Community Question | Who Here Uses A Dedicated 'Sim Rig'?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim racing setups come in all different shapes and sizes - what's yours?

An individuals' sim racing circumstances are all very different to each other, from those who have the space for a dedicated setup, to those of us who need to keep things mobile in order to fit around our everyday lifestyles.

Fortunately, the massive array of different sim racing hardware (or lack thereof) solutions within the marketplace mean most sim racers can find a setup that works for them - from heavy duty to low maintenance - what's yours?

Do you have a permanent dedicated rig? Do you use a foldaway solution or play on the controller in front of the TV? Let us know and share your own little virtual racing space!

Rig Footer.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a home built rig, and it looks like it.

Just recently moved it out of the car shed into our main living room. Wife is pretty damn impressed I must say. I even got it stuck in the door and had to take a saw to it to get it through.

Wife: Why are you bringing all that gear into the house
Me: Too much money invested in it to leave it in the garage
Wife:Uh....How much money have you invested in it?
Me:oh.....I...uh....Won it in a raffle....

I've got a home built rig, and it looks like it.

Just recently moved it out of the car shed into our main living room. Wife is pretty damn impressed I must say. I even got it stuck in the door and had to take a saw to it to get it through.

Wife: Why are you bringing all that gear into the house
Me: Too much money invested in it to leave it in the garage
Wife:Uh....How much money have you invested in it?
Me:oh.....I...uh....Won it in a raffle....
I love you honey but don't make me choose between you and the rig.

Hi,
Can someone please tell me the right alu profile measures to mount the heusinkveld shifter like in the beautiful rig of the opening page of the poll ?
Thank you very much !

I don't have the room for a permanent rig, so I used a fold-away Playseat Challenge combined with VR. It's a decent bit of kit for it's budget price, and although the frame is relatively thin and tubular, in a way this a good thing. It means that when my T300 vibrates over curbs or large bumps, I can actually feel it through the "car"! :p Could never go back to desk-mounted racing now.

I have a Playseat Challenge so technically it is foldaway-moveable but I haven't moved it since I set it up 3 years ago so to me it's permanent :D I am also thinking of getting a Next Level F-GT as it looks easier to get in it as my right shoulder is sometimes crying when getting in my rig because of my arms supporting me as I open it and get in it. I'm 5'6 and for me once in the seat it is very comfortable, fits like a glove. So I recommend it to anyone looking:thumbsup:
IrtCsm5.jpg

I'm confused - on one side of the wheelbase you have the Thrustmaster sticker and the other its a Fanatec - a ThrustTec or an unheard of FanMaster wheel? :D

On a more serious note; how are you finding the SHH shifter?

For the price it's ok, but in H mode I keep missing/getting stuck between 4/5/6, when shifting more agressively. So to go between 5 and six need to be more careful.

I would like to try a dedicated sim construct, but space doesn't permit it. I was hesitant to buy a DD wheel because of all of the horror stories about torque/stability when you attach it to a desk. It depends on the desk. Do what I did, put a nice, heavy pc on the desk and end of story. The Podium DD2 works well. The seat was an issue because of wood floors, but removing the wheel, putting cups in their place and then using piano foot holders solved that problem.

Now all I need is the new 4k,32", 144hz monitors due out next year and one of the vaporware video cards from Nvidia or AMD.

20190907_143433.jpg
20201122_080151.jpg

Last edited:
I'm running my own, cheapskate wood design. The screens are the cheapest AOC makes in 144hz, but they do have both height and tilt adjustment, both nessecary to line them up proper. The wood cost my something like £50 + a new saw for £10. Its my first homemade rig which shows, but if I ever make another one I'll have the experience of this one to go by. The chair is an Ikea Poang bought used for £15 and modded with simple scrapwood I had laying around to make it ridig. On my wishlist is a new wheel and pedals. Not featured is my phone with Simdashboard installed, its mounted on the wheelbase in between the wheel cutout.

thumbnail_20201122_150052.jpg

thumbnail_20201122_150101.jpg

thumbnail_20201122_150116.jpg

Logitech G29 strapped to an Ironing Board onto a 40-inch TV.

Cannot recommend this setup higher as a budget sim-rig. An Ironing board is perfectly designed to have loads of space either side for a mouse, keyboard and remote controls for the TV; have space underneath for your legs to go between the legs for the pedals AND MOST IMPORTANTLY; the height of the board is minutely adjustable for any height.

As long as you have something solid to wedge either of the legs behind to combat the movement you might cause to the board, it is absolutely fantastic and cannot be bettered at a low price.

my little room :)
Rig: SimLab P1-X
Wheelbase: Fanatec DD2 with the Podium Steering wheel Porsche 911 GT3
Pedals: Heuskinkveld Sprint (2 pedals)
Handbrake/SQ shifter still from Thrustmaster
Seat: Sparco Circuit II ,let it wrapped in the mclaren MP4/4 decals
Triple monitor : LG 32" 1440p 144hz screens

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 799
  • 3.jpg