Community Question | Keeping Your Cool In Sim Racing

Since I'm a Rift CV1 user and wearing glasses I needed a solution against fog...

Other than that I'm in the basement, so it's quite chilly... Nonetheless sweating when really pushing hard etc. Byt no need for extra cooling then.

Air Conditioned room + a set of seaflows certainly helps a lot.

Even when it's 35 degrees (celcius) outside, my rig is one of the coolest places in the house. (in both ways :D )

When extreme hot in my office/sim room, the sun burning directly to my face and body through the window, I prefer wearing my older 80ies Ray-Ban's, a classic white shirt with rolled up sleeves.
Then turning on rFactor/GTR2/AC in a classic car demanding heel+toe and double clutch-out, to go on a track in hot Sicily, that'l be either Enna Pergusa, Targa Florio, Siracusa, Mini Autodromo Trapani or MBR Autodomo Vincenzo Florio, setting weather to hot sunny and driving out, preferably long runs without any opportunity to take a cold water drink.
And then trying to imagine the sensations on the bodies of Nino Vacarella, Leo Kinnunnen, Umberto Magliolo, Lorenzo Bandini, Helmut Marko, Giancarlo Baghetti, etc. for a 11 lap Targa Florio Race in the 60ies. already wrapped in sweat after a 72K round 1, feeling dehydration and blurred vision.

...or I'll go out in my garden, playing with my 5 year daugther.

Last edited:
This simply isn't an issue. I hear that England is in the low 20 right now. There's currently a windy storm here in Ireland, taking a bit of a break from torrential rain. It's rained all summer.

Hate summers in Brisbane. Winter now so it is perfect, 18 - 22 degrees in the day...so cool and nice.

Summer.....the record for my study is 41.6 C. We are 30+ from November to the end of March, with 33-38 most days December to February.

So, portable AC and ceiling fan is it....can just get it down to 28-30.

Hate summers in Brisbane. Winter now so it is perfect, 18 - 22 degrees in the day...so cool and nice.

Summer.....the record for my study is 41.6 C. We are 30+ from November to the end of March, with 33-38 most days December to February.

So, portable AC and ceiling fan is it....can just get it down to 28-30.
Now that's extreme ^_^

Good Question, I race in a small room so it gets hot when the PC is running a full pelt.

My solutions are I have a main front fan 16" standard desktop and also the same as a rear fan.
I have two small 8" fans on my rig angle toward my pedals, and when the going gets really tough I have a large cooler fan that has water and ice and blows as cold as I can get without AC.

All my fans are controlled by Alexa, so I can be often heard during race shouting echo foot fan 1 on or echo rear fan on does the job 9-10 times but still get a wee bit hot now and then nature of the beast

As a Brit that now lives in Austin, Texas, I'm still amazed by the miracle of full house air-conditioning. It'll get to 40c today, so you honestly couldnt live without it. So ironically, this is a bit of a non-issue for those of us that live in hot climates!

I'll admit, I thought of a different "keeping cool" when I initially read the question.

Being from Arizona (AKA that place where it's 300+ degrees during the summer and a much cooler 289 in the winter), I have a fan that points in the general direction of my desk chair, though my bed and desk occasionally block the airflow.

AC is as common in EU as it is everywhere. It's just that most people don't use it that much. In northern Europe it's rarely needed at all. For southern Europe anything below 30 is quite COOL. A normal summer is between 30-35. Hot is considered anything above 35 and "torrid" is those few days that reaches 40+. But even 35 feels quite nice when there's a lot of wind and low moisture.
Of course there are those few weird people who crank up the AC as soon as the thermometer reaches 25. I simply can't understand why.

Thanks for the info. I'm Canadian and I guess I am a polar bear: I hate it when it's hot and if the temperature was between 19 and 22celsius all the time, it would be perfect for me!

I remember a trip to Spain in June when it was really hot. The wind was blowing from Northern Africa and it was like having a hair dryer straight on my face!

Last edited:
Honestly, if you need cooling while sim racing, you must take your fitness level very seriously!

OK, if at your home is 30C - that's understandable. But still, you're better off skipping the next big rig update for an air conditioner ;)
But if it's normal room temperature and you need cooling, then your fitness must be terrible and if you improve your fitness, then you'll improve your lap times too.
Reflexes and concentration levels are improving massively with good cardio ;)
IMHO, the coach potato fitness level of most "aliens" is what prevents them from excelling when they're given a chance in a proper racing car.
Racing drivers are all very, very lean! Even in GTs where their weight doesn't matter!!!

Honestly, if you need cooling while sim racing, you must take your fitness level very seriously!

OK, if at your home is 30C - that's understandable. But still, you're better off skipping the next big rig update for an air conditioner ;)
But if it's normal room temperature and you need cooling, then your fitness must be terrible and if you improve your fitness, then you'll improve your lap times too.
IMHO, the coach potato fitness level of most "aliens" is what prevents them from excelling when they're given a chance in a proper racing car.
Racing drivers are all very, very lean! Even in GTs where their weight doesn't matter!!!

Lol man, I dont think its just the minimal physical activity required to control a simulator that gets people sweaty.. I think a huge factor is the excitement, the intensity, the adrenaline that does it. Add that to the few degrees over your comfort level and you get, well, this topic...

I am reasonably fit for my age (54). I bike, run or walk regularly. I still find that my body temp increases a bit when I simrace. Nothing dramatic, but I feel hotter after some time behind the wheel. I think it is because of the excitement and the intensity.

• Deleted member 963434

i have fan pointed at my legs an butt, also opened window, recently i must open PC case cause too lazy to vacuum my PC an it started to thermalthrottling after 1 hour gameplay, but it happens every summer

Hello everyone. I was wondering about this Uno attached to the fans. Where can I find more info on what its intents are? Oh yea and I have a floor fan and air conditioning.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 493 39.3%