Coffs Harbour Version 1.0

Hey fellas,
just spent the last few weeks improving my Coffs Race track. You can get it at rFactorCentral
If you like it, please vote and add it to your Hall of Fame. I also have a couple of servers running the track. 1 for Historix and the other TCL.
cheers

It takes a while to validate data for big uploads.

Very good track btw, obviously more of an art piece or time trial track than racing, but excellent nonetheless.

I did take an RS500 round the track though - can you forgive me? :D

A big improvement on the previous version, but I still think it's too hard to see which way to go at the roundabouts. You may find it easy but of course you've spent ages working on the track. The rest of us haven't. I suggest marker boards before each one, at say 200, 100 and 50 meters and placed on one side of the track as per the usual race track convention.

Like the people commenting on rfactorcentral, I'm having problems with framerate. Here are a few suggestions:
The spectator objects are way too high detailed. I know 3d people look good but in a racing game 2d is far better if you want to have a crowd.

The barriers are made up of red and white blocks with a metal fence attached. By default those can be collided with, but I don't think that's a good idea. I don't know exactly when rfactor starts doing collision calculations on a specific object, but the SObject in question has so many highly concentrated polygons that it would surely give the game something to think about. I suggest turning off the collisions and pacing an unrendered plain wall around them, and using that as the collision object. Drastically fewer polygons -> easier to calculate collision physics. Of course you may have already done that, but when I tried to look at the track in 3dSimed, the program ran out of memory.

The parked cars are a bit high-poly too.

All of the things I mentioned have come from the GB (RBR) XPack. Since rally tracks tend to have fewer spectators, fewer barriers, and fewer parked cars in view, I imagine they could get away with having more detail in single objects, but with many of them in view, frame rates start to suffer.

G'day Martin,
I finally got to downloading the track. I'm stuck up at uni with only a keyboard to drive with but it was a blast. Can't wait to try it with the G25 fighting with the crown and camber around the track.
Went the wrong way through a couple of roundabouts but they'll be good with the wheel too ;)

A couple of things that stood out for me in terms of offering feedback:

1) in some parts the road dissapears from the mirrors. I've had that problem and i believe it is caused by a track section being too long. Just stick another one or two (depending on the distance) track surface somewhere along the lenght of the dissappearing bits and it should be ok.

2) you don't seem to have used the background blend tool with a Google Earth image. I guess if you used one image to cover Coffs it would be pretty well stretched but still, on mid-field and distant terrain it's the best thing. Maybe you could try 2x 1024x1024 (or even 2x 2048x2048) maps to cover the area. Longford has 1x 2048. It takes a bit of work but it works like magic mate. It's BTB's secret weapon!

Otherwise, thanks for all the effort you've clearly put in. Once i get back to my wheel it'll get real workout. :thumbup:

Hey fellas,
just spent the last few weeks improving my Coffs Race track. You can get it at rFactorCentral
If you like it, please vote and add it to your Hall of Fame. I also have a couple of servers running the track. 1 for Historix and the other TCL.
cheers

thanks again whoochoo, i worked out the blending.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 356 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%