Commentary during replays

Just for fun, would be really cool if they could get John Hindhaugh and other racing commentators to record some typical racing soundbites that could intelligently played back during a race replay.

...."extraordinary stuff!"...."he's gone off! he's gone off!"...."absolutely extraordinary!"...

A few soundbites will only get stale after hearing them a few times. If a feature like this were to be included then it would need to be done in depth, and then suddenly you are looking at a massive feature that would take a lot of developer resources. One very important aspect of racing simulator game design is that the game is designed with high replayability in mind.

Dirt Rally 2.0 for example has a feature where Phil Mills, a world champion co-driver who is a great co-driver in the actual stage, says some line after you finish the stage. The number of different lines he has is very low, and he never has anything meaningful to say in his post-race soundbites (as opposed to a race engineer who tells you important information) so the feature only makes the game worse after you have heard the same typical soundbites enough times where they become dull and stale, and it's just painful having to hear the same stuff yet again for the umpteenth time. Numerous players, myself included, requested an option to disable it which the developer thankfully added. It's the kind of feature that needs to be done properly, otherwise it's better not including it at all.

3 soundbites, 2 of which are the same, 2 of which mean nothing, and one is stating the bleeding obvious twice, is a great example of the kind of commentary that would get stale very, very quick.

Last edited:
A few soundbites will only get stale after hearing them a few times. If a feature like this were to be included then it would need to be done in depth, and then suddenly you are looking at a massive feature that would take a lot of developer resources. One very important aspect of racing simulator game design is that the game is designed with high replayability in mind.

Dirt Rally 2.0 for example has a feature where Phil Mills, a world champion co-driver who is a great co-driver in the actual stage, says some line after you finish the stage. The number of different lines he has is very low, and he never has anything meaningful to say in his post-race soundbites (as opposed to a race engineer who tells you important information) so the feature only makes the game worse after you have heard the same typical soundbites enough times where they become dull and stale, and it's just painful having to hear the same stuff yet again for the umpteenth time. Numerous players, myself included, requested an option to disable it which the developer thankfully added. It's the kind of feature that needs to be done properly, otherwise it's better not including it at all.

3 soundbites, 2 of which are the same, 2 of which mean nothing, and one is stating the bleeding obvious twice, is a great example of the kind of commentary that would get stale very, very quick.
Sorry, this is a "just for fun" idea.,,,

And I wasn't suggesting only 3 soundbites, that would be ridiculous. And, it would only risk getting monotonous if you replay every race. (I myself only replay races occasionally if I'm happy with the results).

This is a forum for suggestions.
I added this idea because a few years ago, I was playing a golf game on xbox where they had authentic commentary during the match and it made it feel more real and fun. And, I've experimented with making videos (for friends only) where I run an AC race replay and mix TV commentary for a similar race in the background. The result is way more interesting than the replay without background commentary. In fact, what the commentators are saying isn't even that important for the affect. Just having their voices talking during the race makes it feel more real. And let's face it, the commentary topics and phrases from one race to another are basically the same. So, it could be achieved by simply mining existing race commentary and grabbing typical phrases and having the software insert them where applicable. Kinda like Crewchief using telemetry to know your position, when you're being rushed or when you're following another closely, when you overtake, when you complete a lap...

Again, this is just for fun, not a priority. But, I think it would be cool.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 239 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 238 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 298 13.4%