Collidable trees/objects - a solution

Collidable trees/objects/walls - a solution

Since there's a bug about setting collisions for objects (all of the same kind have to be collide or some of them will disapear) and (second) setting collisions for all objects can harm the performance/framerates, I've made a simple object for use as collision column. This object can be visible in BTB (so you can easily find them). After export - replace the texture with one supported and rename it to proper name.
[UPDATE (I erased some previous text to avoid misunderstanding)]: the XPacks is available in Dowload section:
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/bobs-track-builder-37/collisions-3748/
I think this may be a solution for those who can't make own xpacks. You can easily switch off collisions from your trees/similar objects and place this object as the collision column. Don't forget to make a new slot for them in the BTB's objects list :)

Attachments

• collideTree.jpg
    collideTree.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 467
Even for those who can make their own XPacks, it's a good idea when we use trees made by other people. However you don't need to rename any textures after exporting. Objects, SObjects and Walls all have a Render property that you can uncheck. The item will still show in BTB but not in the game.

Here's another tip. If you look at the attached image, you'll see a screenshot of ISI's Silverstone track for rFactor. Instead of using the armco and fences for the collisions, they used a couple of very tall invisible 'walls'. That'll allow more detail to be added to barriers and trackside buildings without making the collision calculations any more complex.

Attachments

• boundary.jpg
    boundary.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 397
Thanks R Soul, good ideas - I also use this kind of invisible walls, but this time I was thinking about trees.. I don't know how it works on other computers neither in rFactor, but on my system if I set collisions "on" and render - "off" - the object is not visible, but also not collidable. I think it's another thing that could work better.
Now - say we have 250 trees on the map (the same kind and texture sheet), just 35 of them are crucial for making the track more real - they have task to destroy cars falling on them ;) Then, it's impossible to set collisions "on" for just those 35, because the rest will disapear... Making all of them (and also hundreds of another ones) collidable really make big calculations... So, my idea was to make simple object that you can hide inside a tree. The LOD setiing of "1" makes it invisible even if I drive directly on it with a camera on the bumper. But this is on my machine and in RBR. So, if on some other machine the object can be visible, it's possible to change the "collision" texture" for the one that has alpha channel (the texture inside xpack has no alpha channel, so BTB will show it).
Also, on my system I have to build walls with 100% transparency - both collidable and rendered :)
I'm preparing a quite big xpack with trees, mostly from Poland (or with some regional look), maybe some BTB mates will find them interesting :)

Thanks R Soul, good ideas - I also use this kind of invisible walls, but this time I was thinking about trees.. I don't know how it works on other computers neither in rFactor, but on my system if I set collisions "on" and render - "off" - the object is not visible, but also not collidable. I think it's another thing that could work better.
Now - say we have 250 trees on the map (the same kind and texture sheet), just 35 of them are crucial for making the track more real - they have task to destroy cars falling on them ;) Then, it's impossible to set collisions "on" for just those 35, because the rest will disapear... Making all of them (and also hundreds of another ones) collidable really make big calculations... So, my idea was to make simple object that you can hide inside a tree. The LOD setiing of "1" makes it invisible even if I drive directly on it with a camera on the bumper. But this is on my machine and in RBR. So, if on some other machine the object can be visible, it's possible to change the "collision" texture" for the one that has alpha channel (the texture inside xpack has no alpha channel, so BTB will show it).
Also, on my system I have to build walls with 100% transparency - both collidable and rendered :)
I'm preparing a quite big xpack with trees, mostly from Poland (or with some regional look), maybe some BTB mates will find them interesting :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back