Community Question | Strangest Bug You Have Seen In Sim Racing?

u09cJoE.jpg

F1 2012,invisible ramp.

Red light at pit exit without possibility of repairing damages (stopping at the right place did nothing except removing the red rectangle) in rFactor 2 during a french endurance league's 12h of Le Mans. :mad: Did 4 laps of the track with a wheel at 45° on the right and a lot of aero damages on my Porsche 911 RSR before giving up because we couldn't change drivers neither and each time I exited the pits, admins had to remove the DT... :roflmao:
And also, during that same race, I was disconnected 2 times and when I rejoined, my car spawned either in the middle of Ford chicane or pit straight... :whistling:
First endurance race I did on rF2, a fiasco because of this bug... It was a week before Le Mans Virtual.

In certain rf2 cars if you land too hard from a jump, you crash into the wall too hard or crash in a weird angle, the tyres freak out and the game freezes. I had this happen to me once in a league where i was clipped by sb whilst he was trying to renter the track and there was another guy close behind me, who couldn't avoid me and crashed into me. That crash made me hit the person who was rentering in such a way that it triggred the bug. And so my game froze, i apparently had -2000000+ tyre temperature, was going at 1375 km/h and dnf because i run out of fuel. gg rf2

Not really a bug but... Usually the ai does some pretty incredibly stupid things when a bunch of them has a crash and they bunch up in that part of the track. Pit entry is very dramatic if things happen the right way. Also sometimes the ai can save a car really well:

I also remember nkpro in one version had monoshock front suspension but no roll limits. So basically the whole car could roll over on its front axle if you made the front arb too low.

Last edited:
The WRC 8 Podium glitch is pretty funny

There was also an issue with the 1st esports event on that engine, where one of the drivers fell off the map during a live competition, but I can't seem to find any footage. They were able to resolve the issue by giving the drive an averaged time between drivers for that track and I don't think it had any significant impact on the final results.

Not really a bug but... Usually the ai does some pretty incredibly stupid things when a bunch of them has a crash and they bunch up in that part of the track. Pit entry is very dramatic if things happen the right way. Also sometimes the ai can save a car really well:

I also remember nkpro in one version had monoshock front suspension but no roll limits. So basically the whole car could roll over on its front axle if you made the front arb too low.
AI = Artificial Ineptitude?

How about the moon-launches in iRacing?

In any physics model which uses discrete stepping rather than continuous calculations, there is very real chance the sample rate is too large to allow for rapid changes in the modeled world. This is why we see these kinds of glitches. The solution is to either change the basis of the modelling to use continuous functions (no stepping) or decrease the step size. Every time you halve the step time you double the computation time. In my models I often have steps of 1/10000000 of a second. Even then I can get some glitching. As you can imagine, these models take a looooooooooog time to run. I estimated a 24hr race would take more than a century to calculate the physics accurately. Have some sympathy for the developers.... Not the Project Cars 3 developers - they appear to be taking the smeg.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 225 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 153 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.7%
  • < 5 years