Community Question | Wet or Dry?

Wet is fun. Especially transision from dry to full thunderstorm. AMS2 and it's weather progression is brilliant. I really enjoy wet weather in ACC but sadly most of lobbies go empty when rain starts. I really dislike transision from wet to dry however, but this is just because of my lack of skill.

Wet surfaces have always been my weakness, it always seems to prevent me from slowing down before a corner and there will be situations where i'm pretty much blinded by mist.

I still try to overcome it though.

I think most people like the idea of driving in the rain/wet more than the reality of driving in the rain/wet. I like the strategic implications of variable weather but there isn't a sim yet that comes even close to accurately simulating driving in the rain/wet.

Good memories of how wet weather was simulated in F1 Challenge 99-02, racing with nothing but grey spray to see is white knuckle fun and good test of how well you know the tracks. Had one race at Hungaroring that started wet , dried out and then it rained again till the end. I dont like wet races though if the AI becomes too slow or dodgy though.

Theres still some areas sims today need to catch up with sims 20 years ago, the wet weather in F1 challenge 99-02 was random and realistic, and the AI didnt lose a step in it and was on top of tire changes if it became too wet or too dry . The fact that your crew chief called out when rivals were pitting clued you in on how the changing conditions were being handled by others.

Last edited:
Both.

My answer goes directly to the question formulated on the title, and only to the question formulated on the title.

Sorry to put it this way, but this kind of questions is shameful and somewhat shows how little sim racing evolved as a game and genre in favor of put all the effort onto glofiried physics that, with some investigations and using wayback machine with PRC, you conclude that these fail as well.

Something like wet weather should be standard for every sim-racing product since Grand Prix 3 brung it in 1998.

This, and an option to search in multiplayer for races according to a predefined weather game setting would do the job.

A little example: [All, Changing, Dry, Overcast, Wet, Monsoon]

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 963434

i hate this approach "wet is better cause its harder", makes me this all sim racing means "harder the better" then we have sims which driving is just too hard compared to real life, and even real life racers tell that , and developers deliberately make sims harder than real life cause if they make just like real life simracers tell "this game arcade shieet" and theyre gone

I'm not sure the answers are worded too well. I mean, I can't imagine many people would just bail if it starts raining in the middle of a race, so the first option is clearly going to get more votes than any other. I think it would have been more interesting to find out how likely people are to sign up to a race they know will involve rain before it even starts.

Last edited:
I do mostly SP and Ai has not been great on wet tracks and also it generally looks arguably worse as rain on windscreens looks poor in most games so I generally just race in the dry, but if I just drive hotlaping or MP and rain it's fine other than it looks poor. I race/drive to immerse me into the car and if it looks bad then I'm not as enthusiastic, we are spoilt by modern Sims with great FFB and physics so the visual side is the let down for me. AMS2 and ACC look good for the most part but rain isn't believable imo.

Last edited:
Ideally, I'd love to race with dynamic track conditions - it really does add to the immersiveness and the decision making in the longer races keeps your head in the game.
Sadly my only experience in the rain has been with PC and PC2 and while it looked pretty, it was nothing short of a nightmare in both, even with the most forgiving of cars. ACC has made it definitely more enjoyable, can't wait for proper rain to come to AC though.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing