Community Question | How Often Do You Race?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Time is our foe - often we don't have enough to do what we want, but too much to do the things we don't like. Such is the challenge of life, and usually it means fun things fall by the wayside...

I'm particularly "time challenged" these days, with various real world and sim racing commitments, juggling against the need to engage in family life and all that goes with it. Just today, I found myself looking at my sim racing room, and wondering just when I'll be able to carve some time out to use all that awesome gear I've collected over the years.

That led me on to a question I thought would be worth asking the community - how much time do you actually find to be able to go sim racing?

Are you a "grab 10 minutes whenever possible to hotlap" type of person, or do you schedule in a set period of time per day/week/month to ensure some quality time behind the virtual wheel?

It's an interesting question, and one with literally hundreds of different answers - I'm looking forward to seeing how much actual driving we get to do, rather than engaging in polls here on RD!

Over to you....

Time footer.jpg

Last edited:
From the end of February until the first 2 weeks of September (so from the start of the lockdown until the end of summer holidays) i was racing almost every day lol
Now with the school and other personal problems i race usually 3/4 times per week

Last edited:
I typically do 2 races a week but I will be in the sim most days practising either laps or against AI in preparation. So it really depends what doing a race means really. Most of the time is practice.

I never finished AC career so have been working on that, but if I race too much I become bored with it so usually a few times a week.
My primary entertainment (Motorcycles) consumes much more of my free time and money these days. It's hard to put sim racing up against a quick spin on top of the Ducati, or a long day ride on the V-strom.

I mean I got ~2700 hours in AC, but only the tiniest fraction of that is online racing against real competitors, most is short AI races, some hotlapping, a lot of AI controlled driving to get balancing of mods right etc..

..back in my LFS days I basically had a schedule of "Friday ~19:00, racing till it's time to hit the clubs"

My answer is a little misleading (5x a week). I race in a league that runs every OTHER week. But, if I have 10 minutes to jump into something I'll do it (a 9% Nascar Heat race for example) or every Thursday I'll jump into Forza Horizon 4 and grab some of the weekly achievements. Yesterday I raced more on my phone (Gran Turismo from the PSP) than I did on my computer!!

Well, I practice quite a bit but race only a few times a week, mostly race AI. But that will all be changing soon when I finally after 32 years at my job retire on Dec 5th!! Then it will definitely be almost daily, except if my wife is reading this then it will not change from what I am doing now.

My turn... emm i have a wife and kids and a fulltime job too (no pets :p) so my time is also limited.
I try to race Tuesday or Wednesday (or both!) at the evening when kids are to bed, for lets say 2 hours.
Sometimes friday evening too. Then depending on the situation (weather / wifes state of mind) i try too add some hours on weekend too (2-8h)
So all in all not that bad :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 104 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 278 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing