'm happy fighting for whatever position I find myself in, as long as the battle is tough but fair.

I guarantee the poll result will be to fight for last, but in reality that's not the case. Ride 4 is an uncompromising game and there is no way to bypass the challenges. You're either going to win, win eventually or complain.
The Ride 4 threads are overflowing with complaints it's too difficult. It isn't by the way. Happily there is enough people who embraced the game for what it is.

You're either going to win, win eventually or complain.
For me it's races where people are actually racing hard that are remembered, even if a decent fight happens for the last position. For easy wins there's an alternative hotlap mode :p

Sure it's nice to win but I have no interest in playing the F1 game at Lewis difficulty ;)

Last edited:
Winning with ease holds no interest for me. A lot of times I can qualify in the top 5 on a server, some of those times I have found myself in the lead by a massive margin and after being in the lead for a few laps I get so bored I either quit or deliberately slow down so people can catch up. In GTR2 days I would intentionally DQ myself so I could start at the back, because its not the result I am after, it’s dicing with people door to door that I craved.

Setting hot laps can be fun at times, and I do plenty for practice. But when it comes to racing I think it has to involve competitors in close competition to be fun regardless of place. Said the guy who has less than a handful of races. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I just like to do my best, if my best means that I win, great.
Assuming the question is related to racing other human racers then that’s all I could hope for!
I don’t think there’s such a thing (for the majority of people) as an easy win, even if you find yourself with a “comfortable” lead there’s always the psychological battle with yourself in managing micro mistakes that could easily throw it all away...
The best battles are for position, no matter where in the field you find yourself.

If I'm racing online I'll I want is to have at least one other racer at my level that I can have a decent fight with trough the race, no matter if we're fighting at the front (very unlikely for me) or at the back. As long as I have someone to have a close race with I'm happy.

If I'm racing AI then I like to set the AI strength just enough for me to be able to keep pace with the rear end of the field. This forces me to improve and go above my usual times in order to try and get some positions.

Last edited:
I think for me, it would kind of depend on the type of racing I was doing. If it was just a random online drop in race with like 6 people and I won with ease...meh, not sure what (if anything) I'd take away from that. I would rather have had a fun battle for last in that situation.

On the other hand, in something more like a club setting where I know/respect the competitors, I could see an easy win being very gratifying.

Assuming all cars are the same, winning easily it's probably a consequence of a talented driver and lots of practice. Sometimes it might look "easy", but had lots of practice in the background.

You can have lots of fun not practicing much and fighting for last, of course. But assuming the overall goal of racing is winning, I'd rather win with ease than have amazing battles for last.

Racing is fighting, be that for first or last. It's not full-on racing if you aren't putting everything you have into the battle. Winning with ease isn't racing and I don't know about everyone else, but I live for racing, not driving away from everyone and having a lonely time. Go do a hotlap/hotstint if that's what you want.

As I get lapped by most racers, fighting tooth and nail for last is usually my MO :rolleyes::redface::roflmao::roflmao:...besides being last I can look ahead for all those great screenshots and other race shenanigans :roflmao::roflmao::rolleyes:

Last edited:
I definitely prefer fighting for position regardless of where I end up, although placing higher is always a good feeling.

Also, is that a picture of Race 07 at the bottom of the post? I'm pretty sure it is and you brought back some great memories of when I was first starting to get more serious about sim racing. Good times

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%