Do you like modern F1?

• Yes

Votes: 244 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 123 20.7%
  • Its ok, not as great as it could be, but better than answering 'no'

Votes: 228 38.3%

• Total voters

Community Question | Why Do You Find F1 Interesting?

F1 fan? I want to ask you something if you are (also interested to know why if you aren't a fan).

It's community question time again, and this one is around the current generation of Formula One racing, and why you do (or don't) find the sport interesting in recent years.

I've been a Grand Prix racing fan since the very, very early 1990's and the sport has changed greatly in that period. Technology moves at a great pace, nowhere more so than in Formula One, and with the changing years has brought a vastly changing sport.

I'm something of an aficionado for racing, and have consumed much information and footage from motorsport well before my time on the Earth, and as such, frankly, the current Formula One leaves me a little cold.

So, my question to you all is:

Do you find modern F1 interesting, and why. If you don't enjoy the sport nowadays, why?

Let us know your thoughts and opinions in the comments section below!

F1 question footer.jpg

Last edited:
RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief, occasional YouTuber, commentator and broadcaster, with a passion for motorsport on both the real and virtual racetrack.
Reactions: drws

Dave Thayer

250RPM
Premium
Mar 31, 2018
I just find Modern F1 racing fascinating and a very high risk auto sport at the speeds those drivers obtain. Also how fast
they can get in and out of the pits during a fuel stop. The start of the races are the most risky part of the race heading down
to that first turn. Even though I am an Indycar fan, I also like watching the F1 races.

Overnight76

10RPM
Aug 15, 2013
For me F1 is like history. Since I was born I watch F1. I've seen Lauda, Prost and Senna. I've watched the Prost win at Monaco with Senna doing a superb race with the Toleman car, I've watched his first F1 GP win in Estoril, I've seen the fights with Prost, so good memories. I've seen Senna crashing and dying and tears coming to me. I've seen Schumacker dominance..man... so many things! It's impossible to not be a F1 fan.

This sport runs in my blood, I'm 44 now and I still count the days for the next F1 race.

kptnv

10RPM
Premium
Jan 19, 2019
I like the engineering and design part of it. It's a pitty cars are so boxed into looking so similar nowadays. I remember when the Ferrari F2001 was presented and I found it so fascinating how different it looked than the 2000 season car as an example.

Also Kimi.

schlitty

100RPM
Mar 2, 2016
You can complain about the quality of a race or something like engine noises all you want; But each F1 driver, engineer, and team member is operating out closest to 'the edge' as you can get. Every season, every race weekend. And that is always fascinating.

FinFan

250RPM
Apr 21, 2017
I watched the two races this year more out of curiosity then real interest. Haven`t watched a race before in possibly 10-15 years.

The racing isn't any worse then in many other series. I don't like all the gimmicky technical stuff like DRS. I'd prefer hands on racing with simpler cars , not those growing out wings and winglets all over the car like smallpox. I am not a fan of any driver. Back then I liked the Rosbergs, Mansells, Villeneuves kind of guys. Todays drivers are too plain, which can be said for most series. They are schooled to represent their teams and sponsors.

It's also too political and the moment one team comes up with an advantage all the others protest. I remember McLaren winning 15 out of 16 (?) and it wasn't boring at all.

I grew up with F1 in the 80s and liked the more simpler times. But I admit there is a lot of nostalgia imvolved.

David Mann

75RPM
Oct 15, 2017
I like the engineering and design part of it. It's a pitty cars are so boxed into looking so similar nowadays. I remember when the Ferrari F2001 was presented and I found it so fascinating how different it looked than the 2000 season car as an example.

Also Kimi.
F1 has good and bad parts for me. The speed, technology, and drivers/characters are good. On the bad side, there are too many rules, and the sport has gotten to be too politically correct. Unfortunately for me, the bad stuff makes the sport boring and a bit repulsive.

The rules I don't like include things like banning refueling, forcing teams to use different tire compounds, the qualifying minigame, DRS, and overly restrictive car design rules. I like dynamics and variety that emerge from simplicity rather than rules that try to force complexity, but usually end up leading to the same single solution for everybody.

Loren Thomas

25RPM
Nov 25, 2015
I voted no - the last year I'd say I really liked it was 2002. After that the gimmicks started. I know plenty of series have gimmicks now, but F1 has way more and worse ones than most. DRS is obviously the most egregious, how something like that can be in a so-called World Championship is an absolute joke.

