Community Question | Light or Dark?

Love night racing but only in ACC because AMS2 has terrible shimmer on cars from headlights so it's day racing in AMS2 and night in ACC .

I like a race that's mostly day and transitions to night, or starts briefly before sunrise then goes to day, but just at night? Nah. It's a cool gimmick, but it gets boring real fast. Unlike rain or other elements that make it more difficult but fun, darkness is just difficult and boring. It adds nothing but makes it harder to see, that's frustrating not fun.

I love driving at Le Mans or the Nürburgring at night, but I do wish rF2 had better lights. I get by because I know every corner, but to be able to really see where I'm going would be nice :)

Knowing the circuit is key. I really like night time in sims but the sunset transition is the sweet spot for me.

I have recently been experimenting with night time appalling weather in ACC however... that is a lovely challenge!

Attachments

• 880DD56F-DB31-4D10-A5E8-5C65FE8ECB83.jpeg
    880DD56F-DB31-4D10-A5E8-5C65FE8ECB83.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 76
Love racing at night, very sim dependent though.

ACC does it well.

AC with CSP and Sol still looks the best to me.

rF2 looks good on certain tracks when you're by yourself, put another car infront of you and it falls apart, the paint shader reacts really weirdly at night, its like there's no falloff at distance cars look as bright 500m away as they do right in front of you.

AMS 2 isn't bad, car shaders still need work, they look oddly flat at times and in general some variation in track and headlight colour/falloff would do wonders for it.

Love night racing but only in ACC because AMS2 has terrible shimmer on cars from headlights so it's day racing in AMS2 and night in ACC .

Are you using MSAA, for me Supersampling: Low + SMAA Ultra give the best results.

For example Cascais @ 2am with clear skies, max settings 1440p with MSAA High averages 65fps, with SS Low + SMAA Ultra its 60fps. The shimmer isn't nearly as noticeable. The trailing edge of big wings is where its worst so more obvious on something like the MCR.

I have enough problems in full light that I don't do night very often. But it can be really fun on tracks I know well. I think I like the idea of it more than actually doing it, but that's the case in a lot of things for me in sim racing. It also really speaks to how many things I take in when picking braking points, etc.

If nothing else, it really makes me respect the guys who drive for real at night.

I do like racing in the dark, especially on tracks with a light sources (trackside objects, bbq's at nords, pitareas well illuminated) it gives so much immersion.

But if light sources are absent and you just drive in the pitch dark it's boring me pretty quickly. So it'd say it depends on the track / game.

I do like racing in the dark, especially on tracks with a light sources (trackside objects, bbq's at nords, pitareas well illuminated) it gives so much immersion.

But if light sources are absent and you just drive in the pitch dark it's boring me pretty quickly. So it'd say it depends on the track / game.
The Nordschleife is one of the best tracks of all for night driving, it's joint first with rF2s version from Le Mans :thumbsup:

Like most guys here love the dark, however...
since I'm probably not actually the best racer out there:rolleyes: I find it often gives me too much stress
so I mostly use this formula - racing at day free driving at night. Like in Project Cars 2 say... just enjoy the ride
on some preferably longer circuits you know... like Azuro, Caifornia or Nord...

Obviously most of the time I go for bright daylight races in good weather, but I love the feel of a good nighttime race or the transition from day to night in a longer race.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 340 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 469 39.0%