Collision physics

I find that the collision physics are not very realistic.

Got 2 examples, both from last nights Clio/Nissan race.

Me and Pete had an incident where we both ended up off track after a side by side bump - nothing major. I would of expected a side by side bump to not really do anything, other than maybe unsettle the car slightly, not for the 2 cars to bounce off each other and end up spinning off into the barriers.

Another example was after the race after we all had finished, and parking up after turn 1. At about 10mph or so, I just bumped the back of another Clio and they shot forward about 6 feet whereas I came to an abrupt halt.

Similar things happen when you roll the cars, they go into hyperdrive and start rolling and bouncing even more rather than shaking off speed and slowing down.

Are there any config settings that can be changed for this? Or is it down to ISI needing to rethink this over and make the cars less like bouncy castles and more like cars with a solid structure.

I wouldn't think you could change anything in the settings regarding the collision physics. I notice this myself when racing, the slightest bump seems to be amplified more than it should. I don't know whether lag plays any party of this, as sometimes you don't think you have made contact when you have. I don't race offline so couldn't compare.

I've always found the crash physics to be a bit...over dramatic in rF2. Lost count of the amount barrel rolls and back flips I've done in this game after lightly hitting an armco, and the g-forces you would get in some of the spins would have the drivers brains all over the interior. I assumed that is something that would be addressed in later builds, at least I hope it is...

another video challenge from me...only because i lost the one I was going to upload.

at croft on the first turn, there is a run off ramp/speed bump just to the right.
take a megan or something more powerful, drive up full speed to the speed bump and see how far you can clear the fence whilst also paying attention to how many car parts you lose. next, send it to ISI.

I vaguely remember a nascar game I played in 1995 on a mates pc. i was useless playing with the keyboard. however, i always loved the big smash ups when i went off. car parts everywhere and they were layered.slight shunt and you may lose part or the whole engine cover. a side light might come off but extreme collisions and so many parts would be lost in the right place. rfactor 2 is not anywhere near finished in this area so I hope they fix it. To me though, it is more of a priority than the veins on drivers hands and advertising details (on hoardings) that they have recently added. surprising

haha I would love it too if some more bits would fall/break etc. They will make it better in the future (Marussia is already a good example with the front wing which can brake into multiple pieces), but they stated that visual damage is not a major focus for them for now, simulating damage in the physics is something more likely to be improved or newly implemented. I guess when ISI is more comfortable with the development of Rfactor2, they will focuse more on the visual damage. (they already said for example that there will be paint swapping when you hit each other)

haha I would love it too if some more bits would fall/break etc. They will make it better in the future (Marussia is already a good example with the front wing which can brake into multiple pieces), but they stated that visual damage is not a major focus for them for now, simulating damage in the physics is something more likely to be improved or newly implemented. I guess when ISI is more comfortable with the development of Rfactor2, they will focuse more on the visual damage. (they already said for example that there will be paint swapping when you hit each other)

something strange happened yesterday. I drove in the marrussia and had invulnerability turned on.
i raced up to timo glock as he crossed the finish line (1 lap after finish) into the pits. we collided. i did the usual multiple spins in the pits (in the air) and when i landed, my right wheel was pointing vertically.i then did a 10 point turn to return perfectly into my pit box.:roflmao:

another video challenge from me...only because i lost the one I was going to upload.

at croft on the first turn, there is a run off ramp/speed bump just to the right.
take a megan or something more powerful, drive up full speed to the speed bump and see how far you can clear the fence whilst also paying attention to how many car parts you lose. next, send it to ISI.

I vaguely remember a nascar game I played in 1995 on a mates pc. i was useless playing with the keyboard. however, i always loved the big smash ups when i went off. car parts everywhere and they were layered.slight shunt and you may lose part or the whole engine cover. a side light might come off but extreme collisions and so many parts would be lost in the right place. rfactor 2 is not anywhere near finished in this area so I hope they fix it. To me though, it is more of a priority than the veins on drivers hands and advertising details (on hoardings) that they have recently added. surprising
Oh man I spent many nights as an 8, 9 and 10 year old playing NASCAR 1 & 2. Because of licensing issues I suppose, neither of them had Daytona, but I'd go backwards on Talladega all day and night just to sit there and watch the crashes in the replay over and over. Even as a grown man I would still do this to this day if a game had good enough damage modeling. Pretty sad that the mid-90's had the last game that really focused on damage and particle effects etc..

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back