Community Question | Best Racing Game of All Time?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Opinions, opinions, opinions.... everyone has one, and none of them are ever wrong, but that isn't going to stop us having a good old fashioned debate now, is it?!?

The rules of this little conversation piece are simple - please stay respectful to each other even if you don't agree with what is being said.. let's have fun, not war!

The question I want to throw out to the sim racing community here at RaceDepartment is a simple one on face value, but something of a challenge when you take a moment to sit back and think about the many possibilities, and why a certain game might resonate with you personally.

In scope for this discussion are racing games of any variety whatsoever. From hardcore sim to arcade racer, management game, top down fun run and everything in between!

So good people of RD - what is the Best Racing Game of all Time, in your opinion?

Last edited:
Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005).

Best racing, cops, good graphics, good sound, diverse car field, badass soundtrack, good polish, tuning, singleplayer career, nice tracks, good gameplay variety etc.

I'm not joking becuz:
In scope for this discussion are racing games of any variety whatsoever. From hardcore sim to arcade racer, management game, top down fun run and everything in between!

If it was to base it on straight up hours spent playing it, it would have to be RF2 (not even a close 2nd) but rf2 is definitely far from perfect as a lot of people know so I'm not sure I could call it best ever.

Visually AC and ACC

Best managed iRacing

Best endurance due to VEC - RF2, but if it wasn't for VEC I'd probably play more iracing.

So my totally not concisive vote goes to AC, ACC, iracing and rf2 :roflmao:

Just like it's hard to compare drivers from different eras, it's hard to compare games from the past with the current ones, considering what current day programmers can do with modern technology. My first racing game was Grand Prix Circuit by Accolade for the Mac and that was more than 30 years ago. So I've seen a *lot* of them.

I would say that the game that gave me the most pleasure was probably Grand Prix 2 by Geoff Crammond. I played that thing for years, with a keyboard no less. Best of all time? I don't know, but I remember it very fondly.

Today, there are a lot of really great games, so it's more difficult to pick a "best" game. I own AC, ACC, R3E, F1 2019, AMS and I just got AMS2. Each game is enjoyable and very well made, but back when I had GP2 on my old PC, I only played one game. Now, like many of you I'm sure, I go from one game to another and I like them all.

• Deleted member 197115

I don't know what should happen to replace the elephant that AC has become with all modding support.
And user base only keeps growing.
1587005484184.png

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 167 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 320 27.9%