Community Question | What Do You Like The Most About Sim Racing?

Personally I like learning new things and developing new skills. Like military aviation I’d never get the chance to do it in real life.

It also gives you an insight into a subject you don’t get by watching on TV. Active participation rather than passive.

It’s a very different perspective actually turning a lap on your favourite track in a variety of different cars (the characteristics of a Porsche differs greatly to an MX-5 and such), or knowing how to get an F-14 onto a carrier deck at night in thick fog and the skills required.

It’s the sense of accomplishment I love when your hard work and research pays off. Love it.

Simracers

It's always funny to watch an elitism play an arcade racing game & claim it's easy, but can't turn off the driving assist in them.

Assist actually was introduced in Simracing & Arcade racing games never had them. Just imagine if never mario kart had them & avoid the car to have liftoff over steer.

This is a tougher question than the series one because the essence of what is good and fun is hard to pin down.

AMS2 is not fun, its too bare bones but the driving of some of the cars is highly enjoyable and others it's awful. I think to an extent high simulation fidelity and physical representation and that coming across well in the force feedback is one aspect of enjoyment that matters to me, the more it behaves like a car and real tires and gives that sense of on the edge the better. That isn't about accurate FFB either, I am firmly in the camp of allow me to add in the extras like G force feel so I have the information I need.

F1 2020 is fun because it's out of race experience is fantastic for a career. But it also really nails the race dynamics too, you get to drive close to and overtake cars and that produces exhilarating races right to the end on a regular basis, probably due to its tire degradation and ERS/DRS simulation.

My ideal game for max enjoyment lies somewhere between AC like physics and FFB options and F1 2020's career combined with iRacings multiplayer but without the subscription and servers hosted by different people and communities (so probably scheduler hosted centrally so we can still do pickup races but also schedule them weeks or a month in advance and sign up with safety and pace ratings). I get enjoyment out of good single-player experiences and good multiplayer ones on decent simulation and especially good FFB.

Just the driving really. "Experiencing" the car, how it sounds, what it feels like (through the FFB at least), how it reacts in certain situations. Finding the limit and going over it just a bit as to not fly off into the forest. Feeling the tyres becoming overwhelmed and trying to balance the car through a corner anyways.

For me, the most exciting thing about Sim Racing is the Competition. Having very close races, side by side fights like in real life. The infinit combinations of different cars and tracks without having trouble of the financial side. Multiclass racing with different levels of performance. Daring maneuvers that sometimes go wrong. That is what I love about sim racing. Especially the GT4 and Clubsport cars that not only have downforce but also slide and can go on bumpy curbs. Somethings I would like to see more advanced are damage and contact sport. Safety ratings are important but to strict sometimes.

The ability to keep my eye/hand coordination sharp. Physically playing sports to do this gets difficult as I get older. Sim racing lets me hone my reaction time without taking the beating other sports require. That in turn has improved my real driving as I see situations before things have a chance to go south.

It allows me to experience auto racing without spending the huge amount of money that I spent in my youth racing real cars. Its one of the reasons I always laugh when people talk about racing sim software, and dlc being too expensive. I spent more on food during one race weekend than most sim racing software costs.

Making new friends and building connections with the people I'm racing with. That's why I much prefer clubs and leagues with a stable-ish membership, rather than things like SRS where most people come and go from race to race.

In AC club we have a lot of old timers who are still around and all know each other pretty well: me, @Medilloni, @Craig Dunkley, @Aksu, @Raresch, @HF2000, @Spilskinanka, @Enzo Fazzi, @Celtic Pharaoh, @640er, and probably more I'm forgetting -- sharing tips, racing together, and generally chatting has definitely been a huge part of what keeps me sim racing. Some of us even now are friends off-RD.

The amount we talk week after week about car setup, driving style, and about daily life really is one of the highlights of the week for me, and especially in lockdown I've found it really helps lift me out of the day-to-day slog. We also push each other to work harder and be better, I know that @erazerr7 and @Aksu especially always push me to work harder to improve myself, knowing that they are doing the same. That kind of shared respect and hard work always leads to people bonding.

So I guess for me it's all about the people. Having fun is the most important thing, and everything else is secondary.

Last edited:
I just like driving. In simracing I get to drive all those cars I'll never get to drive in real life. On all those tracks I never get to visit. Let alone drive or race. Pushing the car to its limit, going sometimes over, nailing a corner, missing an apex and trying to salvage it without losing tons of time, getting a perfect corner exit, mastering a car to some degree after initially struggling with it, putting effort into hitting those apexes, sometimes even doing some dirty hotlapping. It is the dynamics of it all. In a car that is fun to drive it still requires constant attention but also gives constant rewards. There are mini pauses on straights and mini stress moments in some trickier corners. There is a very high skill ceiling and while trying to improve is not always fun in that exact moment it is always satisfying in the end.

It is also challenging. I've never considered hardcore simulators hard to drive. To me they always felt intuitive. Smooth inputs and the cars rarely snap out unpredictably. Of course there are sims that do so but I find those less enjoyable. I like a challenge but if the difference between a spin and save is as much of a dice roll than skill then I'd rather play something else. Of course there is a frustration aspect to it. Spinning out or getting wrecked, turn 1 and those other things do sometimes make it less fun but those are just momentary.

Racing online makes it even better. You have the competition aspect to it even if it is just a relatively meaningless random public server. I'd say even a bad sim is fun to play with other people. Bad cars and bad tracks as well. You have to drive well and in addition to that you have the defending and attacking while also trying to improve even when the race is going. There are accident avoidance skills, situational awareness and being able to predict cars and opportunities even when you can't see them. Read the body language of other drivers and give them more or less space or just wait until they take themselves out.

Sometimes you don't even need a door to door battle through the race to be exciting. Sometimes all it takes is to follow a faster car trying to just hold on. Even if it is just slipstream it does make you feel good. Other times you are in front holding up faster guys. Being able to do it cleanly is just incredibly fun. When I started sim racing I did not much like being in front as I did not have any of those defensive skills. And not the overtaking skills either. But nowadays I really cherish that challenge. There are so many little tricks and maneuvers that you can do that also present you the choise between slowing down to defend or go faster but leave yourself open. When it is 3 or 4 cars battling instead of 2 is just even more fun. It truly is like 3d chess at times and being outsmarted is sometimes just as fun as being the smarter. To make an another analogy to me sim driving is like playing football when you have the ball all through the match.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back