Alright when was that again.....?

I have been liking modern F1 less and less for the last 10 years, and 2020 is at the "top". The reason for that is that modern F1 is a mammoth solely interested in putting on a show to an ever increasing and younger audience in order to bring in more revenues for the holders. Sporting rules changing every year or two means that there's no backbone to it and global politics making their way into this sport - and any sport for that matter - is just disgusting. For the better part of the last 30 years F1 was never interested at really increasing competition and diversity (what in my book is called appeal), but has only succeeded in safekeeping the monopoly of the big teams, who have been swapping places at the top every few years. 2009 was the only season when an underdog (financially speaking) challenged and won the big prize in F1 in the last 15 years. Too little, too rare.

Last edited:
F1 racing is interesting until the point young spoiled brats dive bomb on senior drivers and they have to give away the place to avoid accidents!! Yes, I'm talking about Crashtappen and his wannabes!!!
In other words FIA is a joke

Because there are some great drivers, it shows off so many people's talents, but mainly because I love seeing all the tracks they go to around the world, especially places I haven't visited and aren't exactly in easy reach. I love the races outside of Europe much more than the races in Europe because they're more exotic and exciting, location-wise. If 2020 ends up being mostly or exclusively European, I will be more upset than I ever could be about a boring, one-sided season.
Hot take: I would take a season of new tracks in other countries that haven't hosted a Grand Prix yet, like Vietnam would be, but on tracks with little overtaking, over a calendar that goes to good tracks that are exclusively in Europe.

No real emotions, only PR talking, although Max and few others try to give genuine feel. Cars taken care of from pit-wall, leading to no reliability issues and impossible freak results (except maybe, just maybe rain or top3-4 mutual crash). Politics influenced winning x1000, compared to just 10-20 years ago. Extremely long cars, too much for having racing on existing tracks.

F1 racing is interesting until the point young spoiled brats dive bomb on senior drivers and they have to give away the place to avoid accidents!! Yes, I'm talking about Crashtappen and his wannabes!!!
In other words FIA is a joke

maybe.. you are a joke that you try to push your opinion every time. We know it! @crASH stappen & and the young wants. maybe you just grow old :whistling: ;)

It sucks that we have had 7 years of Mercedes dominance. Really boring really. Not even under the Schumacher/Ferrari years we have had this dominace.
Hopefully, 2022 will be a new start.

unless of course the schumi years bored you to stop watching and you’re a Hamilton fan?

Earliest memories of racing are Hunt & Lauda - to be honest there haven't ever been that many great races in comparison to the sum of them, but I lost interest in the 90s & definitely in the Schumacher/Ferrari combo period. Been the odd race since then that caught my fancy ( I'm very glad I watched Montreal 2011! ) but honestly since the explosion of broadcasting of other racing series ( and the personal broadcasting of more than a few drivers ), I just don't bother with F1 anymore. Originally it was more or less the only thing you could watch without being at a track so of course I paid attention.

Technically once upon a time it was cutting edge, but as with all racing now engineering has overtaken the limits organisers wish to place on series, so it doesn't even really have that anymore.

I follow F1 since 1975, the first time Niki Lauda became World Champion in a Ferrari. I've seen almost all F1 GP's broadcasted on Dutch TV since then and sometimes I go visit a Grand Prix, mostly at Spa.

I find F1 interesting for a number of reasons:
It is suppose to be the fastest racing series, the top of them all.
It is a special world, with everything from the real world; hero's, winners, losers, commercial things, politics, cheating, fights, rumors and everything else you can think of.
There are boring races, but there is also action, great fights, great overtaking and so on. And yes, F1 is not perfect, but what else is? And I have seen kart races on lower classes which were much more exciting to watch than the average F1 GP, but this has not change my interest in F1 at all.

I think sports car racing and Indycar provide much better entertainment. I can appreciate the extremely high level that F1 operates at, but it's often much more interesting to read about the technical developments and drama than it is to sit down and watch the on track product.

The cars are way too big too. Go back to an early 2000s footprint and leave the current boats behind.

Lastly, most of the new tracks have been soul-less and boring. It pains me everytime a real track with a rich F1 history is left off the calendar, or threatened to pay more money.

This could be pretty cool. The old IROC series was a really neat concept and I could see this morphing into something similar.

I do not find modern F1 interesting,
I used to watch all races, even attend the race in Montreal every year, until about 10 years ago, but as it stands today, even though I am a big Mercedes fan, only drove MB since 1995, but F1, no thank you, totally lost interest.

I went with the "ok" answer. My thoughts on this topic have evolved a lot. I watch every race, keep up on off season news to a degree, and also watch a fair number of retro races. I would describe myself a reasonably committed fan who has an appreciation for the history of F1 as well as a relatively nuanced understanding of what makes F1 very unique within the context of the wider motorsport world.

F1 as it stands today is still capable of delivering top notch entertainment at times. In the big picture, I think there are some very serious issues that are causing the championship to become increasingly predictable. I did an analysis a while back that broke down, by decade, how many times the WDC was a different driver than the previous year. The numbers were striking, it's a pattern for sure and, I believe, at the heart of a lot of the angst you see swirling around the sport in recent years. "Boat race" championships with one team and/or driver(s) running away with the championship have always been part of F1, but the data shows that the extent to which those "boat races" have increasingly managed to extend across multiple seasons is something new over the last 20 years.

I am in support of fixing the aero situation (bring back ground effects, thus lessening the dependence on the turbulence-producing "top side" aero bits), but I really don't think the in-race action is the primary problem facing the sport. The primary problem is the extent to which teams are no longer able to close gaps from year to year and bring the championship back into contention. I'm not smart enough to make prescriptions for how to fix that, but I have no doubt something has to be done.

It will be tricky, but I am confident actions can be taken to bring competitiveness back. My sincere hope is that the powers that be take care to listen to the core F1 fanbase and not be tempted to listen to complaints/suggestions from people who, frankly, really need to find a different series to follow. For example, if you don't like off-track politics...I 100% respect your right to hold that opinion, but you also need to acknowledge the fact that F1 has lived off of a steady diet of "off-track politics" since 1950. I would also throw "not enough passing" in that same category. If you want to see a bunch of passes, there are a lot of series that provide that. If you want to see it in F1, your best bet is a YouTube compilation because, as a general rule, F1 has never been a type of motorsport that has produced lots of passing.

Just my 2 cents. I'll keep watching in the meantime.

Yes i do find it entertaining, there are bugs that should be ironed out but its not like codemasters where you just make a patch to sort it out. It is my favorite sport of all and i am happy we are racing. I really missed it from March to June. Having it taken away like that makes you realise how much it means to you. I hope we do not have any problems with the virus and can put together something that is a 10-20 event season. I really want this virus to be gone and miss the events that we had to loose. The strangest season i have ever seen in 20 years of following the sport.

I have been watching F1 since 1998s, and I still take the same enjoyment of out it when I watch a 2020 race. Yes the rules and regulations are changed, but we still have the best drivers in the world, the most advanced racing machines and great battles on/off track. F1's rich presence with huge amount of multimedia is cherry on the cake. In the past, there was no way to listen to pit-radio, watch highlights whenever you want or see things from other angles. I guess some people are just happy to whine and be nostalgic.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 117 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 93 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 87 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 60 6.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 125 13.7%