May 27, 2020
You can complain about the quality of a race or something like engine noises all you want; But each F1 driver, engineer, and team member is operating out closest to 'the edge' as you can get. Every season, every race weekend. And that is always fascinating.
The weakness of F1 (to me) is that that's true for a lot of motorsports - even for those classes where the world champion isn't already obvious before the start of the first race. If I'm wrong this year then yes, I'll say I've missed a season:)
F1 stopped to be interesting to me when I realized that it's too much about the cars (and worse: the budget) and too little about the driver.

May 27, 2020
I voted no - the last year I'd say I really liked it was 2002. After that the gimmicks started. I know plenty of series have gimmicks now, but F1 has way more and worse ones than most. DRS is obviously the most egregious, how something like that can be in a so-called World Championship is an absolute joke.
Well, I can imagine worse "gimmicks". What I would not have imagined is the "Fan Boost" of Formula E. When I saw this first I thought "Bloody Hell, is that supposed to be Racing or Democracy?"
DRS is desperately needed to have at least SOME overtaking.

GranDoxin

1RPM
Oct 12, 2013
I have been watching F1 since 1992. Today there is less intrigue in racing than it was then, and I do not like it. Only rain sometimes mixes cards, and we get Germany 2019 ...
In the 90s, there were much more frequent situations where someone of the middle management could win. Because driving car was more difficult, and the drivers were more often mistaken, which led to the descent from the distance. Because everything that they were capable of was squeezed out of the cars, and therefore sometimes crossed the line, and the equipment failed. Motors burned like candles! In a rare race, everyone reached the finish line. And often the leaders went out of the race. It was a great chance for the others.
Today there is practically no such chance. Pilots do not go at full strength - they save engines and tyres.
If you look at the statistics of past years, and modern (approximately from the beginning of the 2000s), you will see that each pilot out of race of about 4-6 times in a season of 16 races.
Today for top comands it is 1-2 times out of 22 races. Thus, the podium is almost always occupied by top teams, and the rest have no chance.
In the younger series, there is an inverted starting grid that allows you to create more intrigue. In F1 there are no such rules. Previously, they were replaced by an accident factor, which from time to time removed each pilot from the game. This added emotion, made worry more, and did race more interesting. It doesn't work anymore.

I also do not like the external changes in recent years, starting in 2009 Then when steps appeared, and then ugly "noses", sound of motors now like a meat grinder...
And now Formula 1 turned into a political rostrum - this is the most disgusting thing that has happened with F1 in all of history!
Therefore, the modern formula 1 for me is a disappointment. I miss the times when tobacco ads were put on the car, not political slogans. It was more honest.

May 27, 2020
I have been watching F1 since 1992. Today there is less intrigue in racing than it was then, and I do not like it. Only rain sometimes mixes cards, and we get Germany 2019 ...
In the 90s, there were much more frequent situations where someone of the middle management could win. Because driving car was more difficult, and the drivers were more often mistaken, which led to the descent from the distance. Because everything that they were capable of was squeezed out of the cars, and therefore sometimes crossed the line, and the equipment failed. Motors burned like candles! In a rare race, everyone reached the finish line. And often the leaders went out of the race. It was a great chance for the others.
Today there is practically no such chance. Pilots do not go at full strength - they save engines and tyres.
If you look at the statistics of past years, and modern (approximately from the beginning of the 2000s), you will see that each pilot out of race of about 4-6 times in a season of 16 races.
Today for top comands it is 1-2 times out of 22 races. Thus, the podium is almost always occupied by top teams, and the rest have no chance.
In the younger series, there is an inverted starting grid that allows you to create more intrigue. In F1 there are no such rules. Previously, they were replaced by an accident factor, which from time to time removed each pilot from the game. This added emotion, made worry more, and did race more interesting. It doesn't work anymore.

I also do not like the external changes in recent years, starting in 2009 Then when steps appeared, and then ugly "noses", sound of motors now like a meat grinder...
And now Formula 1 turned into a political rostrum - this is the most disgusting thing that has happened with F1 in all of history!
Therefore, the modern formula 1 for me is a disappointment. I miss the times when tobacco ads were put on the car, not political slogans. It was more honest.
Could be my age but what we see here seem to be the harmless symptoms of changing times.

cangrejin

100RPM
Jun 6, 2018
My first F1 race was the one won by Damon Hill in his Suzuka 96 ', in which he was champion.
I was lucky :rolleyes:enough to see the entire fight between Schumacher and Hakkinen. I think the best year of that golden era was the 2000 season.
then the f1 "fell", in the years 2002-2008. it declined even more in the years 2009-2015. (my vision). the cars were thin and "scrawled."
now they look much better and more "competitive".

01 Australian Grand Prix Australia Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit, Melbourne 00.jpg
16 Japanese Grand Prix Japan Suzuka Circuit, Suzuka gz8Wqap.jpg