Community Question | Do You Still Regularly Play 'Old' Sims?

Absolutely, content is king on my pc, If the newer gen racing games/sims had all the content of let's say Factor or GTL, then sure I'd not need them but the fact is, some older tracks and most definitely much of the older series car mods just haven't got it right yet, maybe they will in time but until then, I'll relive the '60-70s stuff in the older games...I don't need the flash as much as I need the content

Racing games exist as a snapshot of the times and at least do advance with technology so no real need to go back, new games usually do things better than the ones before them.

It's not like retro gaming where you may fancy a spot of Snes 2d gaming or an blast on some arcade games in MAME were distint eras have different styles. It's just a simulation of driving that gets closer to reality as we move on. The Grand Prix Legends mods pretty much satisify and desire I would have to move backwards at all.

"After a few hours"...ha, well, that may explain why it's never been a problem with me! At my life stage - kids, work, house chores, etc - I can easily count on one hand how many times over the last ~10 yrs I've raced for "a few hours" in a single sitting I'm lucky to get a few hours in over the course of a week! :laugh:
Well I‘m in the same boat. or was in the same boat. Now I’m in the position I can race long sessions. :D

I made the terrible mistake of purchasing a VR headset. I literally cannot drive on a flat screen anymore (trust me, I'm trying :roflmao:)

When I first tried racing in VR it was the original Vive, in Project Cars. The technology just wasn't quite there though - the visuals just were not up to it.

Now I have Vive Pro and PC2, and a steering wheel - it is probably, arguably, the most immersive gaming experience I've ever had.

I still race league's flat screen though because I am unsure about a VR session of over 2 hours competitive racing - so when I am racing competitively I use flat screen, for mind blowing immersive fun, I put on the VR HMD.

I have most the older STEAM racing games and try them out once and a while just for a change of paste. Many of them I can use VORPX with my Rift S headset and most work fairly well. Couple of them that aren't on STEAM are Nascar 2003 and GPL and also work with VORPX. And they all work with my Thrustmaster TMX wheel.

I used to do Indycar 2, but since it does not work on Windows systems without Doxbox, I have retired the DOS game and have found all the tracks and cars to work in Rfactor2 and Assetto Corsa making them my new Indycar 2.

I used to, but have enough new sims ( AMS2, RRE, AC, F1 2017 and good ol' AMS1) that I dont feel the need, especially with all the mods available for AC. I still have GTR2 and HistorX for RF1 installed, though....just haven't touch them for ages.

I have to be honest, on GTR2 I won 4 European endurance championships, I played that simulator until I consumed the disc (unfortunately the disc no longer works today), I also raced on Race 07, but like everything else it has a beginning and an end , and except for a few sporadic single Race07 races, I haven't used older sims for at least 4 years.
Reluctantly I decided to go ahead and the oldest SIM I use is rfactor2. Today I run on 3 main simulators, Assetto Corsa, Assetto Corsa Competizione and Project Cars 2, less on others like F1 and the like.

Once or twice a year, I fire up GPL, and drive a lap or two, but somehow, it doesn't feel or drive anything like I remember it to have felt and driven in the old days. Memory's a b*tch I guess...:unsure:

Once or twice a year, I fire up GPL, and drive a lap or two, but somehow, it doesn't feel or drive anything like I remember it to have felt and driven in the old days. Memory's a b*tch I guess...:unsure:
Same with my retro gaming. Built myself an arcade unit, filled it will thousands of games.....spend about a minute on a game....this is rubbish these days! The gold is still gold but anything less gets filtered out quickly. Makes you realise most Atari 2600 games were trash.

AMS 1 without doubt... In my opinion there is no sim in the market that achieves the level of exigence that Automobilista 1 does. It is so demanding when trying to push to the limit...not even rFactor 2, makes me enjoy as much, though it is my favourite sim since AMS 1 has not player database already, such a shame
Try AMS2... The FFB and VR are pretty darn impressive.

Well, it won't be a surprise, for me the king of sims is still GTR2 for its rock solid base (I did not play stock game for many years though) and for its MODDING CAPABILITIES : buy 3DSimEd+GTR2+any other sim or mod = you can make and play YOUR OWN SIM/Mod for your personal usage and not the game designed by few people from a studio for all the folks in the world. I like to play newer sims for the instant fun they can give you but I get bored quite quickly simply because most of these new sims are no more moddable : only playing a game as it was built like kids do is definitely not for me, there are always things you don't like and you can only fix/change them to your taste if game is moddable like GTR2/AC/RF2.
Best mods are the ones you make yourself : the past 6 months I have spent more time in 3dSimed/Gimp/Notepad++ than in any sim :D
In GTR2 10th Anniversary Patch I have fixed many bugs/glitches the past 5 years : if it was not moddable then I would have surely abandoned GTR2 long time ago.

Well, it won't be a surprise, for me the king of sims is still GTR2 for its rock solid base (I did not play stock game for many years though) and for its MODDING CAPABILITIES : buy 3DSimEd+GTR2+any other sim or mod = you can make and play YOUR OWN SIM/Mod for your personal usage and not the game designed by few people from a studio for all the folks in the world. I like to play newer sims for the instant fun they can give you but I get bored quite quickly simply because most of these new sims are no more moddable : only playing a game as it was built like kids do is definitely not for me, there are always things you don't like and you can only fix/change them to your taste if game is moddable like GTR2/AC/RF2.
Best mods are the ones you make yourself : the past 6 months I have spent more time in 3dSimed/Gimp/Notepad++ than in any sim :D
In GTR2 10th Anniversary Patch I have fixed many bugs/glitches the past 5 years : if it was not moddable then I would have surely abandoned GTR2 long time ago.

Just my words. GTR2 and rFactor1 are stille very alive due to the enormous amount of free quality mods and the free modding opportunities available and very easy accessible file structure. Bob's Track Builder should also be mentioned. Even with standard and small extension package, you are able to make reasonable tracks for rF (and GTR2 conversions) with BTB.

In newer sims like rF2, AMS2, you have to open your wallet a lot (exception is AC with quite a database of free mods too) to obtain new stuff. Quite expensive, but hey I somehow understand some modders not willing to work for free all the way. Must say that many free +10 yr mods still holds very high quality to this day.

And big THANKS for the newest Anniversary patch - which makes me play the 'standard package' a bit longer ;) BUT for me GTR2, rFactor1 and AC is 99% about all the free mods. Though ACC has made me going more online again in CP events, I still fall back on the continous development of free car- and track mods for GTR2, rF1 and AC.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back