Community Question | Have You Ever Run An Endurance Race?

Those are the best and worst of simracing experience: prepare a setup and a strategy with a mate, react to the unexpected, learn to play the long game, awesome stuff; and then a game bug sometimes ruins all of that in a second.
Helmuth van Moltke : "No plan survives contact with the enemy"
Endurance Racer : "No setup survives contact with the barrier."

I don't mind a race spoiled by a big crash. It is the bug that is a real pain in the butt. In my experience it happened a lot more in team events than in solo events.

@Daniel Monteiro - I admire your cool approach. When you see simracing as a game more than a sim, the pill is harder to swallow. ;)

Yes and it is my favorite type of racing by far. If only I had more time for it. Everything from planning the strategy to balancing how hard you push is just amazing to me.

I voted no, and I wonder how would it work? I'm not going to race for 4+ hours. If there was a way to say, come into the pits and then 'swap' online drivers, i'd consider doing it.

P3 at the 2019 iRacing 24 Hours of Daytona in a Ford GT, that's been my only online endurance race. But offline I've done a few, my favourite was a 64 car 8 hours of Spa with x3 weather in Assetto Corsa. Came P2 in a McLaren 720 cause I got spun by a backmarker Porsche last lap :mad::mad:

How in the **** did you do a 24 hours race online?

I had done some, mostly in iRacing.

First one was P1's 24h of Nurburgring in RF2. We had technical issues (because RF2...), and had to come from last to P7. It was still a great experience.

Today our team finished P3 in iRacing 24h of Daytona and it was just the best experience I ever had in simracing. The battle for P3 made the last 2h a sprint race and we finished about 7s ahead of P4.

EnduranceRaces.jpg

@JimLee Anytime, Baby! ;) We'll just go ahead and make your day! :D

As long as we can beat the Bugs and Superbugs again! ;)

I voted no, and I wonder how would it work? I'm not going to race for 4+ hours. If there was a way to say, come into the pits and then 'swap' online drivers, i'd consider doing it.
Technically you don't have to, I did it myself and normally if you are not alone you tend to limit it to a max of 3 hours like IRL.
But anything shorter is fine as well. In that 12 hour race we ran 2 hour stints, because that was what the others were most comfortable with.
For more details, read below.

Simple, you get a team together and do driver swaps just like irl. iRacing has driver swaps, a full day/night cycle and dynamic track on top of being able to make a team with a designated number

Yub exactly that's how we did it, and you can do it with some trickery even in sims that do not support like Assetto Corsa.
We had to call in with the organizers though, so that they knew when a driver swap was on. Also the slots (cars) were assigned to various players and you could only enter once the other was out.

But that gives the organizers a lot of work, and the results can take a few days to trundle in. ;)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%