1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured Comment: Tell Us Your Motorsport 2017 Highlights

Discussion in 'Motorsports' started by Paul Jeffrey, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +14,005
    Motorsport Highlights 2017.jpg
    On the last day of 2017 we would love to hear your personal highlights from the big wide world of motorsport. Formula One, Touring Cars, GT and everything in between!

It has been a busy year for motorsport competition in 2017 with some fabulous goods news stories hidden in between the dark patches of the sport scattered throughout the year. Motorsport fans have had some pretty major downs this year, from the mass exodus of manufactures from series such as the DTM and WEC P1 categories, to another relatively dull year of Grand Prix racing, however despite the obvious darker sides to the sport we have had some corking good stories to tell as well.

What has been the highlight of 2017 for you personally? Maybe you visited a race for the first time in person? Maybe you got an extra buzz from the brilliant season finale in the Australian Supercar series? Did you enjoy watching the title fight between Hamilton and Vettel or maybe basked in the glory of an ever strengthening GT3/GTE/GTAM endurance category? Inspired by the spirited and heart warming fightback of Billy Monger following his horror accident or enjoying the continued resurgence of the World Rallycross series? Tell us all about it in the comments section and share the motorsport love!

Probably the last cheeky beg of the year, and you probably already know the drill but just in case he goes (thanks to copy and paste)... If you want to give us a nice New Year present then please feel free to hit the subscribe button on our various different content outlets highlighted below. More subscribers gives us better opportunities to do cooler stuff, so spread the word and let's make 2018 even better than ever before!

RaceDepartment YouTube
    RaceDepartment Twitter
    RaceDepartment Facebook
    RaceDepartment Twitch
    RaceDepartment Instagram

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  2. samcar304

samcar304

Ratings:
    +369
    Seeing Newgarden win the Indycar championship. Followed him since i first seen him at Oulton Park in Formula Ford. Was very happy to see him win the Astor Cup.

Also Truex winning the Nascar championship.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. FeltHat

FeltHat
    Premium

Ratings:
    +917
    i think i only watched le mans24, it was super fun!
    ill wait for more posts so i can check em out ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bpeigne35

bpeigne35

Ratings:
    +17
    Birthday present: 10 laps in Loheac France with a Porsche 991 GT3 :):):)

• Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 5
  5. Rodent

Rodent
    Premium

Ratings:
    +308
    The Aston Martin/Corvette duel the last minutes of Le Mans, some of the greatest sprint racing all year and it happened after over 23h 45 minutes of racing.

A close runner up would be Jackie Chan Racing almost taking the overall win at the same event. The LMP1s were a disgrace and I would've been a much happier camper with a LMP2 that had fought it's way to victory on the track and not in the garage/wallet to the win. But oh well, that's endurance racing. I'm sure JCR were real happy with the result they got.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  6. bengoldring

bengoldring

Ratings:
    +164
    For me, Virgin Australia V8 Super car, the whole season was awsome. But if I was to pick one race weekend, it would have to be Newcastle - what a track.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Shaun Clarke

Shaun Clarke
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,456
    I know this would not be on anybody's radar, but watching Dan Kirby (Ginetta Supercup) going from last to take 2nd in class at my local circuit while I was there, part of the team....just a total amazing experience. (it was live on TV LOL)

and here it is......

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Beer Beer x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  8. DucMan888

DucMan888
    Premium

Ratings:
    +218
    Being a longtime fan of the IMSA/Camel GT series in North America, the resurgence of sports car racing is very encouraging with the influx of manufacturers and drivers from all corners of the world is fantastic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  9. Hygge

Hygge

Ratings:
    +38
    Visiting Malaysia this year again and watching the last F1 race at Sepang. And as it turned out to be one of the better races this year the trip was well worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PsychOXRat

PsychOXRat
    Better than Maldonado Premium

Ratings:
    +37
    Won tickets to the BTCC final by setting the fastest time on a simulator at Snetterton (the only place I've ever watched racing) a few weeks prior to it turns out that Brands Hatch is quite a lot busier during the BTCC weekend than Snetterton. Also got to see the Porsche Le Mans car and sit inside of the 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 car, I believe I was the only member of public allowed to do that. That's probably my motorsport highlight of 2017

• Like Like x 4
    • Beer Beer x 1
  11. Shaun Clarke

Shaun Clarke
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,456
    Damn you was @Snetty and BH final event, I was at both with Dan Kirby and we missed each other LOL

12. Joel Eckman

Joel Eckman

Ratings:
    +5
    • Like Like x 4
  13. nico80131

nico80131

Ratings:
    +39
    Toyota losing 2 cars in 10 minutes at Le Mans

• Haha Haha x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  14. snyperal

snyperal
    Premium

Ratings:
    +99
    I enjoyed the start of the gt3 race at monza, looked exactly like any public lobby race. Also the pile up in macau, millions of pounds of crashed automotive beauty.

• Haha Haha x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Vincent.C

Vincent.C
    Another WEC driver ! Premium

Ratings:
    +132
    Frédéric Sausset at Le Mans.

Sausset was the first ever quadruple amputee to enter and finish the mythical 24 Hours of Le Mans, the most difficult race in the world of motorsports.

Lot of hope for all disabled people ! #clapclap

Edit 01/01/18 : My bad, it was in 2016 ; not in 2017

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Beer Beer x 1
  16. MoerasGrizzly

MoerasGrizzly
    Premium

Ratings:
    +483

And honestly, all of the Formula E this year. From the new race with Sam Bird managing to get *just* out in front of second place after a drivetrough penalty to, well, that mexico race. It may be slow, you may think it's a glorified karting race but that's actually the best possible thing: It's karting, but with more glory. What's not to like? :p

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Robert Stanley

Robert Stanley
    Premium

Ratings:
    +24
    GT battle at Le Mans; hope the WEC listened to the fans response to the survey they put out, stoked for the new Vantage GTE this year, built with a purpose from the ground up :geek:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. farjam

farjam

Ratings:
    +32
    Jackie Chan DC Racing:D

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  19. pcraenme

pcraenme
    Premium

Ratings:
    +31
    Max Verstappen's 2nd GP win of his career, in Malaysia, beating Hamilton, Ricciardo and Vettel. Hopefully we see a lot of competition between these 4 in years to come! :D

20. Giorgos Kostis

Giorgos Kostis

Ratings:
    +93
    Lance Stroll getting a podium in the Azerbaijan GP

• Disagree Disagree x 4